Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for PhD in Marketing (CB)

Squib

Hey Everyone,

I am planning to do PhD PhD in Marketing(CB). I will be giving GMAT next year and I am hoping to get RA in my college under one of my marketing prof. and work on some research projects as my experience in terms of research is not much.So the plan to do PhD in 2018.

My profile :GPA (MBA in Finance and Marketing-Dual Major) - 3.26 out of 4.33 (Indian Institute of Foreign Trade- one of the top 10 B-SChool in India)

GPA (Engineering in Electronics and Communications Engineering) - 8.34 out of 10

Work experience:

1.5 years: Worked as a Account Management in Amazon

Roles and Responsibilities -

-Managed two categories - Sunglasses and Apparels

-Taking up challenges like deriving strategies to increase the sale of the account managed sellers. Building strong communication channels at all levels of the seller’s organization, setting proper expectations and providing clear status communications are a part of my day in day out task.

-Developing key metrics and performance indicators to measure overall financial performance and provide foundation for continuous improvement.

Conduct deep dive analysis and provide routine executive-level reporting on the seller’s current business and future opportunities.

2 years+: Academic Head of an Education Institution (Start-up)

Domain - Education

Roles and Responsibilities -

- Faculty for Quantitative Aptitude, Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation

-Content Development : Developed structured course material for various management entrance examinations for close to 10,000 students

- Mentored and Counselled Students, regarding their preparation for various MBA entrance examinations (Mostly CAT,XAT)

Achievements

• Awarded: Top rating in 2012,receiving an overall score of 4.4 out of 5

• Recipient:3rd highest rating in 2011, garnering an overall score of 4.05 out of 5

Internship and Training -

Company - Daikin India

Project Title -

- Project ‘Reach’ – Gathering insights from influencers to increase penetration and Daikin’s distribution network in Eastern India

- Primary Research : In-depth interviews with all major influencers in HVAC segment to develop priority based profiling

- Analysis of profiles developed in previous phase, followed by further primary research to understand KPIs and pain points, finally providing recommendations to Daikin’s R&D

- Understanding the distribution channel and dealer networks, finding bottlenecks and loopholes, and finally recommending necessary changes to increase efficiency of dealer distribution network

GMAT: Target 700-750 (gave a mock test without prep a few days back and got 640)

Target schools:

1. INSEAD - France
  2. The Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
  3. Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University
  4. Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University
  5. Kelley School of Business, Indiana University
  6. University of Texas - Austin (McCombs)
  7. Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
  8. The Carroll School of Management, Boston College
  9. Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh
  10. Rice University, Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business
  11. UT Dallas - Naveen Jindal School of Business

P.S. - I am still deciding other colleges would really appreciate a few suggestions here. http://gmatclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

• I want to know, that just in case, I am not able to get any research assistance opportunities, what will be my changes in the above colleges that I have mentioned.
  • Also, what else can I do to improve my profile in the mean time. And is there any other college which I can target?

Thank in advance! :)

Squib

Overall profile is good provided you get a good test score. Working as RA under any IIFT prof will yield nothing as they don't publish in the top marketing journals. The only place you should be RA-ing for CB would be ISB. Else, see if you can find RAship under profs who regularly publish in top psychology journals such as those in IIM Bangalore OB department or someone like Varun Dutt in IIT Mandi. If you can't get RAship in these places, you are better off working in the industry.

Hey sb29,

Thanks for replying. Can you shed some light on the FPM program of IIM ABC and ISB?

It is even worth doing it from these places or I should focus on doing an RA from the above places and try for US or Singapore colleges?

Thanks in advance. :)

Squib

• 1 month later...
I would recommend doing RA at one of these places and doing PhD somewhere else. If at all you want to stay back in India, ISB is a good option if you want to do a quant-focused marketing PhD.

Hey sb29,

Thanks for replying. I just wanted to give the ISB FPM a try, since I am married and would prefer if I get in ISB and stay together in India. Though moving to US or Singapore is not a big constraint if I get a good college and decent stipend.

I had just applied to ISB this year through CAT(got 99.3 percentile this year). And just a few days back I got a mail from them asking for more info on a few questions.

One of them being - In Marketing what would I want to research on - CB/Quant/Strategy.?

I had went through a few college FPM program curriculum website to understand what exactly Quant and CB covers and I felt that CB would be something I would like to pursue since it involves a mix of both Qualitative and Quantitative aspect.

Only Quant-focused Marketing PhD did not seem what I really wanted to do.

So, I have actually two questions -

1. If I get a call for Marketing CB - ISB, should I join? Because in your last post you mentioned I can go for quant focused marketing from ISB.

2. Is my understanding correct, that CB involves Research methodology as well as Consumer Psychology aspects and thus it is a mix of both Quantitative and Qualitative Aspect? While Quant focused Marketing would be more in lines of Econometrics, Machine Learning etc.

Sorry for the long post..but I wanted to be 100% sure that my understanding is correct... Awaiting you reply.

Thanks,

Squib