Urch Forums

Withdraw the Application

littlechild

Great question. So yeah not all sites list the coordinator. In that case, I wouldn't feel the need to necessarily withdrawal from those programs. Let them take the lead, if they email you to invite you for an interview kindly let them know that you have already accepted another offer. They won't be upset and at that point it's still early enough for them that they didn't really lose out on anything (aside from a little time reading your application).

This is what I did when I couldn't find a coordinator or I didn't know someone at the program.

Thanks for the reply. What I am worried about is that some programs did on-site interview in previous years. If (I have no idea how it works) they've booked the flight when informing the students for interview, then it might make them unhappy.

A related question is that if I get into a better program after one program scheduled the campus visit, what should I do? It's better for them to know earlier to extend offers to other candidates, but they might (?) also be angry at my not visiting the campus.

Great question. So yeah not all sites list the coordinator. In that case, I wouldn't feel the need to necessarily withdrawal from those programs. Let them take the lead, if they email you to invite you for an interview kindly let them know that you have already accepted another offer. They won't be upset and at that point it's still early enough for them that they didn't really lose out on anything (aside from a little time reading your application).

This is what I did when I couldn't find a coordinator or I didn't know someone at the program.

So most schools would not book a flight before speaking with you. In fact, no school would, logistically that just doesn't make sense. At minimum they will talk with you to schedule a flight. So don't worry about that happening.

Second, from what I'm reading it looks like your major concern is upsetting schools who may have been interested in you. Let me say first that is really nice of you. A lot of students don't think about this kind of thing. However, you are really overthinking this whole thing. Schools expect each year that they get applications that not every person who they accept will accept their offer. Schools work off of the assumption of a 50% acceptance rate from the applicants. So they will not be upset if you withdrawal your application, even if you do so when they make an offer for a flyout.

So take a deep breath. If you have already made your decision about which school you want to go to and accepted their offer, don't even think twice about any other program. Move forward with your acceptance and start enjoying your life for the next few months before school starts. That's my advice.

On to your second question, if you have already accepted an offer from a school but still are scheduled for a flyout at another program, you should email the coordinator of the flyout and let them know. You will know who to talk to at that point as they will be emailing you about your flight details and such. Let them know that you already accepted an offer and won't need to come out. They might be a little upset, but they'll be more upset if you come out with no intention of attending the school.

Actually in that situation, if I were you, I wouldn't accept the first schools offer until I visited the school with the flyout. Even though on paper school A might seem better, you might learn new information during the flyout about school B that makes it your top choice. I would also let school B know during the interview that you have an offer from school A. That's what I would do in this situation. Good luck.

So most schools would not book a flight before speaking with you. In fact, no school would, logistically that just doesn't make sense. At minimum they will talk with you to schedule a flight. So don't worry about that happening.

Thanks for the information!

Second, from what I'm reading it looks like your major concern is upsetting schools who may have been interested in you. Let me say first that is really nice of you. A lot of students don't think about this kind of thing. However, you are really overthinking this whole thing. Schools expect each year that they get applications that not every person who they accept will accept their offer. Schools work off of the assumption of a 50% acceptance rate from the applicants. So they will not be upset if you withdrawal your application, even if you do so when they make an offer for a flyout.

So take a deep breath. If you have already made your decision about which school you want to go to and accepted their offer, don't even think twice about any other program. Move forward with your acceptance and start enjoying your life for the next few months before school starts. That's my advice.

No, of course I haven't accept an offer. Otherwise I would contact all of the programs immediately. I have several great offers and want to withdraw a few (not all) other programs.

On to your second question, if you have already accepted an offer from a school but still are scheduled for a flyout at another program, you should email the coordinator of the flyout and let them know. You will know who to talk to at that point as they will be emailing you about your flight details and such. Let them know that you already accepted an offer and won't need to come out. They might be a little upset, but they'll be more upset if you come out with no intention of attending the school.

Actually in that situation, if I were you, I wouldn't accept the first schools offer until I visited the school with the flyout. Even though on paper school A might seem better, you might learn new information during the flyout about school B that makes it your top choice. I would also let school B know during the interview that you have an offer from school A. That's what I would do in this situation. Good luck.

The major concern is that some schools have very late visit date, in which if I make the decision after visiting all of them, (n-1) programs will have very little time to get other candidates they might also really like.

The major concern is that some schools have very late visit date, in which if I make the decision after visiting all of them, (n-1) programs will have very little time to get other candidates they might also really like.

I had this exact issue. The visit day at one of my schools was mid to late march. The best you can do is be honest and make a good decision once you have all of the relevant information. If you are hanging on to several offers and you know that some of them are dominated, turn those down and hold on to a few that you are deciding between.

Congratulations on the offers! I will suggest that take time to think over. Schools also want you to do that. Get requisite information about programs. Only if you think that you are not going to join a program for sure, then you let the programs know that you have dominating offers. Speak to PhD students at schools, and people over here. After you are convinced about a school, make a decision.