Urch Forums

Top 15 PhD programs for capital market research in accounting?

hummingbird

Which schools are among top 15 for capital markets research in accounting? Also, I hear that Toronto is good for capital markets research. However, I am not sure if it is a good idea to opt for Canada as it might be difficult to get a job at US from Canada. I have seen Toronto students tend to go to Singapore mostly, rather than going to US. Not sure if Columbia is in top 15, however, what I have heard is that cap mkt researchers in Columbia don't work with PhD students. I have also heard that there is only one good person at Ohio doing research in Capital markets. What do you guys think?

Regards

Toronto is solid and has placed well in the states, I suspect the Asian placement bias is self-selection. Their students are largely from Asia. My guess is that students from the US have a home bias so they haven't gone there as much.

I don't know exactly where I'd rank Columbia, but they definitely have good capital markets researchers there. I remember reading that you can take seminars at NYU as well there. That could be wrong. Don't know about the culture, but you could apply there and explicitly state your interests. If they don't align then you won't get in.

I may be biased, but I think the notion that there is only one good capital markets person at OSU is completely wrong. Anne Beatty has chaired more dissertations than not, but they actually have a lot of active capital markets people. I would actually call the number of good, active faculty at OSU one of its major strengths. Just look at how many people have A pubs in the last few years.

Thanks for your reply. I have decided that I will apply to Stanford, Wharton, Booth, MIT, Haas, Harvard, Seattle, UNC. I want to apply to other 5-6 schools, however, I am not sure which other schools are good for capital markets research. Can you please suggest me some us schools?

Toronto is solid and has placed well in the states, I suspect the Asian placement bias is self-selection. Their students are largely from Asia. My guess is that students from the US have a home bias so they haven't gone there as much.

I don't know exactly where I'd rank Columbia, but they definitely have good capital markets researchers there. I remember reading that you can take seminars at NYU as well there. That could be wrong. Don't know about the culture, but you could apply there and explicitly state your interests. If they don't align then you won't get in.

I may be biased, but I think the notion that there is only one good capital markets person at OSU is completely wrong. Anne Beatty has chaired more dissertations than not, but they actually have a lot of active capital markets people. I would actually call the number of good, active faculty at OSU one of its major strengths. Just look at how many people have A pubs in the last few years.

All good schools that you have there. I think that Michigan is one that should definitely be added. Beyond that there are many very good schools. Something else to consider is what other things you want to be exposed to. I am a fan of having theory work to support archival stuff, but you may want to be exposed to behavioral or tax or somethingalong those lines. I have good theory people at my school but minimal exposure to the other things i mentioned.

Considering I applied to all but one of the schools you have so far, I will assume your interests are pretty close to mine. I would look at Ohio state, Penn state, Duke, nyu, UT Austin, Minnesota, uiuc, Emory, Indiana, and choose your top 5 or so from here. I can give you more detail on some of these if you want it, but this list is off the top of my head. I am sure there are good schools I left off.

I looked back at your profile and I'm sure you will have some options if you apply to most of these schools.

Thanks for your response YaSvoboden! Yes, just like you, I am also a fan of theory to support archival work. You have already allayed my reservations regarding Ohio, but what are the strengths/ weaknesses of other schools you mention.

All good schools that you have there. I think that Michigan is one that should definitely be added. Beyond that there are many very good schools. Something else to consider is what other things you want to be exposed to. I am a fan of having theory work to support archival stuff, but you may want to be exposed to behavioral or tax or somethingalong those lines. I have good theory people at my school but minimal exposure to the other things i mentioned.

Considering I applied to all but one of the schools you have so far, I will assume your interests are pretty close to mine. I would look at Ohio state, Penn state, Duke, nyu, UT Austin, Minnesota, uiuc, Emory, Indiana, and choose your top 5 or so from here. I can give you more detail on some of these if you want it, but this list is off the top of my head. I am sure there are good schools I left off.

I looked back at your profile and I'm sure you will have some options if you apply to most of these schools.

