Sponsored Ad:

Thread: When to take the GMAT

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

When to take the GMAT

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi all - I am planning on applying to schools for Accounting PHD programs this fall. I have noticed that many of them begin taking applications in September. Is it a must to have your GMAT scores in by September, or are the following months ok? Thank you!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: When to take the GMAT

It's fine either way. It's entirely up to you when you want to send it in. However, do note that when you send your GMAT scores, it'll take 1-2 weeks to arrive. Your application package won't be evaluated till all the components have been received.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

You just need to send it in before the deadlines. So you can take it as late as December if you really want to push it. However, I would recommend taking it earlier depending on your schedule. If you take in July and then don't do as well as you were hoping that leaves time for studying and retaking. It will also help you know where to send applications.

Good post? Yes | No

I agree with YaSvoboden. You can do it late, but it is not advisable.

As he said, your score is usually something that helps to narrow the list of scools, and that's not something you should leave as a last moment decision.

And it's safer to take the test earlier (of course, if you are prepared for it, but then you should be prepared for it by the time applications start). Not only it leaves time to retake the test if necessary, but leaves times to solve other things that may go wrong. What if there is some technical issue at your test center when you take the GMAT? What if there is a delay and your official scores take longer than expected to be available? Things like that may be rare, but they happen.

In my case, for example, the official scores were released only after a long time due to an issue with my registration for the test. It was easily solved, but only after approximately a month. No problem for me, since I took the GMAT in October. But if I had left to take it in December, I would be in deep trouble since I wouldn't be able to send my official scores to some schools by their deadlines.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

I learnt this the hard way. Wish I had come across this advice last year.

I took my GMAT only in January and scored 690. But, it was too close to deadlines of most of the schools I applied to. So, I had to send the 690 score any way even though I wasn't happy, as there wasn't any time left to retake and improve. It also meant that I didn't apply to couple of schools in my list, as it would have been a desk reject.

I suggest taking the test early with plenty of time left to retake if necessary.

Thread Information