Urch Forums

Finance Applicant Profiles

tm_associate

This thread is designed as a consolidation of successful PhD applicants in the finance concentration. The moderators have closed this thread to limit the unrelated discussion. As future applicants share their profiles, they will be added to this thread. Please respect their privacy and be thankful that successful applicants are willing to share their profiles with the community.

Thanks.

Discipline: Finance

Admission Year: 2013

Test Used for Admittance: GRE

Test Scores: 92% Q, 80% V

Undergrad GPA: top 20%

Graduate GPA: top 10% LORs: three strong-to-very strong from professors publishing in good-to-top journals

Industry Experience: 6 months, bank

Research Experience: mix of RA, independent and industry research (total 1.5 yrs)

Range of Schools Applied: ASU 1-70 (2003-2012, JF/JFE/RFS)

Total Schools Applied To: 13 (one t10, four t20, four t30, three t50, one t70)

Total Interviews+Offers: 8 (0/3/2/2/1)

Total Offers Given: 6 (0/1/2/2/1)

Final Remarks: listen to your LORs writer. I spent money on applications to low-ranked schools because I thought they were too optimistic.

Edited by tm_associate

Discipline/Concentration: Finance

Admission Year: Fall 2013

Test Scores: 170 170

Undergrad GPA: 3.79

Research Experience: Independent, as of yet unpublished paper as an undergrad.

Range of Schools Applied: top 50

Total Schools Applied To: 1

Total Offers Given: 1

• 3 weeks later...

Discipline/Concentration: Finance

Admission Year: Fall 2014

Test Used for Admittance: GMAT

Test Scores: 740 (9 years ago); 720 recent

Undergrad GPA: 3.2 top public 3.6 jr sr (avg gpa was 2.9)

Graduate GPA: 3.4 top 10 mba 3.8 finance gpa (worked at hedge fund while attending pt mba)

Industry Experience: 9 years buy side sell side, investment banking, hedge funds, algo shops

Research Experience: publishing derivatives and equity strategies for investment clients

Range of Schools Applied: UTD 20 through 100

Total Schools Applied To: 18

Total Offers Given: 4 with 6 interviews and 2 wait lists. Candidate in mid 30s

Final Remarks: My ultimate research goals are to narrow the gap between real life and close ended mathematical sets and expose the limitations of non variable assumptions.

My low freshman GPA was from joining a fraternity. I was disillusioned with the concept of merit as my SAT was in the 99.991% percentile ( back when it had a higher ceiling) weighted GPA and extracurriculars (scouted by MLB teams) were superior to those that got into HYS from my high school. I now hope to use that social experience and insight into human behavior for research purposes.

I was realistic about my chances as I am an older candidate and not an ideal person for running programmed data sets for professors. I was surprised as I had a high hit rate with states schools with expanding budgets. I filled the "ideas" niche. Thank you shale gas, but I will buy an electric car.

• 1 year later...

Admission Year: 2015

Test Used for Admittance: (GMAT/GRE): GRE

Test Scores: Total score (percentile%), 327 Quant (percentile%), 166 (94%) Verbal (percentile%) 161 (87%), 5 AWA (94%)

Undergrad GPA: 3.92

Graduate GPA: N/A

Industry Experience: 2 years / Real Estate Finance

Research Experience: Undergraduate Honors Thesis (designated highest honors), no RA experience.

Concentration Applied to: Finance (with a few economics programs thrown in)

Range of Schools Applied: Mostly top 20 (some top 10), all Econ programs were top 20-40

Total Schools Applied To: 13 (4 Econ, 9 Finance); 3 interviews (all top 20), 3 accepts to-date (1 Top 20 Econ program, 1 Top 40 Econ program, 1 Top 20 Finance program), 2 waitlists (1 Top 30 Econ and 1 Top 20 Finance)

Final Remarks: (any additional comments that you think would be useful for future applicants): I think the most important thing is to pick programs where you're genuinely interested in the research there. It shows in the interview process (and potentially in your personal statement), and it's also important because this is a 5-6 year commitment and you want to make sure you're going to be passionate about what you're involved in. I'm still, in the decision making process, picking between UT Austin and UMichigan Ross (which I'm waitlisted at). Both were amongst my top choices so I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out.

Admission Year: 2015

Test Scores: 339, Quant 170 (93%), Verbal 169 (97%)

Industry Experience: Two years RA

Grades: Undergrad 3.97, 4.00 in the handful of grad classes I took

Research Experience: Some embarrassingly bad research in undergrad, 2 years RA after undergrad doing finance research. One publication, one coauthored working paper I worked really, really hard on

Concentration Applied to: Finance, A few Econ

Schools Applied to: top 11 Finance, 4 top 5 Econ, a few random safeties

Outcome: Interviewed at 7 of the 11 Finance programs, accepted at all plus 2 others that don’t interview. Accepted at 2 of the 4 Econ, withdrew the safeties

Comments:

If you are currently an undergrad, then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEAAAAAASE do yourself the career-changing favor of taking an RA job before applying to grad schools. If you’re a sophomore/junior, start applying to RA internships that lead to RA jobs RIGHT NOW. If you’ve been in industry for a while and have decided you want to do a PhD, actually do an RA for 2 years first. I cannot speak highly enough for the benefit of doing an RAship.

First, you might find out during an RA job that you don’t like research. This is the best outcome. There will be tons and tons of industry options for you, you will make way more money and won’t have to deal with the angst of applying for and dropping out of grad school.

If you do like research, you can develop a close bond with a PhD researcher, get an awesome rec letter, and get into much better grad programs than you would have been accepted at without the RA job.

You will get to spend a couple years in your early 20’s in (probably) a cool city making a real salary and not spending every waking moment studying. The academic career path means at least 11 years of horrific work hours, it’s really nice to have a couple years after college where you still have hobbies and a social life.

Finally, you will be a much better researcher and have a way better idea what your research interests are. Even if you know with certainty you will get into a top 5 program, I still recommend taking a 2 year RA job first. You will be in a way better position starting grad school, have better time-management skills, and know the literature well enough to hit the ground running on research. So just take the damn RA job!