Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for Ph.D. in (micro) Organizational behavior

overrated

Hi all.

I need your honest evaluation of my profile for a Ph.D. in organizational behavior.

Research interest: Organizational behavior with social psychological perspective (specifically, power, unethical behavior, and moral judgement)

Undergrad: B.S (Management science) from top engineering school in east asia

GPA: 3.5/4.0

Postgrad: M.S (from same school)

GPA so far: 3.8/4.0

Research Experience: 5 years as RA during undergrad & postgrad

1 Journal of Experimental Social Psychology publication as 4th author

1 publication in other area as third author

1 Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin under review as lead author

2 working papers as lead author to be submitted to Journal of Business Ethics, and Journal of Personality and Social Psychology

1 working paper as second author to be submitted to Psychological Science

1 AOM presentation

Work Experience: none

GMAT: 720, V39, Q49, AWA 5, IR 8

TOEFL: around 105

LORs: from my advisor and other professors who conducted research with me in my school

I am going to apply to T20 schools except Stanford OB, which demand GRE.

Any comment would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Your publications are fantastic! My only advice would be the play up your role in first-authored projects, as that will show you can take the lead on things. You definitely have a great shot at top schools.

Also (and this is my advice to many folks), consider looking outside of the T20 in terms of applications. Some people are dead-set that they only ever want a tenure-track job at Harvard or Stanford or something, so if that's the case, then sure, only apply to T20 programs. However, I think it can be short-sighted to not consider other programs, so my advice would be to apply to others which closely align with your research interests. You may find you have better fit with a program outside of the T20, but you'll never know if you don't look at them.

Honestly, I have no idea what a selection committee would be thinking if it didn't choose to go with you.

I think north western would be a good fit. I might also consider that GRE because Stanford is a very good fit as well. Harvard has you work closely with the psych department too.

At this point it's just about asking yourself what you love and finding a department with faculty that share that love. To that point I want to re-emphasize this "You may find you have better fit with a program outside of the T20"

-Rohny

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Micro OB/Management PhD applicant

Test Scores (GMAT) 720/800 (94%), V: 41/51 (94%), Q: 47/51 (60%), AW: 5 (56%), IR: 7 (81%)

Undergrad GPA: 3.84/4.00 overall, BS in Psych from a solid private school

Graduate GPA: none

Research Experience: 2 years, part-time with 3 faculty, econ, OB and Psych. Worked 0-20 hr./week depending on need. Also did several research projects in my research based classes (research design, psych testing, stats in psych, writing in psych, etc.), Research tools: R, Stata, Qualtrics.

Teaching Experience: 1 semester as a TA for psych.

Work Experience: 1 year in HR consulting/training as a project manager.

Letters of Rec: OB professor I did research with, Psych professor I did research with, Psych professor I had 3 classes with and is a mentor/friend.

Concentration Applying to: Micro OB, interested in Business/Behavioral Ethics, Meaning at Work, Positive Org Scholarship, Moral Psych.

Number of programs planned to apply to: I've applied to 9 as of now, may apply to a few more.

Dream Schools: Harvard, Michigan, Washington

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

- I thought the career would be intellectually stimulating, flexible, and challenging. I thought research could make an impact and that teaching/mentoring would be meaningful as well.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

- Concern is my Quant score. It's a solid score, but not too high on percentile. Not sure how much micro OB programs are sticklers on this one? Also, I'm applying straight out of undergrad without a masters, I've heard this isn't too big of a deal as long as you are prepared but wanted more input on that.

Any additional specific questions you may have:

- I'm applying to a mix of top 10, top 20 and top 40 schools (based on TAMUGA rankings). Right now I've applied to 9. Should I apply to more? Is my application strong enough for a top 10 school?