Urch Forums

2017 Ph.D. Business Administration "Un-sweat" Thread

averdoc

Every year there is a 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread in this forum, wherein everyone sweats about interview invites, no interview invites, acceptances, waitlist, rejections and so on. However, in each and every post it is imminent that passing time is the most difficult thing for all of us.

Thus I thought of creating this thread - 2017 Ph.D. Unsweat thread. A thread to talk anything else from the stressful admission talks.

Let us unsweat all the tension that we have here, let us discuss only fun stuff here, to pass the time qualitatively instead of just killing time. No talk of admissions here, no discussion of interviews here, just standard unsweating.

Let us talk about - What tv series are we watching currently? What movies did we watch recently or plan to watch soon? What books are we reading? What will happen during this year's Superbowl? All-Stars game? Who will win the National League? American League? Other region sports? EPL? La Liga?

Let us kill time here. Let us invite each other for a chess game here. (Btw I love chess) Or let us play online cards somewhere - Poker (with no money involved) (just for fun), Hearts, Spades, and so on. Let us play 21 questions (kids game, but nice to pass some time).

In synopsis let us hangout here, all the Ph.D. aspirants. We can continue more serious talks in the respective threads, but let us chillax a bit too.

PS - Admins, If I am wrong in creating this thread, please let me know. However I have seen at least one thread dedicated to stress out by normal talks in many undergrad and grad forums, so decided to create this. Anyway, if I am wrong please let me know, apologies in advance.

• Like 1

I think that's a great idea.

I finished watching a great TV show on Netflix a few days ago. It's an older TV show from about 20 years ago, but SUPER FUNNY. It was great distraction in the evening for me.

"Freaks and geeks" .... I don't know, it almost feels like this title is very fitting here lol except the freaks and geeks were in a high school setting.

Very fun show, unfortunately they stopped producing it after only one season. It's said to be one of the best TV show that ended too soon.

I can highly recommend it. It has no "depth" and I felt like it was exactly what I needed at this time of my life. :stupid:

Edited by Silviatx

I watched Freaks and Geeks many years ago, and I also recommend it.

A tv show that I loved but also lasted only one season is Profit. Nice one to talk about with fellow businesspeople.

Profit (TV Series 1996– ) - IMDb

These days I watched a lot of Japanese stuff. From comedy (Swing Girls, about students who start a jazz band), to drama (Ode to Zero, about a guy who tries to dig information about his granfather who was a kamikaze), to boxing anime (Hajime no Ippo, a classic abot boxing).

Swing Girls Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Eien no 0 (2013) - IMDb

Hajime no ippo (TV Series 2000–2002) - IMDb

I haven't played chess or poker for a really long time. But those are great games for strategy (Go is another one).

Let me join in the fun.

On the sports front, tomorrow could be a good one. We could go 10 points ahead in EPL with 16 games to go.

TV wise, I could watch my favourite episode of Seinfeld. Boy, these pretzels are making me thirsty! Got the whole box set, could go on a binge watching night.

Movie wise, I am always up for watching The Taking of Pelham 123. Couple of hours to take my mind of the sress. Got some nice quotes too, would love to say, this is what I am planning regarding my applications as well. "There is no *#!*#*! plan B. Plan B is to enforce Plan A"

I just checked "Freaks and Geeks" on IMDB, it seems nice. I will also try to watch it. :)

I am currently watching

1) The Big Bang Theory 2) The Walking Dead 3) The Flash 4) Legends of Tomorrow 5) Supergirl 6) How to get away with Murder 7) Elementary.

All these were on hiatus for some time, but in the following week all except The Walking Dead will return, so I will be able to pass some time with them.

I was watching 1) Pitch 2) Designated Survivor 3) The Last Man on Earth. I might start to watch them again.

Also, I just finished watching 1) Stranger Things 2) Westworld 3) Sherlock 4) Secrets and Lies 5) Scream Queens 6) American Horror Story. I loved all of them.

Thus I wish to involve my thoughts in all these. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I agree with the title "Freaks and Geeks" making a good sense here. :)

I also usually do not have Plan B's in my life, although they might be recommended, so I should watch the movie Pelham 123 too. I have heard too many good things about Seinfield, and I had seen some of its clips on YouTube, but I have kept it in bucket list along with Friends, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Prison Break and so on. So will watch it for sure, but some time in future. :)

If anyone has Hulu, season 2 of The Path starts this Wednesday. It's an original series by Hulu, and I'm hooked - Chance is another great Hulu original, for any fans of Hugh Laurie (The Night Manager was yet another great mini-series he was in, but not a Hulu original). Sometimes I binge on The X-Files, House, and I do keep up with The Big Bang Theory and Lucifer on TV. I've seen most Seinfeld episodes, and I own the series Friends on DVD.

