Urch Forums

Current Student Hangout/Question Thread

doingfine

I think we need a place to talk/*****/etc. And it can be a place for the applicants to get insights into what the real biz PhD life is like.

Yes?

I'm having a whiskey at home after a long week. Going to force myself to do no work whatsoever tomorrow (but sadly enough will spend most of the day on errands/grocery shopping/cleaning/etc), and will spend at least 6-7 hours on Sunday doing readings and other work.

I like this idea. I have plans to go into the office for a few hours tomorrow and catch up on RA work and read and summarize 2 papers this weekend.

Had a micro econ midterm today that I actually feel good about. It's a nice feeling after bombing the final last semester.

Two papers? What?

I have about 15 to read and take notes on in the next couple of days.

What year are you?

I like this idea. I have plans to go into the office for a few hours tomorrow and catch up on RA work and read and summarize 2 papers this weekend.

Had a micro econ midterm today that I actually feel good about. It's a nice feeling after bombing the final last semester.

If I remember correctly, you are in accounting right? How is it going with Micro and Metrics sequences? Are you taking them with the Econ students? What was your math background like before?

Two papers? What?

I have about 15 to read and take notes on in the next couple of days.

What year are you?

I'm a first year. Only taking one seminar this semester and that professor prefers to do fewer papers in more depth. However, they are working papers and I'll have to be able to describe how they fit into prior literature. So I'll have to look a few more papers up.

Gc, I am in accounting. Micro has been a challenge, it is with the econ phd students. I had calc 2, linear algebra, Probability, and a few applied stats courses coming in to it. So I was definitely under prepared for it. I also had my first baby like 3 days before a midterm last semester. That didn't make anything easier. I feel back on track now though, had a test yesterday and it went fairly well. The econ TAs have been good about covering math that we should need so I know what to go study.

I elected to put metrics off until next year. I'm taking some stuff through the stats department now. It's been pretty easy and should help me get the metrics stuff better.

Had a metrics exam yesterday. Went ok, not great. Oh well, I'm starting to worry less and less about my grades as my research business picks up.

At a coffee shop now working on some problems sets. We don't take our first seminar until next quarter, so my reading load has been light, however, I have been fortunate enough to be able to get involved in several projects with faculty members already, outside of RA work, and that eats up plenty of time.

I'm not going to lie to the current applicants; there are some dark days in your first year(s). There are days I feel like quitting. And there are these minor victories that bring you back for more. It's actually somewhat like golf. That one good shot in a round full of ****** ones keeps bringing you back to the course.

Anyway, I love this idea, misery loves company, right?! :encouragement:

@doingfine: what kind of whiskey do you like?

****ING econometrics.

Thankfully they don't make us take Micro, so I'm ok there. I don't really care about grades, as long as I pass (that said, I'm somewhat competitive). In the quant classes, my objective is to at least stay in the middle of the pack, which is fine with me, because I know I will never be a quant wizard, my strengths are elsewhere (or so I keep telling myself). That said, it's incredible how your view of the methods changes over time, I used to think it was all a necessary evil, now I look at it as an important and beautiful thing, and in a way what makes it all works.

I have to say, I have probably been fortunate, but I have never ever seriously thought "maybe this was a bad idea". But I did spend a lot of time in the industry and I think that helped me understand where I fit best. I also have a pretty good idea of where I'd want to end up professionally (in terms of personal and professional goals), so I think it all works together. Don't get me wrong though, the stress is still there. In the beginning of each semester, I draw up my schedule so that I can tell myself "Don't worry, even with at least 6 hours of sleep each night, you still have at least 70 hours to handle all of the homework/research/TA assignments/etc outside of your courses, meetings, seminars, commitments." It works for some strange reason. I can't wait to get past the coursework stage, pass my exams, and get on with my research agenda.

I like the idea of this thread.

