Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125
Results 1,241 to 1,243 of 1243

Thread: 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Thanks, Silvia and Poble.
    Silvia - Good luck with your campus visit. I hope it is as per your expectations!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

By the way, you shouldn't be worried about starting your PhD in early thirties. Thirties are the new twenties! When you finish, let's say in the next 4 to 6 years, you would still have productive 25 odd years ahead of you.

I will be 38 when I start but am super excited. Many admitted Urch forum members are in their forties, so age shouldn't be a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by pra17 View Post
    Thanks, Silvia and Poble.
    Silvia - Good luck with your campus visit. I hope it is as per your expectations!
    Applied: 12 /Accepted: 1 / Rejected: 4 / Interviewed: 4 / Waitlisted: 0

Good post? Yes | No

Cool Re: 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

I don't see why starting a PhD in your early 30s should be a problem. To me early 30s sounds like the perfect age at which to start a PhD program. I remember that as a student I always had a problem taking my professors who were still in their 20s seriously. There were a few of them who got their PhD before their 30th birthday.

My advisor who used to teach doctorate level classes said that some extremely young PhD students still had the mindset of undergraduates. One of them wanted to join a fraternity and they had to convince him not to do it.

Why are you concerned about starting a PhD in your early 30s?
    I am about 10 years older than you so you must think I am crazy... ha ha. Many people have a midlife career change. You are not even midlife yet.

I, for example was worried I wouldn't get accepted by any schools because of my age. This was not the case. I am sure some schools have a problem with older applicants, but many schools don't see it as a problem. I am the best proof of that. 11 out of the 14 schools I applied to had an initial interest in me despite my "advanced" age.

I really think that as someone who is in his/her early 30s you have absolutely nothing to be concerned about.
    I really hate it when people try to tell you what you can and what you cannot do because you are a certain age, or have a certain background or other things they see as "obstacles." You can do anything as long as you believe in yourself.

(Good Lord... I can't believe I just said that. I wonder what drugs I have been taking lately that did this to me. I am not always this optimistic.)

So enjoy your new journey!
    Applied: 14, Interviews: 11, Accepted: 6, Waitlisted: 1, Rejected: 4

Thread Information