Sponsored Ad:

Thread: 2018 Accounting PhD Profile Evaluation

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Smile 2018 Accounting PhD Profile Evaluation

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi all, I'm applying to accounting PhD programs this fall.
    I would greatly appreciate any comment/feedback.

Here's little about me:

Undergrad: 3.84 at top 3 liberal arts college (econ major, stat minor)
    Grad: currently at 3.82 MAcc
    GMAT: 770 (Q51/V42)
    Work experience: None
    Research experience: None
    Courses Taken: Linear algebra, Differential Eq., Calc 3, 2 semesters of econometrics, 3 semseters of stats

Concentration: Managerial

Schools Planning to Apply:
    MSU, Temple, Pittsburgh, UPenn, UWashington; Duke; USC; Texas A&M, UTD, UWinsconsin, NYU, UArizona, Harvard, Columbia, Drexel, UC Berkeley, UMich, UToronto, OSU, UBC, UC Irvine, Georgetown, UChicago

My biggest weakness in my profile is definitely having no research experience or even a hint of interest in research. I'm trying to take either Current Issues in Managerial Accounting or Econometrics course (both offered at PhD level) this fall to make up for that. Which course do you think I should prioritize?

Another concern is having relatively weak LoR. I plan to ask three of my professors but only one is research active and the other two are adjunct.

With this profile, is my school list on right track?

Any help or advice would be great.

now it's Dr. TaxPhD

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2018 Accounting PhD Profile Evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by affogato View Post
    Hi all, I'm applying to accounting PhD programs this fall.
    I would greatly appreciate any comment/feedback.

Here's little about me:

Undergrad: 3.84 at top 3 liberal arts college (econ major, stat minor)
    Grad: currently at 3.82 MAcc
    GMAT: 770 (Q51/V42)
    Work experience: None
    Research experience: None
    Courses Taken: Linear algebra, Differential Eq., Calc 3, 2 semesters of econometrics, 3 semseters of stats

Concentration: Managerial

Schools Planning to Apply:
    MSU, Temple, Pittsburgh, UPenn, UWashington; Duke; USC; Texas A&M, UTD, UWinsconsin, NYU, UArizona, Harvard, Columbia, Drexel, UC Berkeley, UMich, UToronto, OSU, UBC, UC Irvine, Georgetown, UChicago

My biggest weakness in my profile is definitely having no research experience or even a hint of interest in research. I'm trying to take either Current Issues in Managerial Accounting or Econometrics course (both offered at PhD level) this fall to make up for that. Which course do you think I should prioritize?

Another concern is having relatively weak LoR. I plan to ask three of my professors but only one is research active and the other two are adjunct.

With this profile, is my school list on right track?

Any help or advice would be great.
    In terms of your profile, your undergrad and masters GPAs are good, and your GMAT score is excellent. In addition, the fact that your undergrad was heavily quantitative, but you also have accounting coursework through your masters will be helpful. Many students enter accounting PhD programs woefully unprepared for the quantitative rigor. It's not that they aren't capable of handling the rigor, it's just that if they were an accounting major as an undergrad, they likely did not take much calculus, linear algebra, econometrics, etc. So having both the quant background and the accounting background will benefit you in the admissions process.

Having no research experience in your profile is a weakness, but not a huge one. I'd say the vast majority of applicants to accounting PhD programs have little or no meaningful experience with research. However, if you can manage to take that managerial accounting PhD seminar, that would certainly help get you some more exposure to research. In addition, the faculty member teaching that course would be a very valuable LoR writer. Given you already have a good quant background, I'd prioritize the managerial PhD seminar over PhD level econometrics right now.

Do you know which research method you are interested in? Managerial has large groups of researchers doing work in all three primary methods (archival, experimental/behavioral, and analytical). Knowing which method you are most interested in will help you narrow down a list of potential schools.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

I second what TaxPhD said about taking the managerial accounting seminar. I took seminars during my macc and they were very useful.

Your school list is interesting. I see all three methods that tax mentioned represented there. It is ok to be open to different methods, but you need to understand them to some degree and be able to express why you are interested. I would expect the seminar to help with this.

I would also guess that you are at a place with a weekly workshop where professors from other schools come and give talks. I recommend attending that if you can.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

I should've mentioned that I'm looking into archival managerial.

As for the managerial accounting seminar, the professor unfortunately said no I guess I'm going to have to take econometrics instead. It's been a while since I last took econometrics or stats class. I'm sure it'll be helpful getting a refresher and taste of PhD econometrics.

YaSvoboden, the academic program director said he would like to write a rec for me and even put me on an email list for weekly research workshop. I will definitely try to attend it if I can.

Thread Information