Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Accounting phd shortage still significant after ADS?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Accounting phd shortage still significant after ADS?

Sponsored Ad:
    I've looked but haven't seen this really discussed in a few years. I know that ADS began back in 2009 and went for I want to say 3 years. Now that it was renewed in 2016 how do other perceive the shortage of accounting phds and faculty. I'm applying this fall and always worry that the push for more students will catch up by time I complete a program but looking at top and mid range schools it seems they are stilll only matriculating 2-3 students a year.

Anyone recently graduating or currently at a school and see first hand what is going on and what the trend is for accounting doctral students. I'd love to hear from you all or just others that have looked into it and speculate. To me I hope to be able to get a job in 6ish years without a problem but I also don't want to end up at a school with too few professors and get over worked at the same time. It just seems to me schools aren't using the ADS money to add more students but are rather using it to supplement and cut costs.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Accounting phd shortage still significant after ADS?

My impression is that the ADS program didn't dramatically increase the number of graduates. The binding constraint on PhD admits isn't usually cost, but faculty time. The program didn't do much to help faculty get more time to work with students. I'm sure that some schools admitted more students, but a lot of them just replaced another candidate or got better funding.

I was talking with professors from lower-tier schools a couple weeks ago and they were still very concerned about the shortage. I think they mentioned that the average accounting professor is 58.

I am starting year 5 now. I have heard that the trend is that the market is getting tougher. I think this is probably true to some extent, but it's still a fine market. I am under the impression that top schools are herding more, so it is tougher to get interviews and land at the top. However, there are plenty of jobs as you move down the ranks. I have seen people from teaching schools stand up in meetings and say that they need 3 accounting PhDs to fill slots the next fall in order to maintain AACSB standards. So everyone really does get a job, but the top research schools may be slightly harder to land than in the past.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

I worry about that. I want a mainly research job. I don't really want to be at the absolute top school but a position at a flagship where I teach maybe 1 class a semester is what I'm aiming for. I would hate to uproot my entire life and leave stable albeit boring job just to get to the end and only be able to get in a teaching school.

I know some people want teaching and some don't mind it but I don't see myself enjoying a full load of teaching I'd rather have few classes and connect with a smaller group of students and have more time for research.

now it's Dr. TaxPhD

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Agree with YaSvoboden. I started my PhD program back in 2009, and I can say with quite a bit of certainty that very few schools admitted incremental students. So while maybe ADS slightly increased the total number of PhD graduates, it did not do so drastically. However, it did potentially change the composition of graduates a little (i.e., more tax and audit graduates relative to financial or managerial in the post-ADS period than in the pre-ADS period). The feeling I get, is that it increased the audit market by a greater proportion than it did the tax market. A much higher percentage of ADS students were audit, in addition, there are many more PhD programs that can successfully mentor an audit PhD student. Tax is just a small world, not a ton of research active tax faculty and not a ton of PhD programs that can support tax PhD students. So even with ADS, it was just a small group of schools that were even willing to accept tax students.

The school I am currently a faculty member at has 4-5 full professors that are around 68-70 years old. And I know that many schools are in this boat, and thus there will be ample job opportunities in accounting for the foreseeable future, in my opinion. I know it's taking many schools multiple years to fill an open position.
    Last edited by taxPhD; 05-22-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Thread Information