I went away for the weekend this weekend and pretty much got no work done. Right now I am watching this pathetic Super Bowl. I will likely regret all of this tomorrow. I am only taking two courses this semester, but am also trying to get going on a potentially major research project, and I have comps at the end of the semester. So... still pretty busy. Happily done with all of my quant methods coursework though!

Oh and I am also a second year.

Quick question for current students. Did you at least get enough time off to watch the game yesterday? Football is a huge part of my life, and I need to know when I'm in the program I can at least devote 4 hours a week to watching games with my wife and friends.

Yeah, but I was a little underprepared in a seminar today because of it. Honestly, You shouldn't have a tough time watching football with friends so long as you don't need to sit down every saturday and sunday and watch every game. 4 hours a week for a hobby you enjoy is totally reasonable.

Second year here too. This is the first semester I've taken less than 3 classes and it's amazing. Last semester almost killed me, with 3 courses (JDM, methods, and theoretical modeling) and teaching for the first time. This semester is all about catching up on research and prepping for my comps paper that's due in August.

I have to say, I have probably been fortunate, but I have never ever seriously thought "maybe this was a bad idea". But I did spend a lot of time in the industry and I think that helped me understand where I fit best.

As much as people say that industry experience doesn't matter, I think it helps quite a bit that first year. A PhD program is hard and knowing what it's actually like to work in industry is a good reference to have when you're stuck in your office feeling like an imposter at 2 in the morning. I, too, have never thought "maybe this was a bad idea" but I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally check in with myself - "Hey, self, you still sure that you want to do this?" - only to then remember what it felt like to work in industry. I had a good job and all, I just wanted the freedom to choose which problems I get to obsess over. Students who've never worked in industry and don't have that baseline seem to think if they left they'd automatically make $200k working 9-5 with weekends off. A tempting offer when you're at your weakest.

Quick question for current students. Did you at least get enough time off to watch the game yesterday? Football is a huge part of my life, and I need to know when I'm in the program I can at least devote 4 hours a week to watching games with my wife and friends.

I suspect Wittmic may have found the time to watch the Seahawks dish out the beat down!

While Broncos fans may have suddenly remembered all of the pressing responsibilities that take priority over watching the Broncos get beat up! Of course hard work sometimes requires a moment to breathe, which may fit in during the commercials and the half time show.

I made time. I'm a lifelong Broncos fan and currently live in Boulder so it seemed worth wasting 5 hours.

If football with friends and family is your destresser, you can definitely make it work for 4 hours each week. There might be those occasional weeks where you'll have to miss the game or do some mindless work while you watch, but we all need 4 hours of downtime per week.

Had a metrics exam yesterday. Went ok, not great. Oh well, I'm starting to worry less and less about my grades as my research business picks up.

At a coffee shop now working on some problems sets. We don't take our first seminar until next quarter, so my reading load has been light, however, I have been fortunate enough to be able to get involved in several projects with faculty members already, outside of RA work, and that eats up plenty of time.

I'm not going to lie to the current applicants; there are some dark days in your first year(s). There are days I feel like quitting. And there are these minor victories that bring you back for more. It's actually somewhat like golf. That one good shot in a round full of ****** ones keeps bringing you back to the course.

Anyway, I love this idea, misery loves company, right?! :encouragement:

@doingfine: what kind of whiskey do you like?

I was quite satisfied about my metrics grade, while micro was my really big problem. I have a finance background and I did econometrics during my master, but I took only elementary micro years and years ago.

It is nice that you are already working on research-related stuff. Last semester I did not really have time, but I will try to catch up (thinking about summer paper and I am going to do some stuff with a metrics professor).

Yep, classes here just started and some professors were/are sick, so my load is still very light. BTW, this was my first Super Bowl ever :)

I absolutely watched the game. (How could I miss it?)

From my (relatively short, first year here) experiences in the program, it's all about prioritizing. What are you willing to give up? For me.. honestly it has been a few things. Sometimes, I have to give up time with my wife and dogs.. as much as it kills me, I know its necessary. Sometimes I have to give up some sleep (which I love to do). If I can get into a routine, then sleeping 5-6 hours a night isn't the worst thing.