[TABLE=class: footable default footable-loaded, width: 940]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Dirk Black[/TD]

[TD]2014[/TD]

[TD]Dartmouth[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Dartmouth[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Ning Zhang[/TD]

[TD]2013[/TD]

[TD]Queens University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Queens University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Amanda Gonzalez[/TD]

[TD]2013[/TD]

[TD]University of Nebraska, Lincoln[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]University of Nebraska, Lincoln[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Gianfranco Siciliano[/TD]

[TD]2013[/TD]

[TD]Bocconi University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Bocconi University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Zhenhua Chen[/TD]

[TD]2012[/TD]

[TD]Tulane University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Tulane University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Bin Li[/TD]

[TD]2012[/TD]

[TD]University of Texas, Dallas[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]University of Texas, Dallas[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Sam Melessa[/TD]

[TD]2012[/TD]

[TD]University of Iowa[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]University of Iowa[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Patrick Badolato[/TD]

[TD]2010[/TD]

[TD]University of Texas, Austin[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]University of Texas, Austin[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Kenneth Njoroge[/TD]

[TD]2009[/TD]

[TD]University of Oregon[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Preeti Choudhary[/TD]

[TD]2008[/TD]

[TD]Georgetown University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Georgetown University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Mark Evans[/TD]

[TD]2008[/TD]

[TD]Indiana University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Wake Forest University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Kevin Ow Yong[/TD]

[TD]2008[/TD]

[TD]Singapore Management University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Singapore Management University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Allen Huang[/TD]

[TD]2007[/TD]

[TD]Lehman Brothers[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]HKUST[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Amy Zang[/TD]

[TD]2006[/TD]

[TD]University of Rochester[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Li Xu[/TD]

[TD]2006[/TD]

[TD]Morgan State University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Washington State University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Xin Wang[/TD]

[TD]2006[/TD]

[TD]Chinese University of Hong Kong[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]The University of Hong Kong[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

What about Yale? They have Jacob thomas and frank Zhang. You should consider duke too.

Third column represents the initial placement of Duke graduates. Would you call this placement stellar? I don't think so. Infact, I think both Iowa and Penn State have much better placements compared to Duke. And what's the deal with NYU accounting PhD placement? They haven't updated the placement record since 2011 (http://www.stern.nyu.edu/experience-stern/about/departments-centers-initiatives/academic-departments/accounting/academic-programs/phd-overview/phd-placements).

I would urge some caution at looking at the placement of the graduates and making conclusions about the program. A much better way of thinking about it is seeing whether the PhD students were successful as researchers after the PhD program. Placement of course is dependent on how good the market thinks the person is but it also is dependent on the applicant's individual preferences. There is a really, really long list of people who could have gone to better schools but choose location, money, family, or other factors over program prestige. Another point of caution, you should consider how the program was 10+ years ago when the graduate graduated and the school they went to was like during that time period. Some schools have become drastically better or worse programs over time and simply using your current perceptions of schools might not adequately reflect how good or bad the placement was at that time.

In short, I would be very reticent to use placement data to tell you much.

Thanks for your inputs guys! As you suggested I looked at byuaccounting PhD program rankings for both 3 year and 6 year post graduation period, and found Missouri, Iowa and Rochester to be at the top. Can someone throw light on these schools for capital markets research? Thanks.

I would urge some caution at looking at the placement of the graduates and making conclusions about the program. A much better way of thinking about it is seeing whether the PhD students were successful as researchers after the PhD program. Placement of course is dependent on how good the market thinks the person is but it also is dependent on the applicant's individual preferences. There is a really, really long list of people who could have gone to better schools but choose location, money, family, or other factors over program prestige. Another point of caution, you should consider how the program was 10+ years ago when the graduate graduated and the school they went to was like during that time period. Some schools have become drastically better or worse programs over time and simply using your current perceptions of schools might not adequately reflect how good or bad the placement was at that time.

In short, I would be very reticent to use placement data to tell you much.

