Quote Originally Posted by TraderJoe View Post
Ah well. After sometime, you will find out that the Dr. thing doesn't mean much. The only thing that matters is whether you get your six A pubs by the time you apply for tenure.

The one thing that I have learned from this program and lifestyle is that there is never an end. You take your final exams and instead of getting to catch your breath you have to hit research. Then you pass comps, but you start thinking about your proposal, then the market, then tenure, then full professor. From everything I've heard and seen the only relief comes once you retire (only partially kidding).

Let me be clear, I'm not complaining about it, but I do wish I could have understood that more before I started, you know? Like undergrad had tons of breaks from work and stress. The 10 years in industry I spent was filled with nice breaks away from work and stress. There is literally no end to it on this path.

Which is why I'm quick to celebrate all of the little wins, because it's really easy to be so focused on the long term that you forget all of the little things that got you to this point.