Urch Forums

Accounting PhD 2018 Profile Evaluation

shirleyshan12

Test Scores 710 quantitative 50 (87%) and verbal 34 (72%)

Undegrad GPA: 3.9 out of 4, top 5 Canadian university (I don't know whether this is relevant but our school has a phd program and there is a number of professors that are active in research) I also have a minor in economics.

Graduate GPA: 3.9 out of 4 currently haven't completed the program yet, WUSTL Master of accounting

Research Experience: I am working as a research assistant for one of my professor at WUSTL

Teaching Experience: I expect to work as a teaching assistant at WUSTL next semester and I have worked as a teaching assistant before during my undergraduate program

Work Experience: I am currently working as a accounting clerk at a local firm in st louis and I have worked at a accounting firm back ih China. I might work for another year after I graduate from master of accounting program in US (haven't decided yet).

Concentration Applying to: accounting phd

Number of programs planned to apply to: I am actually thinking about apply to 10+ programs

Target & Dream Schools: ASU and U of Arizona are my first choice. I am also thinking about WUSTL, Texas dallas, Texas A&M, PSU, University of Houston, GSU, university of florida, UCI UBC and University of waterloo etc... I haven't really decided yet. I really need some advice on how to select my target school.

quant & econ courses: intro to micro, intro to macro, intermediate micro I, II and intermediate macro I, II, level 1 calculus, level 1 stats, level 2 stats I am considering take econometrics or stats during my last semester, what do you guys think about that ?

I don't have a lot of work experience and I know there are schools out there that prefer applicants with some work experience in accounting, so do u guys think that it will be better if I could work for one or two years before applying for PhD directly after I graduate from my master program?

I don't think that a couple years of experience is worth it if you know that you want a PhD. However, some schools have a strong preference for that and having the CPA license is something.

If you could bump GMAT up a little it would give you some more options. 710 with 50 q will be plenty, but more is better. I wouldn't put a ton of effort into it.

Your letters will matter a ton. There are a few people at Wash U that could help you get into good schools. A letter from a respected professor goes a long way. I would attend their workshops and try to go to the Dopuch conference if you can. I would also try to take a seminar as part of your MAcc. I did and it helped me a lot.

I would take an econometrics class, but I would actually prioritize this below a PhD seminar if you have to choose. The next stats class you need would require calc 3. If you decide to do a couple years of work then getting through calc 2, 3 and linear algebra at a community college or something like that would be beneficial.

Your list so far seems pretty well put together. I am assuming you have an Arizona location preference for some reason. Those schools should be target schools anyway, so that works well for you.

What type of research are you interested in?

I think you'll be pretty competitive at both Arizona and ASU, as well as the other programs you have listed.

I agree with YaSvoboden that econometrics would be a good choice if you can fit it into your schedule during the MAcc program. Also agree that a doctoral seminar would be even better, though a lot of schools are quite protective of letting non-PhD students into these classes. Try and take every opportunity possible to make WUSTL work to your advantage. Try and talk with faculty there about your interest in a PhD program, letters from their high quality faculty will be great when applying to schools. Through talking with faculty, try to get exposure to the WUSTL research workshops, and as YaSvoboden said, also the Dopuch if you can.