See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Applicants ask a current student thread

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

2015 Applicants ask a current student thread

Sponsored Ad:
    So I've noticed that we are getting some questions in the sweating thread. While that is great, and we are more than willing to answer them, I thought it might be more appropriate to have a separate thread for questions and general advice. That way the sweating thread can stay cleaned up for future applicants to be able to quickly search through profiles and acceptances.

Applicants: Feel free to ask us anything you want. Do you have questions about life during the program? Do you want to know what it feels like to have too much work to possibly get it all done? Procrastination tips? Application help? Anything you could possibly want to know. At least I'll try to give honest and timely responses. I find that getting on this site throughout the day helps to break up the monotony of reading and writing quite well.

Current or previous students: Feel free to use this thread to give out encourage and unsolicited tips for applicants. Hey we've all been there and understand the neurotic stress inducing time between now and April 15. Show these guys some love (hopefully they'll return the favor next season).
    Last edited by tm_associate; 01-11-2015 at 09:20 PM.
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

Blog Entries

Stay on top of your LOR writers

Here's some helpful advice I can give to start this off. Make sure that you stay on top of your LOR writers. They are all busy professors and possibly can be absent minded. Send them a reminder email with what schools they are writing letters for and also what the due dates are. If you spell it out clearly this will go a long way in ensuring that they get their LOR's in on time. Don't be pushy, but prod them a little.

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Also, and this is huge, take tomorrow (Thanksgiving) off. Watch some football, spend some time with family and eat a gross amount of food. Your applications can wait for one day. Don't even think about them. Try not to talk about them to family members who ask what you are doing. You'll be back in the swing of things soon enough. Give yourself a break.

Within my grasp!

First year student, happy to advise on anything related to academics and choosing a program, although I cannot advise on anything related to football.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Here's an application question:

I have noticed that many schools do not notify the applicant (either by email or updating their status on the actual application) when they have received transcripts or test scores. Is is safe to assume that if some schools have received those items than the rest probably have as well? Or is it necessary to email each one that I am unsure about?

Within my grasp!

In my opinion it is not necessary to contact the schools. Usually the schools will look at the copy of the transcript that you upload and the scores that you self-report on the application, and then confirm against the official copies if they admit you. I think it is very likely your scores and transcripts arrived, but that if they didn't the school would likely evaluate you based on the online app and then request that you resubmit if they want to admit you.

Within my grasp!

Some schools can be very slow in updating the website so I wouldn't be worried about it. Keep in mind that they have to match everything up and most schools won't start reviewing applications until January, so there is little incentive to move quickly. My experience was that if something was missing then schools will generally get in touch with you if they are interested. I had one school ask me to email them copy of a transcript because the resolution on the uploaded one was too poor (a result of file size restrictions in their online application); another school emailed me when they hadn't received a GMAT score (I reminded them that I had sent them my GRE score and I did later get accepted). So if it is just transcripts and test scores I wouldn't be concerned.

Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    These are both great pieces of advice. Schools are slow with that kind of stuff. In my opinion, if the school is interested and they haven't received your official scores, they'll let you know.

Good post? Yes | No
    Are stipends taxed? Also, how does everyone stay on budget, especially if you came from industry?

Within my grasp!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheetrockero View Post
    Are stipends taxed? Also, how does everyone stay on budget, especially if you came from industry?
    I intentionally lived below my means and put $ into savings while working in industry, because I knew I was going to go back to school. Also I do not have very much time to go out and travel as I'm very busy. It has been a lot easier to stay on budget than I anticipated.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information