See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profile Evaluation : Strategy 2018

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation : Strategy 2018

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by stratecophd View Post
    3. Well man what can I say, I like to think I'm right up there with people with great academic scores in Maths, despite my scores being average. I scored very high marks in maths in the IIT-JEE exam, which is known to be extremely difficult. I'm generally very competitive at objective exams, so maybe its that.
    Well, if you are that strong, how do you explain that your math grades are just average? Because that's what you would need to do, and in a very convincing way. Otherwise, I think you should just accept that your grades can and should be viewed as a weakness in your application.

By the way, I also have some critical weaknesses. During my interviews, it was very clear that I don't have the programming skills that they required. And I was accepted anyway. So, sometimes it may be better to show how do you deal with your weaknesses than to try to explain or cover them. It will be the same with your research.

Your grades and scores should speak by themselves, instead of requiring explanations. By the way, you write that your GMAT score in the quantitative section is great. You should tell us what exactly you scored, and then we can evaluate it better. Because it's hard to know what you mean by "great", it's very subjective. My GMAT quant score is 49. Some would say that is a great score, when it actually wouldn't be if I was aiming only for the very top schools.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Hi all,

I am planning to apply to PhD programs in Management (Strategy track) at some of the reputed Business Schools in US and Singapore. My Profile is as below:

GMAT Score : 760/800 (99 Percentile - Highest Percentile Bracket across all Test Takers) - Q 51, V 42, AWA 6/6, IR 7/8

Undergrad Background: BE (Computer Science Engineering) from a Top 10 School in India with an above average performance (75% Marks)

Masters Degree: MBA from one of the Top Business Schools in Asia and the only Triple Accredited (AACSB, EQUIS & AMBA) School in India with Average Performance (CGPA - 6/9); CAT Percentile- 99.71 among 200,000 candidates

Research Experience : 3 years (2 Research Papers under peer-review in International Journals, B and C category as per ABDC categorisation; plus 4 research papers presented at prestigious refereed International Conferences at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, Bocconi University in Milan, Stockholm University and Amsterdam Business School

Teaching Experience : 7 years at MBA level at a Top 100 Business School in India; Designed and taught courses like Business Sustainability and Policy, Organizational Communication etc. in the MBA program; Taught courses like Managerial Communication in 25+ Management Development programs for Middle level Managers

Consulting Experience : 6 years as Business School Faculty, worked very closely with the Govt. on a variety of assignments like Baseline Studies, Monitoring & Evaluation, Impact Assessment etc.

Corporate Experience : 2+ years in Business Development at a NASDAQ 100 Company in India.

Research Interests: Business, Government and Society, Business and Public Policy, Institutional Theory, Corporate Governance, Emerging Markets, Corporate Social Responsibility

Schools planning to apply to: Harvard, Wharton, MIT Sloan, Ross, INSEAD, Fuqua, Haas, Smith, LBS, NUS, SMU, Nanyang

Dream Schools: Harvard, INSEAD, Wharton

My Questions:

1. Since I'm considering applying to very prestigious schools in the US, will it be a good idea to consider applying to more realistic and safe schools also based on the profile info I have shared?

2. Since I'll be moving with my family (spouse and 2-year old daughter), will the stipend suffice for the family of three? Any suggestions of prestigious schools that have a reputation of being more family-friendly and / or located in places with a lower cost of living? I know that Singapore is quite expensive so I need to consider this while applying to schools there!

~cheers!

Eager!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Very nice profile, specially research experience. Are those papers related to the concentration you'll be applying to?

I think you should tell us in a better way what exactly are your research interests. Too many things, too broad definitions. It just looks that you are interested in everything and anything, and that's not good.

To your questions:
    1 - It is very, very hard to know what is a "realistic and safe school" when applying to a PhD. You might be a perfect fit for a very "prestigious" school, and be an awful fit for a "not-so-prestigious" school, for example. A lower school may love you, but not have a professor available for your research interests or enough money. Lots of applicants do not get accepted by the schools they considered safe, and instead got offers from unexpected schools. You never know.

So, I always suggest to apply widely, if you can. But applying widely does not mean shooting blindly. I may be wrong, but it seems you made your list based on famous schools. Not based on specific research fit or productivity.

