Urch Forums

2016 PhD Business Administration Sweat Thread

CBHopeful2016

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied for a Ph.D. in marketing (consumer behavior) at the following 18 schools, and haven't heard anything back, yet. Fingers crossed!

Harvard

Duke

Cornell

UC Berkeley

Carnegie Mellon

Yale

NYU

Columbia

Stanford

U Houston

UNC

UF

ASU

Boston U

U Chicago

UT Austin

Georgia Tech

U Tennessee

Thank You,

For starting the thread, it will be very helpful during the waiting period.

I am applying for Finance PhD.

On gradcafe I could see interviews in Memphis and Wharton, hopefully others will conduct soon.

Glad to see a PhD Finance applicant here!

I too have applied for PhD Fin Fall 2016. 10 Univs (going by the advice on this forum, 10 may be too few!)

Insead, UMichigan, UWash, WashU St L, UCSD, Gatech, U Wisc-Mad, Texas A&M, UKansas, GeorgiaState

Thanks for creating this thread.

I too was waiting on someone to step up.

I applied for PhD program in Management / Organizational Behavior at following 14 schools.

Pennsylvania State University

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

University of Maryland

University of Pennsylvania

University of Michigan

University of Minnesota

Northwestern University

University of California at Los Angeles

University of North Carolina

Columbia University

Emory University

New York University

University of Florida

Fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone!

Hello all!

I am applying to 13 schools for Management/IB

Penn State

Michigan

Colorado - Boulder

Indiana

University of Arkansas

Temple

UT Dallas

GWU

Iowa State

Rutgers

University of Missouri

University of Oklahoma

University of Nebraska

Is anyone else applying straight out of undergrad?

Joining the band here. I'm applying to Operations Management programs for Fall 2016 (including some ORs)

Columbia OR

Columbia DRO

Wharton OID

Harvard TOM

MIT ORC

Kellogg OM

UChicago OM

NYU OM

Stanford OIT

Stanford MS&E

UC Berkeley IEOR

Three schools that I'm debating if I should apply: UCLA DOTM (Deadline was Friday, though...), USC DSO, and CMU Marketing.

Hi,

I have never used the gradcafe till date. Can you please share the link for the same. Also, is it similar to www.urch.com?

Thanks

Shafi

Thank You,

For starting the thread, it will be very helpful during the waiting period.

I am applying for Finance PhD.

On gradcafe I could see interviews in Memphis and Wharton, hopefully others will conduct soon.

I feel it used to be similar to urch, however business PhD applicants are not very active there.

Here, we are more interactive and seniors are active as well.

At gradcafe, members can post their interview/ rejection/ acceptance there, which I feel is useful.

Besides you can search earlier results date in order to estimate when a particular college reverts.

Here, we are more interactive and seniors are active as well.

This is true. Gradcafe has more information on interviews and acceptances generally, though some of those are probably fake. The reason for that is that you can completely anonymously post there.

Also +1 for your sweet screen name.

Hello all and good luck with your applications! For the more experienced members of this forum, has anyone ever received negative repercussions for posting admissions information on here? It seems to me that some universities might frown upon this. I am curious as I would like to post my acceptances/rejections as they occur in case it helps anyone else. However, I wouldn't want this to negatively affect any of my outstanding applications. As others have said, it really isn't that hard to figure out who people are on here if you really want to know. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Hello all and good luck with your applications! For the more experienced members of this forum, has anyone ever received negative repercussions for posting admissions information on here? It seems to me that some universities might frown upon this. I am curious as I would like to post my acceptances/rejections as they occur in case it helps anyone else. However, I wouldn't want this to negatively affect any of my outstanding applications. As others have said, it really isn't that hard to figure out who people are on here if you really want to know. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

I have never heard of an actual problem from it. You can always just post anonymously on grad cafe if you are worried about being identified. Though even that can be pretty clear if you post an acceptance and they only gave out 1 that week.

Overall, I think the market works more efficiently the more that we reduce information asymmetry.

Am applying to 9 places in for CB. By the advice on this forum this wayyyyyy too low and also apparently it isn't too uncommon to get straight rejections

I applied to the following schools

U Chicago - Long shot - Am surprised have not been desk rejected yet (might be because one of my recommenders hasn't sent in the recommmendation :p)

U of Illinois Chicago

U of Ilinois Urbana Champaign

Boston Univeristy

UT Dallas

U Florida

UC Irvine

Georgia Tech

U Houston

Taking partial advice of Xanthes, yasvoboden and Sb on here I applied to more realistic fits as well as places where my interests matched somewhat with the faculty. I did run into a bit of trouble in the SOP because I wasnt sure how specific or broadly should i post my research interests. However I would be keeping my fingers crossed hoping for the best

Am applying to 9 places in for CB. By the advice on this forum this wayyyyyy too low and also apparently it isn't too uncommon to get straight rejections

I applied to the following schools

U Chicago - Long shot - Am surprised have not been desk rejected yet (might be because one of my recommenders hasn't sent in the recommmendation :p)

U of Illinois Chicago

U of Ilinois Urbana Champaign

Boston Univeristy

UT Dallas

U Florida

UC Irvine

Georgia Tech

U Houston

Taking partial advice of Xanthes, yasvoboden and Sb on here I applied to more realistic fits as well as places where my interests matched somewhat with the faculty. I did run into a bit of trouble in the SOP because I wasnt sure how specific or broadly should i post my research interests. However I would be keeping my fingers crossed hoping for the best

I just wanted to say that, in my understanding, it's common practice for universities to contact the recommenders (if the university is interested in the applicant) if their letter is missing. I'm sure you had to enter in their contact info when you indicated who these people are - this contact info is used by the administration people / the application portal to nudge the recommenders. My old advisor said that, if a school is interested, they'll look to see why a letter isn't there.... so my impression is that it's not a deal-breaker.

Another, less-optimistic note... I got my interview invites between late January and late Februrary, but my straight-up official rejections came so late that they were obvious. Unfortunately, the rejection was indirectly communicated through silence.

I just wanted to say that, in my understanding, it's common practice for universities to contact the recommenders (if the university is interested in the applicant) if their letter is missing. I'm sure you had to enter in their contact info when you indicated who these people are - this contact info is used by the administration people / the application portal to nudge the recommenders. My old advisor said that, if a school is interested, they'll look to see why a letter isn't there.... so my impression is that it's not a deal-breaker.

Another, less-optimistic note... I got my interview invites between late January and late Februrary, but my straight-up official rejections came so late that they were obvious. Unfortunately, the rejection was indirectly communicated through silence.

Sorry, I meant they haven't probably rejected me because they have not yet received my complete application packet (since the recommendation is still missing).

The second part is interesting. Maybe you weren't desk rejected and only rejected because some of the other candidate were somewhat better than you. My feeling is that desk rejections come pretty quickly. I could be wrong.