Urch Forums

Queen's University MSc Business Administration (Accounting) (PhD Prep Track)

MountainKing

Any opinions on Queen's University's MSc Accounting (Business Administration, PhD Prep Track) program? It is a 12 month program that prepares you for academic research and a PhD in Accounting. Any clue of its track record; which PhD Programs has it placed its students into?

Queen's School of Business - Areas of Specialization - Accounting

Thanks

While I can't speak to the Accounting program specifically, if you look on their website, they have their academic placements for the last 5 years for ALL disciplines. I don't think that accounting could be considered significantly stronger or weaker than the other disciplines in terms of placement for Queen's, so this list is at the very least somewhat informative Queen's School of Business - Master of Science in Management - Careers

As you will see there is a large degree of variance in the type of placement, suggesting that while this program will help a lot, it will also depend on the student's background prior to the program, and also their performance within the program.

I had not heard of this program before you posted about it, but it looks like it would be pretty decent good for a PhD. It would certainly give you a head start on research methods and familiarization with some of the accounting literature. Plus they require you to complete a masters thesis/research project, so that will allow you to get hands on research experience.

They also seem to provide funding to all of the admitted students, so the cost of the program may be fairly minimal, which would of course be good.

I certainly think the program would help in many ways in terms of exposure to academic life. As far as placement however, I am unfamiliar with anyone who has gone through the program in accounting. With 31 schools listed for placement and 8 different areas to specialize in, I think it is pretty safe to say that the number of accounting alumni from this program are in the single digits. It would probably be very hard to extrapolate with such few alumni to the effect on the program on your placement. That said, it could give you a taste of academia before diving all in.

• 6 months later...

Just found out that Queen's has started rotating its intake into the finance/economic and social behavior streams. The 2014 intake was for the social behavior stream. 2015 will be for finance/economic stream.

Evergreen, do you have any additional info about this program? In terms of which PhD schools they place their MSc students in? I found a couple of Rotman utoronto phd students who were alums of this program.

No additional information, other than what is on the website.

If you look up by school, you will be able to see which discipline placed where. This would be a rather labor intensive process (probably take an hour or two)

For example, a quick google search, showed me that the person who placed at Duke (from Queen's MSc), was in OB.