Urch Forums

GRE advice for phd finance

ted23

I posted here a few times about my finance phd applications. My weak point has always been my gre scores. I've attempted a few times now and the best i can do is

Q164 (87th percentile)

V163 (93rd percentile)

AW: 5.0

The rest of my application is strong but I am wondering this score alone will kill me for all good schools which is stressing me out.

Could I have some advice to see if I am stressing out?

I start my Masters at lse next month so I probably don't have a chance to sit it again. I have teaching and research experience and have a working paper in international finance and a first class honours degree in finance and econometrics. I'll have exposure to proper stochastic calculus and advanced micro so I'm confident in the rest of my application.

I understand q164 is a deal breaker for top 10 but I'm flexible. Top 30 or 40 is ok with me. I'm hoping my scores will be ok for them? Do you think so?

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think you are doing too poorly. I would maybe consider addressing it in your statement of purpose and really emphasizing your other skills- some people are just not good test takers. Also, although the top 10 are great schools, there are plenty of brilliant and amazing mentors and lower tiered schools.