If you're willing to give up things like sleep, and you're a very efficient worker, then watching football on Sundays should absolutely not be a problem.

I would love to see a sample "average day" in the life of a first year PhD student. I know it's hard work, but I'm curious to know what the actual hours are like and how it compares to a grueling industry job. I did a research-oriented MS and found it to be bearable and actually enjoyable (more so than industry) because I was picking the hours I worked. Yeah, I worked at night a lot and on the weekends a lot, but I would say I enjoyed a lot of free time with "little pockets" of time throughout my days, which wasn't the case in industry when I was stuck in an office from 7am to 7pm most days.

Yea, I remember when I used to tell my wife, "But, it will be so nice to work when I want." Now, with the exception of class, I'm pretty much in my office from 7-6 or later. (Most of my classmates work much later than that, but I have a family that I like to spend at least a small amount of time with each night) Then throw in the weekends as well. Dang..

Yea, I remember when I used to tell my wife, "But, it will be so nice to work when I want." Now, with the exception of class, I'm pretty much in my office from 7-6 or later. (Most of my classmates work much later than that, but I have a family that I like to spend at least a small amount of time with each night) Then throw in the weekends as well. Dang..

7-6???? That's a lot. I usually do 9-6 (now 9-4/5 since I'm in light mode) and other people do similar hours (maybe till 7 if they don't have a decent computer at home and they are doing research). However, I can understand that you probably do very little at home since you have a family, while I usually study for some hours after dinner....

You can find 4 hours a week.

I would love to see a sample "average day" in the life of a first year PhD student. I know it's hard work, but I'm curious to know what the actual hours are like and how it compares to a grueling industry job. I did a research-oriented MS and found it to be bearable and actually enjoyable (more so than industry) because I was picking the hours I worked. Yeah, I worked at night a lot and on the weekends a lot, but I would say I enjoyed a lot of free time with "little pockets" of time throughout my days, which wasn't the case in industry when I was stuck in an office from 7am to 7pm most days.

7-6???? That's a lot. I usually do 9-6 (now 9-4/5 since I'm in light mode) and other people do similar hours (maybe till 7 if they don't have a decent computer at home and they are doing research). However, I can understand that you probably do very little at home since you have a family, while I usually study for some hours after dinner....

My first year, I was more relaxed. Now.. not so much.

I'd say 10-13 hours at school M-F is average for me (biased to 12 average), and 4-10 hours over the weekend. Crunch time (end of the semester) and I can be in the office for 16+ hours a day, 7 days a week. Ok, well, not true, I'll find SOME time for myself, but I will definitely do 80-90 hours a week if not more.

Keep in mind though, those hours include food, going from office to seminar to wherever, moments (or hours) of getting distracted, etc. I'm very inefficient with that. I'll take a 1.5 hour lunch, go for walks, etc.

Today I was in the office 9:30-10, and did about an hour of work when I got home. I'd say out of 12.5 hours at school, about 10 were pure work (5 hours of coursework, 5 hours of other work). Tomorrow? Probably 8:30-10, no class, just all the other stuff, but no work at home.

Honestly, I am totally ok with 12 hours in the office on the weekdays. That's sort of my baseline. I can maintain that + 5-6 hours on the weekend pretty much indefinitely and still find time for other stuff. I don't have a wife/kids though.

Yup, sounds about right.

That said, I love what I do, and it doesn't feel nearly as bad as a corporate 9-5 (even at my last fantastic job)

Now I feel bad. People staying 12 hours in the office while I usually spend less than 10.

I don't know. I find being alone at 8pm in the office so depressing. I prefer going home to study/read papers. I'm not doing really research, so maybe that's the point...

Just curious, how much time between 9-6 is actually spent working on research and how much goes into admin stuff? And does facebook ever enter the office? :playful:

Also, do you folks set a quota for yourself? (on the lines that "I must run at least 4-5 regressions each day" or "I must read 2 papers today")