Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: 2018 Entrepreneurship/Management PhD Profile Evaluation

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

2018 Entrepreneurship/Management PhD Profile Evaluation

Sponsored Ad:
    GRE: 154Q 162V 4.5AWA (The scores are from Oct. 2016, I'm retaking the GRE in August to see if I can improve my scores).

Undergrad:
    • B.A. Sociology.
    • 6.48/First Class (WES tells me that this is equivalent to a 3.23/4.00).
    • Top 5 college for Arts & Science in India.

Graduate:
    • MSc. Work and Organisational Psychology.
    • 66%/Merit (WES tells me that this is equivalent to 3.60/4.00).
    • University is in the Russell Group, ranked 13th in the UK and 75th in the world (QS, 2017).
    • Distinction achieved on Masters dissertation (4.00), dissertation area - entrepreneurship.

Other Educational Experiences:
    • PG Certification in Human Resource Management.
    • Lean Six Sigma (Green Belt).
    • Certification in Business Analytics from a top-30 b-school in India.

Research Experience - NA (Does dissertation count?)

Teaching Experience - NA

Professional Experience:
    • Multiple leadership roles (National & International) with a voluntary organisation.
    • 1 year work experience in Human Capital & OD at one of the largest private employers in the world.
    • 1 year entrepreneurial experience.
    • 3 month start-up work experience (current).
    • Multiple internships ranging from established multi-national firms to boutique consultancies.

Concentration Applying To:

This is where it gets a bit more complicated. The area i'm interested in exploring is entrepreneurial/new-venture teams, and faculty exploring this area are split up between OB, Entrepreneurship and Management. My research interests are inherently multi-disciplinary. Therefore, I believe I have to apply to different concentrations at different universities based on which area the faculty of interest are listed under - is this the right approach?

Schools Applying To: 20-25

Dream Schools: Carlson, Minnesota; Kelley, Indiana; Darden - Virginia; INSEAD; Leeds - Boulder.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

Other Information:

2017 Application Cycle Results

I had applied to - INSEAD (Singapore), University of California - Berkeley (Haas), Indiana University - Bloomington (Kelley), University of Colorado - Boulder (Leeds), University of Minnesota -TC (Carlson), University of Iowa (Tippie), Syracuse University (Whitman), Northwestern University (Kellogg).

No interviews, or waitlists - a complete wash-out.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

I am currently preparing for the GRE and TOEFL again because my IELTS (8.5/9) expires on the 30th of May. I believe my low quant score on the GRE (55th percentile) could have been a factor for the rejections. Furthermore, I am working on a few research papers (1 as first author, 2 as second), and have a prospective conference paper being presented in September. I believe that these are the only things I can do to improve my applications at this point.

However, I have 4 questions more which I have no idea about

1. Is the specificity of my research interests are hampering my application prospects?

2. Are my low undergrad scores ruling me out of contention?

3. I did not contact any faculty during the application process, should I reach out to the faculty of interest and find out if they are planning on taking on students so that I can decide whether to apply or not?

4. I am planning on expanding my application pool, and adding more areas of interest after my new GRE scores are in. This is because I want to be able to gauge which programs (apart from my dream ones) are realistic, and tailor my applications/research interests to faculty associated with those programs. Can this be considered a wise course of action?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2018 Entrepreneurship/Management PhD Profile Evaluation

I don't think having specific interests should hamper your prospects. I am sure you have done research to identify professors whose interests match your specific interests, and mention in your SoP.

Many of the top schools in your list would have cutoff scores for GRE and GMAT. Unless there are other aspects of your application such as stellar academic performance or strong LoRs from well known professors to compensate your low quant score, it could be a reason. Your low undergraduate GPA could be the reason too, but that is out of your hand now. Focus on getting as much as possible on your GRE/GMAT, and apply widely, as schools such as Insead, Berkeley and Minnesota are incredibly competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychtrepreneur View Post

1. Is the specificity of my research interests are hampering my application prospects?

2. Are my low undergrad scores ruling me out of contention? !

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you! My letter of recommendation writers are pretty well known in the UK/Europe - I don't know how well known they are across the pond though. I am planning on applying all over this year, with good mix across rankings and countries. Let's see what happens!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I applied to Marketing PhD and I'm not in any of the schools you applied to. But maybe my experience helps.

1 - I was a lot more specific than you when stating research interests, including research problems I'd like to face and specific concepts I want to study. I think it helped me a lot during the interviews. I think specificity is not a problem, unless you can't find faculty doing research close to your interests (doesn't seem the case).

2 - My undergrad scores are worse than yours. If you use WES conversion, it is a 3.0 GPA. But it is from the #1 university in Latin America, where it is virtually impossible to get a GPA close to 4.0. I explained that briefly in my SoP.

3 - I also didn't contact any faculty. There is a lot of disagreement about doing that, I'm not sure if it helps. But if you do, my opinion is that you should write a very compelling e-mail. Just asking if they plan to take students is a waste of time. Most schools take a few students for every program every year and when they don't intend to, they inform about it on their websites. At least I've seem a school doing that during my school list selection.

4 - Applying to more programs just to gauge which programs are realistic does not seem to make sense to me. You should apply to programs you'd be happy to attend, even if they aren't the ones of your dreams.
    Tailoring applications to the faculty is not only wise, I think it is expected.

Thread Information