Urch Forums

Staying in touch with professors from other schools

PobleNou

What is the norm on staying in touch with professors at schools where one didn't get through or withdrew the application after a better offer?

During the application process, I was talking to couple of professors whom I would really like to stay in touch with, as their research interests are very closely aligned to mine.

I don't know if there is a norm. Generally, however, I think that it is a positive thing to stay in touch. Currently one of my co-authors is from a school I chose not to attend. She is also on my committee. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to stay in contact, but keep in mind that they are busy too. Any time that they spend working with you is time that they aren't spending working with their students. While this isn't generally a big deal, they might decide that it isn't in their best interest to work with you. You just need to be OK with that.

So my advice is to try to keep one working relationship (i.e. actively working with someone) if they are willing to do so. Then for all the other profs, keep a cordial relationship. Email them before conferences to see if they'll be there and if they are ask to go out for a drink with them. Be friendly, but not pushy. Remember these are the people who will be hiring you sooner than you think.

Thanks. My school does collaborate with couple of top Canadian and European schools in my field. Hopefully that should be enough in terms of working on external projects, but thought would be good to exchange occasional emails with professors who work in the similar sub-research area.

Of course, given my corporate and start-up background, I have to be careful about not being perceived as pushy.

I don't know if there is a norm. Generally, however, I think that it is a positive thing to stay in touch. Currently one of my co-authors is from a school I chose not to attend. She is also on my committee. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to stay in contact, but keep in mind that they are busy too. Any time that they spend working with you is time that they aren't spending working with their students. While this isn't generally a big deal, they might decide that it isn't in their best interest to work with you. You just need to be OK with that.

So my advice is to try to keep one working relationship (i.e. actively working with someone) if they are willing to do so. Then for all the other profs, keep a cordial relationship. Email them before conferences to see if they'll be there and if they are ask to go out for a drink with them. Be friendly, but not pushy. Remember these are the people who will be hiring you sooner than you think.