Urch Forums

Seek advice after fail this year. Thank you.

4869HJL

Hello, everyone! This is my first time to post and I sincerely hope you can give me some advice in terms of what should I do in next step.

As an international student, I apply to 15 schools this year in Management program. However, I can claim now that I fail this year. Although I got an interview from two European schools, which (and only them outside of US) can really compare to the top American programs. Eventually, I got rejections from them. In addition, I also got an interview from a top 20 US Management department but again fail to get an offer.

What confuses me a lot is that I am just ignored (no interview/no contact) by other US programs and some of them are quite lower ranked since I want to have some relative safe schools in my application pool.

What should I do in next step? I don't know how can I improve my profile since the feedback from my application this year is confusing and misleading. I expected to receive more interviews, which however turns out to be my illusion even after the two European interviews.

Thanks for your reply and insights. I really appreciate them.

Sorry to hear that. This is a tough process.

First, you may actually have a chance at those lower ranked schools. I think you should contact them and ask about an update. The fact that you interviewed at higher schools implies that your package looks decent. This could actually deter some lower ranked programs. If you express interest there is a chance that you will get an interview there. I wouldn't give up on this season until you are rejected from every school.

Second, this is just a guess, but you may benefit from working on your English skills over the next year. Your writing here is fine, so I am only basing this on the fact that you had 3 interviews and were rejected from all of them. That rate is a little high and could be explained by poor spoken English.

A full profile would allow for better feedback on your next steps.

I am so sorry to hear that. As a fellow applicant in this season, I can totally sympathize with your frustration.

I second the two points made by YaS. With regard to the first point, I would like to share my own experiences. About a week ago, I sent status update requests to several schools from which I had heard nothing. Two of them kindly informed me that I was on their shortlists and that they would consider me if their first-round offers be declined. In fact, one of the PhD coordinators wanted to have a phone call with me, so we talked for about 15 mins--he said that I was very high on his shortlist and thus that he was happy when he heard from me. My bottom line is that you might still be on the shortlists at some schools and that it can help boost your chances if you email them and show your interest.

I also agree with the second point. I am an international as well. I am from a country where English is never a medium of daily conversation. This language barrier is very frustrating, but we should neverthelss keep trying to hone our English skills. Their importance cannot be too emphasized. It can only help when we improve our English, especially spoken English.

Sorry to hear that. This is a tough process.

First, you may actually have a chance at those lower ranked schools. I think you should contact them and ask about an update. The fact that you interviewed at higher schools implies that your package looks decent. This could actually deter some lower ranked programs. If you express interest there is a chance that you will get an interview there. I wouldn't give up on this season until you are rejected from every school.

Second, this is just a guess, but you may benefit from working on your English skills over the next year. Your writing here is fine, so I am only basing this on the fact that you had 3 interviews and were rejected from all of them. That rate is a little high and could be explained by poor spoken English.

A full profile would allow for better feedback on your next steps.

Thank you very much, YaS!

I think you are right since the language concern is probably extremely high in Business school.

I am so sorry to hear that. As a fellow applicant in this season, I can totally sympathize with your frustration.

I second the two points made by YaS. With regard to the first point, I would like to share my own experiences. About a week ago, I sent status update requests to several schools from which I had heard nothing. Two of them kindly informed me that I was on their shortlists and that they would consider me if their first-round offers be declined. In fact, one of the PhD coordinators wanted to have a phone call with me, so we talked for about 15 mins--he said that I was very high on his shortlist and thus that he was happy when he heard from me. My bottom line is that you might still be on the shortlists at some schools and that it can help boost your chances if you email them and show your interest.

I also agree with the second point. I am an international as well. I am from a country where English is never a medium of daily conversation. This language barrier is very frustrating, but we should neverthelss keep trying to hone our English skills. Their importance cannot be too emphasized. It can only help when we improve our English, especially spoken English.

I really appreciate your suggestion. Thanks!

I will contact other schools to check my application status.

Wish you can join an excellent program this year.

I am also a fellow international applicant and I feel all your concerns about English. Although I have great GMAT verbal and Toefl scores, I may still feel myself uncomfortable. My experience with US schools was also a disappointment as I had only 1 interview out of 15 US schools I applied and still have not heard from 10 of them (I count most of them as intrinsical rejections now). Fortunately, ı had also applied to 5 Europe schools and have already got my acceptances from 2 of them, which I can say as competitive as half of US schools I applied.

This is pure manipulation but considering the discrepancy between Europe and US, this particular cycle may be an unlucky one for the US due to the recent political conditions as my research interests and country of origin are directly affected from all these. My professors also think so. Anyways, this is what it is and I am still kind of happy as one of my acceptances is a really good one. And there is still some time for the rest as you all pointed out.

Simma, did you send emails to schools you interviewed or to the ones you have not heard anything, especially the ones you were shortlisted. Is it possible to be shortlisted without any interviews or waiting to be interviewed etc.? And did you send your inquiry to administrative people or academic commitee? I picked a control group of 3-4 schools last week and asked for an update from phd.info email adddresses but have not heard anything meaningful that's why I wanted to learn from your experience. Thanks in advance for the advise and good luck all!

I just had a phone interview with an OB program on Monday, and I know one of my other programs historically interviews very late, in mid-late March. So I agree that you should reach out and not give up hope just yet. I was also just waitlisted at an I/O Psych program today, so there's still movement among programs.