See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lessons learned in 2017

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Lessons learned in 2017

Sponsored Ad:
    Deleted duplicate post.
    Last edited by Cliffs; 09-10-2017 at 02:33 AM.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Deleted duplicate post.
    Last edited by Cliffs; 09-10-2017 at 02:33 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Hi all! Good to see you again!
    *waves*

Thanks for the post and the terrific information provided. All of the information here is fantastic and the points raised are absolutely areas new applicants should consider and/or seek to improve.

That said, for those that are considering applying, but don't "check every box", don't get discouraged. I know this was mentioned with respect to GMAT scores, but I would apply that to other areas as well. I suspect that several of us that were successful applicants met a number of the aforementioned qualifications, but perhaps not all. Look at your background and qualifications critically, but don't discount our chances of you are lacking in one area- assess how you may improve it and address to the best of your ability but don't forgo applying altogether if you don't meet all of the ideals. I only say this because I almost didn't apply, but a colleague encouraged me to do so, and fortunately it worked out well.

As mentioned in several comments (and as a mentor told me a year ago), you may not get into your "dream" school, but the school you do attend may be the "right" one for you. I can only speak to my personal experience, but I found that to be true (and couldn't be happier with the school I ended up attending).

Eager!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Hi! Started my program this academic year, and have really learned a lot from this experience. