Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132
Results 1,311 to 1,316 of 1316

Thread: 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Fantastic news. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Algo View Post
    Incredible turn of events! I was admitted! I will join many of you as a peer beginning this journey in the Fall term.
    Applied: 14, Interviews: 11, Accepted: 6, Waitlisted: 1, Rejected: 7

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

US school

Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    Well isn't that something!!

Congratulations!

Is this a US school? this is a super-late admit.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Great! Congratulations!

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

For all of us who will start a program this fall and have some doubts (like myself) about whether we will succeed, here are some encouraging words a friend sent me a few days ago. I mean this is something we all know already, but I thought it was great to have someone outside of academia sum it up like this:
    (So this is for all of us here!)

"Schools, especially one like where you are going, have a reputation. They're winners, and they are because they have a system of selection that works. They selected you because they know, based on what you provided, and their proven experience, that someone like you HAS what it takes to make it. They base this on all that data that you gave them: transcripts, test scores (well, not so much the test scores in my case), letters etc. Together, those things are a blueprint of someone that will succeed in their program, and as such they selected you."
    Applied: 14, Interviews: 11, Accepted: 6, Waitlisted: 1, Rejected: 7

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Silviatx View Post
    "Schools, especially one like where you are going, have a reputation. They're winners, and they are because they have a system of selection that works. They selected you because they know, based on what you provided, and their proven experience, that someone like you HAS what it takes to make it. They base this on all that data that you gave them: transcripts, test scores (well, not so much the test scores in my case), letters etc. Together, those things are a blueprint of someone that will succeed in their program, and as such they selected you."
    Let me add one more thing on here. The odds were not in your favor that you would get into a PhD program. It's a huge accomplishment to even get into a PhD program so take some time in the coming months to celebrate and enjoy life. Also remember that deciding that a PhD is not for you is not a failure. I always like to remind people that the happiest PhD students I know are my friends who decided to leave their programs after a year or two. Work hard, put your head down. You are 100% capable of doing this, even on the days when it doesn't feel like it.

Two more pieces of advice I've given on here before, but I will repeat forever. First, your mental health will be stretched likely beyond what you've ever experienced while in a PhD program. Please do not hesitate to seek the help you need. Your school has the resources to help you and are free to students, but possibly no one at your program will tell you that. Please be on the lookout for signs of depression and get help immediately. This is extremely pervasive in the academic world, and needs to be addressed by us now.

Second, in this academic life as opposed to industry, there is surprisingly little feedback on how you are doing. The little feedback you do get is rarely a positive and uplifting experience. This is just the way academia is. There are many ways to combat this. The most effective way that I've found is to celebrate every miniscule win. Actively seek out reasons to celebrate. Did you get significant results? Have a drink. Finish the semester? Watch a movie. Make it through the day without crying? Sit outside. Make it through the day with crying? Have another cry from the comfort of your bed. My point is that there are very few big wins in this world (in life as well, not just academia). Celebrate the little wins and go all out for the big wins.

To all of you students starting in a few months congratulations! To all of you reapplying, please let us know if we can help. To all of you who have gotten off the PhD train and decided to not pursue this any further, congratulations to you as well. The academy will always be here if you feel it stirring up in your loins in the future. For the moment you made a really hard decision, but hopefully one you will find fulfilling moving forward.
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

Good post? Yes | No

I'm exceptionally late in responding, but I love this post. Thank you for posting! And same for Xan's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Silviatx View Post
    For all of us who will start a program this fall and have some doubts (like myself) about whether we will succeed, here are some encouraging words a friend sent me a few days ago. I mean this is something we all know already, but I thought it was great to have someone outside of academia sum it up like this:
    (So this is for all of us here!)

Thread Information