I don't keep up with sports, although I enjoy bowling :)

I am currently watching

1) The Big Bang Theory 2) The Walking Dead 3) The Flash 4) Legends of Tomorrow 5) Supergirl 6) How to get away with Murder 7) Elementary.

All these were on hiatus for some time, but in the following week all except The Walking Dead will return, so I will be able to pass some time with them.

Another fan here of Big Bang Theory and HTGAWM. I'm glad that TGIT is back this week =)

Also enjoy Agents of Shield, Shadowhunters, Two Broke Girls, The Librarians, SVU, Grey's Anatomy, Fresh Off the Boat.

Anyone else a fan of Asian Dramas like KDrama... those can be really addicting! Haven't found a really good one to invest in yet.

Any fans of traveling? I'm taking a short vacation to Iceland next week to de-stress and celebrate my birthday. Anyone else go and have recommendations/travel tips?

Anyone else a fan of Asian Dramas like KDrama... those can be really addicting! Haven't found a really good one to invest in yet.

What kind of Asian Drama do you like? My favorite one is a JDrama called Osen.

(I wrote another post, but it is not showing. I needs approval from someone for some reason...)

Every year there is a 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread in this forum, wherein everyone sweats about interview invites, no interview invites, acceptances, waitlist, rejections and so on. However, in each and every post it is imminent that passing time is the most difficult thing for all of us.

Thus I thought of creating this thread - 2017 Ph.D. Unsweat thread. A thread to talk anything else from the stressful admission talks.

I love this idea! Thanks!

I think that's a great idea.

I finished watching a great TV show on Netflix a few days ago. It's an older TV show from about 20 years ago, but SUPER FUNNY. It was great distraction in the evening for me.

"Freaks and geeks" .... I don't know, it almost feels like this title is very fitting here lol except the freaks and geeks were in a high school setting.

Very fun show, unfortunately they stopped producing it after only one season. It's said to be one of the best TV show that ended too soon.

I watched that show when it was on the air. I 100% agree it was cancelled too soon. If you liked it, and are a fan of Apatow (and Seth Rogan) check out undeclared. It was the next show he did after Freaks and Geeks and has a similar vibe. Spoiler alert: it too only lasted a season.

I think we have met that one person on the planet, who doesn't watch Big Bang Theory 😃 Just joking.

At the moment, I can very much relate with Howard. The one without a PhD among friends with PhDs from Princeton, Purdue and UTAustin.

Having said that, I can definitely do with his classical dressing style and 3D printer!!

I think I am going to give "The Walking Dead" a try tonight. I have heard so much about it and I need another show to watch now.

For some reason I could never really get into Big Bang Theory. Those guys are a little bit "too much" for me. :monkey:

I watched the very first episode of "The Walking dead" last night. Hmmmm...... I have no real opinion yet. I wasn't completely turned off by it like it happened with "the house of cards" for me. I couldn't even finish watching the first episode of "house of cards".

So I thought it was kind of alright but a little bit bizarre. I will definitely keep watching it until I can figure out whether I like.

I read somewhere that "The Walking Dead" got better with time. Is that true?

Oh by the way the best TV series EVER... is "Breaking Bad". I am sure most of you have seen it. This is my absolute favorite of all times. I have already watched the entire thing twice and I am sure I will eventually watch it a third time too.

That was such a brilliant show! Loved it!

Oh by the way the best TV series EVER... is "Breaking Bad". I am sure most of you have seen it. This is my absolute favorite of all times. I have already watched the entire thing twice and I am sure I will eventually watch it a third time too.

This is blasphemous, I'm sure, but I got stuck on season 3 (I think?) of Breaking Bad. I liked the start of it, though. I'm told it was a down season and I just need to keep going, but just haven't yet.

My biggest addiction was Game of Thrones. I also liked Broadchurch a lot (but that is far from mainstream and quite a bit different =D)

I have got to say Band of Brothers is top all time for me.

On the topic of shows that were cancelled too early, anyone watch firefly? That is a great one season show.

I have got to say Band of Brothers is top all time for me.

On the topic of shows that were cancelled too early, anyone watch firefly? That is a great one season show.

Band of Brothers was the first show that I got through less than legal means. It will always hold a special place in my heart. Firefly was awesome, and the movie was an OK wrap up.

Disney just released the title for the Star Wars Episode 8 (The Last Jedi). I am super excited. :)

So we have The Big Bang Theory fans here. That's nice. I am rewatching The Big Bang Theory episodes; I regularly do so. Also, we have The Walking Dead initiator here. If you wish to have a spoiler free review of The Walking Dead in case you get stuck at any particular season/episode, do let me know.

I want to watch "The OA."

I am travelling on business for couple of weeks, plus an interview on Friday. But, a game in few weeks sounds good.
Sorry for late reply. I was offline for a couple of days. Chess sounds awesome, If you wish we can play on chess.com ?
Edited by PobleNou