Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Profile evaluation-Phd in Marketing (CB)

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Smile Profile evaluation-Phd in Marketing (CB)

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi there
    I’m a rising senior and I’m going to apply for PhD in marketing (CB) this fall-2018 matriculation. I’ll be really grateful if anyone could take a look at my profile and offer me some advice! Thanks!
    Below is a little bit about myself:

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE):
    GMAT: 770(99%): Q:51(97%), V:42(96%), AWA:6(90%), IR:5(54%)
    GRE: V:162(90%), Q:169(97%), AWA:4.5(82%)
    (BTW, which score do you think I should use? May I send them both?)
    Undegrad GPA: Around 3.95/4.0, rank the 1st in my cohort (top 2 B-school in China, accounting major); One semester study abroad at a top 5 public US university, GPA 4.0/4.0
    Research Experience:
    1 One working project in progress, co-authored with two HK marketing Assistant professors. The studies were mostly completed and first draft of the paper in preparation. Working paper was accepted by this year’s ACR (first author) and I’m gonna attend the conference this fall in San Diego Super excited and nervous ummm...
    2 Currently serving RAship (i.e. reviewing literature, designing experiment, analyzing data etc.) for a marketing Assistant Professor at NUS, Singapore.
    3 Last summer served as RA for a marketing Assistant Professor at a public university in HK (who later became my co-author in the working project mentioned above).
    4 Several other pieces of unimportant marketing CB-related RAships during my sophomore year (some dirty work like data collection and input etc.).
    Teaching Experience: None.
    Work Experience: None.

Concentration Applying to: Marketing (CB)
    Number of programs planned to apply to: 10-15
    Dream Schools: Stanford (fine, I know it’s only DREAM school)!! Other T30 school.

Other information
    1. I have been considering pursuing a PhD since the end of my freshman year. This is primarily because I really do not like the work atmosphere at corporations and I’d like to be a university faculty in the future. At that time, I briefly explored the b-schools’ PhD programs and found that Marketing (CB) look interesting. I began taking on some minor RA work from the beginning of my sophomore year and gradually became settled on this path.

2. Personally I think my weakness is that I don’t have any letter of reference from US professors, so I don’t know whether my letter of recommendation will play a role at all. Also, given that I’m an international student, I’m not sure whether language will be a concern during the admission process (though I do have a pretty decent Toefl score). More importantly, although I have done my own project with other professors and it has been accepted by ACR, the research topic my paper explored is a rather narrow one, thus I think it may not help much if I list it as my major research interest in the SOP since only very limited professor will be matched with me then.

Questions:

1 What’s my chance of getting admitted to T30? Any advice what I could do now to improve my chance?
    I know that the slots are limited and there’re tons of other applicants who have solid research experience as well as good connection with target schools’ professors. But spending the money and the 5-6 years of time at another country is a big decision in my life. And I think I’ll only apply to some T30 PhD programs and several psych MA programs so at least I could be confident that my investment is kind of worthy. I will really appreciate it if you could help me have some idea on my chance.
    2 What’s the most important factor during admission?
    I personally guess it’s the fit between the faculty’s research interest and mine. But I do think the words about research interest can be cheap talk. And honestly, I’m not quite sure what I’d like to focus on in the future. I’m interested in a lot of topics and I think I’m willing to do the research in the given area as long as I have a supervisor that goes along with me. Moreover, I think the research procedure (i.e. experiment design, data analysis) is similar for all CB topics, only whether you’re familiar with the literature or not. I really don’t quite understand the point of emphasizing on research interest for an incoming PhD student.

3 Any research-focused psych MA program to recommend?
    I know that the psych MA at NYU is good. It can be self-designed as research focused and extended into two years of study. Is there any other research-focused psych MA program that may help for future PhD in Marketing (CB) application?

Thank you very much! Wish you all the best
    Ummm...And sorry for the long post. It seems that I wrote too many words (sigh…)

Lilly
    Last edited by lillynaiko; 07-13-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Thread Information