Urch Forums

Do most Ph.D. in Business programs conduct interviews?

casechaser5

How do I find out if I got put on a waitlist? Do they let you know? Is there somewhere I can check?

Some of the school's websites are so confusing and I don't think I will be able to get much from my "status check" application.

There is no easy way to tell. If the school doesn't tell you specifically that you are on it, which 90% of the time they don't, you'll just have to be in limbo until you officially hear that you were or were not accepted. Side note 4 years later I'm still waiting to hear back from about 8 programs, I assume I was accepted.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same doubt as OP. However, now I can interpret from the replies on this thread that the interviews usually do happen for Ph.D. admissions. Anyway, I had seen on websites of some of the schools that they do not often conduct interviews, and they give direct admissions. Thus anyone can please share light on this information written on these websites?

PS - There are over 100 top schools in the USA itself, so I am saying this about some selective schools only. Thus if you too have seen as such information on websites of some schools, please do share some insights.

Edited by averdoc
I mixed up two threads, and wrote here that as the OP again commented that the some schools do not often conduct interviews.

I had the same doubt as OP. However, now I can interpret from the replies on this thread that the interviews usually do happen for Ph.D. admissions. Anyway, I had seen on websites of some of the schools that they do not often conduct interviews, and they give direct admissions. Thus anyone can please share light on this information written on these websites?

PS - There are over 100 top schools in the USA itself, so I am saying this about some selective schools only. Thus if you too have seen as such information on websites of some schools, please do share some insights.

I'm going to give me opinion here based on my own experience and the experience of friends I have in PhD programs. Schools that say they don't do interviews are technically telling the truth. They will not do an official interview where you come to the school and talk to a bunch of faculty and sit down with other students. Most of the T50 programs (I'm going to say all) will do something, even if that thing is a 5 minute phone call to make sure you're a human. Outside of T50 some of those programs don't do interviews and accept based on stats alone. For me I was accepted at 2 schools in the T100 without an interview. Those acceptances came in May, so I assume they were after other people had turned them down.

If you are looking for programs that don't do interviews, look outside of the T50. Every school in the T20 will (no matter what their site says) at minimum call you to say you were accepted use that call as an interview of sorts.

But why would any school accept someone without doing interviews? Isn't that weird? No company hires a job applicant without an interview - not even a fast food restaurant.

The two interviews I had were both with T100 schools. One may have been close to T50. All my interviews actually lasted really long. Half an hour each and I thought they went really well, but I guess you don't really know what they are looking for. Even if the person is nice and the conversation flows well, it still doesn't mean they will take you. That's my experience.

But why would any school accept someone without doing interviews? Isn't that weird? No company hires a job applicant without an interview - not even a fast food restaurant.

The two interviews I had were both with T100 schools. One may have been close to T50. All my interviews actually lasted really long. Half an hour each and I thought they went really well, but I guess you don't really know what they are looking for. Even if the person is nice and the conversation flows well, it still doesn't mean they will take you. That's my experience.

Well, it's a little different with hiring for industry. I can't prove an applicant worked somewhere without reference checks (which can also be faked). However, schools can check what schools you attended through the clearinghouse and request official transcripts to prevent fakes. You also can't fake a publication unless you share the same name as someone from the same institution as you, I suppose. The most you could do is have someone else write your SOP or make up some stuff on your CV. Even GREs come as official from ETS. So there is still risk, but it's less than hiring someone for a job in industry.

Edited by Bizz