Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Math & Analysis Preparation for PhD in Management

On a mission

Good post? Yes | No

Math & Analysis Preparation for PhD in Management

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi Everyone, in the fall I will be starting a PhD in Management and want to get a jump start with preparing for classes.

What do you suggest I self-study before orientation?

Stata? R? Calculus? Linear Algebra? Stats?

I welcome as much detail as you are willing to provide.

I do not have a strong math background, so hence my question about prep. My goal is to make the first year of classes as painless as possible so I can have more time/energy to devote to research.

Thanks to all!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Math & Analysis Preparation for PhD in Management

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1234 View Post
    Hi Everyone, in the fall I will be starting a PhD in Management and want to get a jump start with preparing for classes.

What do you suggest I self-study before orientation?

Stata? R? Calculus? Linear Algebra? Stats?

I welcome as much detail as you are willing to provide.

I do not have a strong math background, so hence my question about prep. My goal is to make the first year of classes as painless as possible so I can have more time/energy to devote to research.

Thanks to all!
    I think it would really depend on your research area. In most cases, you should be able to find the required courses for the PhD program you will be starting on (e.g. probability, linear algebra, micro economics, calculus). I would suggest to start from there!

On a mission

Good post? Yes | No

You're awesome. Thanx. This makes complete sense.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Your best source is probably the first and second year students in the program that you will be attending. Ask them for advice.

Also, consider trying to get there in the summer and take courses at the university to do this prep. A lot of school will give you your stipend for the summer and pay for the classes and software. Whether this makes sense depends on a ton of factors, but we always encourage our students to come out early.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks YaSvoboden, this is good to know. I may be jumping the gun, as I don't have an admit yet. But, given that I am in my mid thirties, and have been away from business school for a while, it would be good to start the preparation in summer.

BTW, congrats to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    Your best source is probably the first and second year students in the program that you will be attending. Ask them for advice.

Also, consider trying to get there in the summer and take courses at the university to do this prep. A lot of school will give you your stipend for the summer and pay for the classes and software. Whether this makes sense depends on a ton of factors, but we always encourage our students to come out early.

On a mission

Good post? Yes | No

Same here...more than mid thirties though, I will be 39 when I begin classes. As a result, I also want to get a jump on things.

Thansk PobleNou, I was very lucky to get an early admit last week. Now the big pressure is off. Well, the pressure of at least knowing I will be in a program in the fall. As a "mature" candidate I heard that ageism is an issue for b-school doctoral programs in the U.S.

Finding a new home

Good post? Yes | No

i would humbly suggest calculus and statistics.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Any suggestions for good books please?

On a mission

Good post? Yes | No

Yes, please suggest a few books and whatever else you think (math, analysis, anything) would be helpful for pre-PhD students. Thanks a lot!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Another spin on this topic.

When I was interviewed at one of the schools, there was a direct question on how will I transition from corporate world to academic world. I started talking about reading books for preparation and possibly taking some courses. The interviewer specifically told me don't worry about it as you have first year for classes. And steered the discussion towards working on my own, no teams to guide, change in lifestyle.

Having said that, a little headstart would help anyway. If I can't start at the school full time, I would atleast start looking into Coursera. I remember MIT making their course material public, will also look into that.

Sorry to hijack, but looks like a few admits in our age range. Few of us are sweating as well, and hope to get an admit soon.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1234 View Post
    Same here...more than mid thirties though, I will be 39 when I begin classes. As a result, I also want to get a jump on things.

Thansk PobleNou, I was very lucky to get an early admit last week. Now the big pressure is off. Well, the pressure of at least knowing I will be in a program in the fall. As a "mature" candidate I heard that ageism is an issue for b-school doctoral programs in the U.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information