Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 132 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud zanelabw's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Lightbulb 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    So I noticed the 2016 PhD Business Administration Sweat Thread is closed.. Understandable. Now, I'm creating the 2017 thread. Let's talk about our applications, interviews, rejections/acceptances?

I am sure you're all busying working on your apps. Where is everyone applying?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

I'm applying to T50 (UTD ranking) programs in Management/OB, and a few psychology PhD programs. I'm concerned with the fact that my deadlines are all over the place - if interviews start in January for some schools, but other schools' deadlines aren't until January 15th, or even February 1st, it seems like one would have a tough decision if an acceptance is received before all applications were considered (not that that's a bad position to be in, if you receive an early offer). Still, my top 2 programs are on opposite ends of the range of deadlines. So I guess it'll be interesting to see how things play out.

Good post? Yes | No

Wow, Bizz, that sucks! But I'm sure you will figure it out when that time comes; we'll see where it goes

Good luck!

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Bizz View Post
    I'm applying to T50 (UTD ranking) programs in Management/OB, and a few psychology PhD programs. I'm concerned with the fact that my deadlines are all over the place - if interviews start in January for some schools, but other schools' deadlines aren't until January 15th, or even February 1st, it seems like one would have a tough decision if an acceptance is received before all applications were considered (not that that's a bad position to be in, if you receive an early offer). Still, my top 2 programs are on opposite ends of the range of deadlines. So I guess it'll be interesting to see how things play out.
    This isn't as big of a problem as you are thinking. First of all, all graduate programs give you until April 15 to decide and shouldn't really pressure you to decide before then. (That said, it is a good idea for a number of reasons to decide and commit as early as you reasonably can.)

I was admitted to my current program in December. I still had several applications that I hadn't finished at that point. I decided not to finish some of them and still finished others that I thought I might choose over the given offer. I got admitted to one of those later schools and still chose to go with the school that admitted me early.

If you get an early offer you can choose to withdraw from some schools or not finish the application if that is still an option. Otherwise, you simply tell the school that you are excited about the offer (you should be) and that you will wait until you know what your choices are before you make your final decision. They may be curious about which schools you are waiting on, I think it is best to be candid with this information.

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    This isn't as big of a problem as you are thinking.

If you get an early offer you can choose to withdraw from some schools or not finish the application if that is still an option. Otherwise, you simply tell the school that you are excited about the offer (you should be) and that you will wait until you know what your choices are before you make your final decision. They may be curious about which schools you are waiting on, I think it is best to be candid with this information.
    It's not a bad situation to be in. All of the reasons that Yaz gave are right. You'll have until April 15th to make a decision. One thing to add to this advice is that if you are open with schools that made you an offer and say you want to know all of your options before making a final decisions, this can actually be a huge help. I did this with my current program and my adviser sat down with me (via Skype) to look at my offers and gave me extremely candid advice about programs (and specific professors at those programs). It was literally because of this advice that I came here. There were better schools who made offers to me, but I knew that if the profs were willing to work this closely with an applicant they would be great with me as a student (side note: I was right, I love my adviser and co-authors!). Not everyone would want an environment like this, but I definitely wanted that.

Another possible advantage is sometimes the school will try to make themselves more attractive with a better package if they know you are looking around. This is rarely the case however. One final thought. Sometimes people get concerned that if they have an offer but don't accept it immediately the school will rescind it, but this is not the case. Also if a school gets upset that you want to take your time, this should send a signal to you about the type of program it is. I wouldn't want to be at a program that pushy, but that's just me. Good luck!
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

That sounds like a really great experience. I would love to have that kind of relationship with an advisor.

I didn't think an offer would be rescinded, but I was concerned it would seem like I was less interested in the program, or that they were a last choice if they ended up being the only program that accepted me. It's great to hear these are not valid concerns, or if they are, it's probably not meant to be with that institution.

Funny how feelings change once the applications are out. I didn't expect to feel so nervous since I have a good job to fall back on if I'm not accepted, but now that a few applications have been submitted, I'm definitely feeling the anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by XanthusARES View Post
    One thing to add to this advice is that if you are open with schools that made you an offer and say you want to know all of your options before making a final decisions, this can actually be a huge help. I did this with my current program and my adviser sat down with me (via Skype) to look at my offers and gave me extremely candid advice about programs (and specific professors at those programs). It was literally because of this advice that I came here. There were better schools who made offers to me, but I knew that if the profs were willing to work this closely with an applicant they would be great with me as a student

Trying to make mom and pop proud

I applied to a dozen top 20 finance programs. I think my profile is unusual but competitive. I'm not really sweating the upcoming interviews and admissions decisions because I have attractive options if I'm rejected by every program, but I'm excited about the future. Stanford is my first choice but I would be happy with admission to any of the programs to which I applied. Duke is also highly desirable partly due to its location near family. Although excellent programs, it's hard for me to be overly enthusiastic about living in the cold winter climates associated with the Chicago or Boston schools.

It will be fun posting and reading here when people begin receiving interview notifications and acceptances/rejections. Best of luck to everyone (except my competition).

Good post? Yes | No

Hi Guys,

Curious: do you think the application portal will crash on the deadline date due to too many people submitting their applications at once? Just wondering when I should submit mine or if I should wait until the day of it's due.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Quote Originally Posted by zanelabw View Post
    Hi Guys,

Curious: do you think the application portal will crash on the deadline date due to too many people submitting their applications at once? Just wondering when I should submit mine or if I should wait until the day of it's due.
    No, but I would plan a day or two early. I had one deadline that was 5pm when that threw me off and I missed it. Had to email a few people, but I was able to get the app in.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

I'm applying to 20 marketing PhD programs. Usually among the 40 best programs in the US, but a few below that. I have already submitted almost all of my applications, there is only one left because it declined my credit card for some reason.

Can someone tell me about the next steps in the process?

There are always interviews before being admitted to a program? When interviews are usually conducted? Who interviews the applicants?

I also heard about applicants who are invited to visit the campus. Since I'm a foreign applicant, it would not be so easy for me to visit a school in US.

If I'm admitted, when I must move to the US?

Page 1 of 132 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information