[TABLE=class: footable default footable-loaded, width: 940]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Dirk Black[/TD]

[TD]2014[/TD]

[TD]Dartmouth[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Dartmouth[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Ning Zhang[/TD]

[TD]2013[/TD]

[TD]Queens University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Queens University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Amanda Gonzalez[/TD]

[TD]2013[/TD]

[TD]University of Nebraska, Lincoln[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]University of Nebraska, Lincoln[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Gianfranco Siciliano[/TD]

[TD]2013[/TD]

[TD]Bocconi University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Bocconi University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Zhenhua Chen[/TD]

[TD]2012[/TD]

[TD]Tulane University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Tulane University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Bin Li[/TD]

[TD]2012[/TD]

[TD]University of Texas, Dallas[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]University of Texas, Dallas[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Sam Melessa[/TD]

[TD]2012[/TD]

[TD]University of Iowa[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Patrick Badolato[/TD]

[TD]2010[/TD]

[TD]University of Texas, Austin[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]University of Texas, Austin[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Kenneth Njoroge[/TD]

[TD]2009[/TD]

[TD]University of Oregon[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Preeti Choudhary[/TD]

[TD]2008[/TD]

[TD]Georgetown University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Georgetown University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Mark Evans[/TD]

[TD]2008[/TD]

[TD]Indiana University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Wake Forest University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Kevin Ow Yong[/TD]

[TD]2008[/TD]

[TD]Singapore Management University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Singapore Management University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Allen Huang[/TD]

[TD]2007[/TD]

[TD]Lehman Brothers[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Amy Zang[/TD]

[TD]2006[/TD]

[TD]University of Rochester[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Li Xu[/TD]

[TD]2006[/TD]

[TD]Morgan State University[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]Washington State University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: footable-first-column]Xin Wang[/TD]

[TD]2006[/TD]

[TD]Chinese University of Hong Kong[/TD]

[TD=class: footable-last-column]The University of Hong Kong[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Third column represents the initial placement of Duke graduates. Would you call this placement stellar? I don't think so. Infact, I think both Iowa and Penn State have much better placements compared to Duke. And what's the deal with NYU accounting PhD placement? They haven't updated the placement record since 2011 (NYU Stern | Department of Accounting, Taxation and Business Law: PhD Placement).

Where did you get such detailed data on duke's placements from? The program website doesnt have it and the BYU website has no data on graduates between 2008 to 2014.

Thanks for your response YaSvoboden! Yes, just like you, I am also a fan of theory to support archival work. You have already allayed my reservations regarding Ohio, but what are the strengths/ weaknesses of other schools you mention.

For Penn State, I mostly just like everyone that I have met from there. We have 2 professors that are grads from there and both are doing quite well. I would say it is definitely worth applying to.

Duke has good theory people, as well as a few great archival researchers. Katherine Schipper is extremely well respected. Also, They are close to UNC and the PhD students often take seminars from each other's department. This will effectively increase your cohort, but don't expect a UNC professor to chair your dissertation or anything like that.

UT Austin and UIUC are both very big programs. They have people in all areas and take in something like 4-5 students a year. Mostly, your options are really open if you go somewhere like that.

NYU has several really good people. A lot of the senior people have cool consulting experience as well to bring into teaching and research. Minnesota has a solid theory group.

Emory has Ilya Dichev and Grace Pownall. I have known a few people that came from Indiana and they generally do well. Both Emory and Indiana have behavioral as a second focus, not theory.

Again, I am just a PhD student, but these are impressions that I have of programs now.

And honestly, I think Duke's placements are pretty good. For Dartmouth, it is hard to say that going to an Ivy League school is bad. Queen's isn't great and UN, Lincoln seems like a really low placement. Besides that though, they are good. Bocconi is the top school in Italy, so an Italian probably loves that. Tulane is not great as well, but everything below that through 2008 is good. All of those schools probably have a 3/0 teaching load with solid research budgets and a good research environment. And all probably pay really close to each other. Sure, they haven't placed into Chicago or Wharton, but few schools do.

• 2 weeks later...