I should add that probably there are several schools with an extremely high level of prestige for PhD which are not as famous as the ones you listed. People tend to erroneously think that schools like Harvard and MIT are always the best, but for specific concentrations there may be several schools ahead, including some that maybe you never heard about.

Also you shouldn't apply to a "realistic and safe" school which does not interest you at all.

2 - From what I've seen during my applications, for most good schools in the US the value of the stipend is usually very close to the estimated cost of living for 1 person in the city the school is located. Harvard has a very high stipend, but is also located in a city with a very high cost of living. Washington University in St. Louis has a much lower stipend, but also a much lower cost of living.

I will start my PhD at the University of Houston. It has one of the best stipend / cost of living relationships I found. But, even so, there are people I talked to that do not consider the stipend enough (including people living alone in Houston). I will go alone, and I really think the stipend will be enough for me. But the neighborhood I'll be living is not among the best ones, and I'll try to live without a car, for example.

So, it may be possible for a family of three to live with a stipend, but it is probably going to be very hard. Living conditions will not be the greatest, you will have to keep saving as much as possible. Your visa probably will not allow another job for you or your wife, so you can expect no additional source of income.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Assuming you are from an IIM, with your great scores and research experience, I think you will do very well.

Insead stipends are good with respect to cost of living (Fontainbleau). Your spouse can work if you join LBS, so that would help with the cost of living. Toronto (Rotman) is a great school and Toronto is a good city from a family perspective. From an US perspective, small cities like Ann Arbor and Durham are good from a cost of living perspective. Given your profile, you are in a good position to negotiate, especially if the schools want you to accept an offer early.

If I were you, I would be bullish and concentrate heavily on top 10, some schools schools in 10 to 20 and couple of safety schools in 20 to 30 range. Given you have already presented at Bocconi, why not apply there as they are very well respected and highly ranked in strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Musical View Post
    Hi all,

I am planning to apply to PhD programs in Management (Strategy track) at some of the reputed Business Schools in US and Singapore. My Profile is as below:

GMAT Score : 760/800 (99 Percentile - Highest Percentile Bracket across all Test Takers) - Q 51, V 42, AWA 6/6, IR 7/8

Undergrad Background: BE (Computer Science Engineering) from a Top 10 School in India with an above average performance (75% Marks)

Masters Degree: MBA from one of the Top Business Schools in Asia and the only Triple Accredited (AACSB, EQUIS & AMBA) School in India with Average Performance (CGPA - 6/9); CAT Percentile- 99.71 among 200,000 candidates

Research Experience : 3 years (2 Research Papers under peer-review in International Journals, B and C category as per ABDC categorisation; plus 4 research papers presented at prestigious refereed International Conferences at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, Bocconi University in Milan, Stockholm University and Amsterdam Business School

Teaching Experience : 7 years at MBA level at a Top 100 Business School in India; Designed and taught courses like Business Sustainability and Policy, Organizational Communication etc. in the MBA program; Taught courses like Managerial Communication in 25+ Management Development programs for Middle level Managers

Consulting Experience : 6 years as Business School Faculty, worked very closely with the Govt. on a variety of assignments like Baseline Studies, Monitoring & Evaluation, Impact Assessment etc.

Corporate Experience : 2+ years in Business Development at a NASDAQ 100 Company in India.

Research Interests: Business, Government and Society, Business and Public Policy, Institutional Theory, Corporate Governance, Emerging Markets, Corporate Social Responsibility

Schools planning to apply to: Harvard, Wharton, MIT Sloan, Ross, INSEAD, Fuqua, Haas, Smith, LBS, NUS, SMU, Nanyang

Dream Schools: Harvard, INSEAD, Wharton

My Questions:

1. Since I'm considering applying to very prestigious schools in the US, will it be a good idea to consider applying to more realistic and safe schools also based on the profile info I have shared?

2. Since I'll be moving with my family (spouse and 2-year old daughter), will the stipend suffice for the family of three? Any suggestions of prestigious schools that have a reputation of being more family-friendly and / or located in places with a lower cost of living? I know that Singapore is quite expensive so I need to consider this while applying to schools there!

~cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information