Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Wow, I can't believe any of you are hearing from schools already. Kudos.

I'm applying to Finance, ranking from 1 to 50-ish (ASU Finance Publication Ranking). Many of the schools' websites state that they won't be giving applications to adcoms until after break. Hopefully my thesis research will be enough to demonstrate that I'm awesome, and not just another person with a good GRE quant score.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Bizz View Post
    I had a phone interview with one of my top psych programs today I'd like to think it went well; I received great feedback about my thesis and research interests. I was asked a bit about whether I was sure I wanted to leave my job and go back to school, but I think I conveyed my goals well. It seemed that my life experience was appreciated. And my application is still missing a LOR for this and 2 other schools, so it's good to know I was still considered.

Still haven't heard anything from the OB side. Awesome to hear others are getting interviews! It definitely makes the wait a bit easier when you get that first sign of interest.
    Oh that's great to hear. Did they tell you how soon they would let you know? Are you going to visit their campus?
    How many programs did you apply to in total?

My anxiety is increasing daily now. I thought I would be cooler especially with having two interviews in my pocket already... but I mean nothing is guaranteed. I think most people should be back from their holiday break next week.
    Maybe we will start hearing from programs next week already? I don't know... I am so nervous and find it incredibly hard to distract myself.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

They said they'd get together as a department in a few weeks to review the phone screens and decide who to invite to the formal interview weekend. I'm thinking within 2 weeks or so based on when invites went out last year. I would go for the interview and to see the campus. I applied to 13 programs; 7 OB and 6 psych.

I haven't seen a peep anywhere about any of the OB programs I've applied to, so I'm thinking maybe in the next 2 weeks we'll start hearing more. Some of my deadlines were Jan 15th, so I don't expect much from them until early February.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

My first post in this forum. Been reading and found so much useful information to help me with the application process.

I am in the same boat. Now that I have completed my applications, it has become extremely difficult to concentrate, due to the nervous wait. Even more than during the application stage. I guess, the only exciting part was to research current work at the schools, identify suitability with my interests, shortlist and contact the professors, whom I am interested to work with. And, I have a tech start-up to run. It has already taken a back seat for the past three months.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by skidoo1066 View Post
    Wow, I can't believe any of you are hearing from schools already. Kudos.

I'm applying to Finance, ranking from 1 to 50-ish (ASU Finance Publication Ranking). Many of the schools' websites state that they won't be giving applications to adcoms until after break. Hopefully my thesis research will be enough to demonstrate that I'm awesome, and not just another person with a good GRE quant score.
    When I emailed all my schools before Christmas to ask if they have received all materials needed for the application, they said my application has been passed on to the department, however, decisions would not be made until after the deadline.
    The next few months are going to be tough for us, unless we get accepted by our dream school very quickly. Otherwise we could still be sitting here in April hoping to get in at the very last minute.

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Yeah this is likely one of the worst parts of the process. Now you've submitted everything and are just waiting to hear anything. Schools are just getting back to starting this week, so will probably look at apps now.
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

Good post? Yes | No

I checked the status of all my online applications yesterday. Of course, I couldn't see any changes. On some websites I will probably never see anything significant just because the way they are set up.

Last week I had a second informal phone interview with another faculty member from one of the universities I applied to. Hard to say how it went. I thought it was okay, but who knows what she thought. I have this feeling that they are not sure whether my research interests align with theirs.
    Then, I emailed her last Friday to thank her for the phone conversation and asked if it's okay if I contact some current doctoral students of the program so I can ask them more questions. (She did say I could contact her if I had any more questions!)

NO ANSWER!
    That's bad right?

I am so confused.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

I would just contact the students, not ask for permission. I had reached out to a few before I finalized my program list, just to get some additional feedback.

I am also concerned whether my POI believed I was a good fit for the lab. I detailed some specific research interests in my interview which are related to current research in the lab, but I'm thinking they might be looking to take their work in a different direction over the next few years based on some questions I was asked. But I'm realistic enough to know that my interests are shaped by my current work, and that my interests may change a bit when I leave industry and am exposed to more ideas during the program. I think it's important to convey that, which leaves some wiggle room if your current interests aren't a perfect match for the POI.

Good post? Yes | No

Has anyone heard anything yet?
    It's been awfully quiet in the forum here and in my mail box as well.
    Nothing..... dead silence. I am starting to get a little worried now.
    Deadline for most of my programs is the 15th but I was pretty sure that committees would start looking at applications this week already.

Forum Associate

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Silviatx View Post
    Has anyone heard anything yet?
    It's been awfully quiet in the forum here and in my mail box as well.
    Nothing..... dead silence. I am starting to get a little worried now.
    Deadline for most of my programs is the 15th but I was pretty sure that committees would start looking at applications this week already.
    All of us that have ever been through this process understand all of your anxieties. One day seems like a month. One week seems like an year. Beginning of the year is a busy time for most faculty, programs, and universities in general. Tons of administrative issues have to be sorted out, as undergrads returning to school look to add, drop, rearrange their class schedules. Faculty have to respond to these emails or forward them to the appropriate offices. In addition, several conference deadlines occur in beginning of Jan through mid Feb, so research groups are often scrambling to put these together. Finally, the committee has to find time where they can all gather to discuss all of the applicants. It's normal for applicants to react to every little action (or inaction) from departments and over-interpret these 'signals', when perhaps there was nothing intended to begin with.

It is easier said then done, but you need to take your mind off this as best as you can until mid Feb. Naturally, if someone gets an interview or offer around end of January (which is extremely early by the way), others will start feeling as if they have no chance. In reality, the majority of committees are only sitting down to meet about who to contact around this time. So until mid-Feb, all of you should try to find other things to focus all of your energies on.

Best of luck.

Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information