Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How to contact professors to work with before applying

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

How to contact professors to work with before applying

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi everyone,

I am interested in applying for PhD in Marketing - Quant track (Modelling and Strategy mixed). I read that contacting professors to work with prior to application helps improve the chance to be admitted to a good program and increase the chance to work with the professors the student wants to work with. Could you share your experience or advice on how to contact faculty and start working with them? For students interested in Quant like me, should I find data and propose research to faculty or just describe some topics that I am interested in? How much details should I be prepared to discuss my research interests with faculty so that they can agree to work with me?

Thanks

Good post? Yes | No

Re: How to contact professors to work with before applying

Could any give advice regarding contacting professors?

Thanks a lot!

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Have you heard this for business schools? I have heard of such things in sciences where you are applying to a lab and a professor basically agrees to mentor you before you come in, but not within business schools.

Having contact with professors is great, but that usually isn't a cold contact. There isn't much harm in contacting them through email or something like that, but you are unlikely to get much out of it. I always think it is good to contact people if you have a legitimate reason. I.e. there is information you want that isn't on the website.

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Your best bet is to just meet with local professors face to face. I can tell you from experience that it is really really easy to ignore and email from a student. I can also tell you from experience that showing up at a professors door is a lot harder to ignore. If you are able to meet with a professor and talk about your ideas that will go a lot further in helping you to work with them.

If you get a chance to do that I suggest the following type of conversation. "Good morning, I'm here today because I am interested in marketing research. I read a few of your papers and I love to talk to you a little about your research. If you have the time would you mind me asking you a few questions about it?" Then proceed to ask specific questions such as what their current research interests are, how that relates to previous work and most importantly ideas that you have that could help them. Professors are unlikely to just bring you onto a project without you doing the majority of the legwork. If, however, you go in with something specific that you are interested in looking at and have the tools to immediately start helping them that is a huge deal.

I wouldn't focus on bringing data with you, rather focus on coming up with a good research idea and basically propose it to a professor. Ask them if they would be willing to work with you on it, and if it is even an idea worth pursuing. That will get you the furthest. Good luck!
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    Have you heard this for business schools? I have heard of such things in sciences where you are applying to a lab and a professor basically agrees to mentor you before you come in, but not within business schools.

Having contact with professors is great, but that usually isn't a cold contact. There isn't much harm in contacting them through email or something like that, but you are unlikely to get much out of it. I always think it is good to contact people if you have a legitimate reason. I.e. there is information you want that isn't on the website.
    @YaSvoboden: Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by XanthusARES View Post
    Your best bet is to just meet with local professors face to face. I can tell you from experience that it is really really easy to ignore and email from a student. I can also tell you from experience that showing up at a professors door is a lot harder to ignore. If you are able to meet with a professor and talk about your ideas that will go a lot further in helping you to work with them.

If you get a chance to do that I suggest the following type of conversation. "Good morning, I'm here today because I am interested in marketing research. I read a few of your papers and I love to talk to you a little about your research. If you have the time would you mind me asking you a few questions about it?" Then proceed to ask specific questions such as what their current research interests are, how that relates to previous work and most importantly ideas that you have that could help them. Professors are unlikely to just bring you onto a project without you doing the majority of the legwork. If, however, you go in with something specific that you are interested in looking at and have the tools to immediately start helping them that is a huge deal.

I wouldn't focus on bringing data with you, rather focus on coming up with a good research idea and basically propose it to a professor. Ask them if they would be willing to work with you on it, and if it is even an idea worth pursuing. That will get you the furthest. Good luck!
    @XanthusARES: Thanks a lot for your insightful opinion! I was so concerned about emailing professors and getting no reply. Sometimes I even question whether I should apply to the schools if their professors don't reply to my email. However, I have never thought of the idea to meet and talk to professors in person. I will try to meet and speak to them to understand more about their research interests and see if they are interested in my research ideas.

Good post? Yes | No

@XanthusARES: Thanks a lot for your insightful opinion! I was so concerned about emailing professors and not getting a reply from them. Sometimes I question whether I should apply for the schools if their professors don't reply to my email. However, I have never thought of the idea to speak with them in person. I will try to meet and speak with professors to understand more about their research interests and to see if they are interested in my research ideas.

Thank you!

Good post? Yes | No

@XanthusARES: Thanks a lot for your insightful opinion! I was so concerned about emailing professors and not getting a reply from them. Sometimes I question whether I should apply for the schools if their professors don't reply to my email. However, I have never thought of the idea to speak with them in person. I will try to meet and speak with professors to understand more about their research interests and to see if they are interested in my research ideas.

Thank you!

Grasp. Analyze. Repeat

Good post? Yes | No

I can tell you from experience that it is really really easy to ignore and email from a student.
    Ask me about this. Like @cactusecon I am working towards my app for Fall 2018. I lack research experience being in a corporate role for the last 10 years. After attending a DOCNET event, meeting admission coordinators and a lot of dilly dallying, I finally sent an email to about 10 professors from local B-schools with a brief background before popping the question - asking them their willingness to let me work with them as a RA.

Been 10 days - no response yet from any professor whom I contacted. I am not sure if any of them even read it but I am sure by now, my email would be buried.

Upping the game, I guess I should follow XanthusARES' advice and just show up. But a question that comes to my mind - isnt there a professional practice to seek an appointment before showing up? Isn't that going to be by e-mail as well?
    Keep Cool and Urch On

Thread Information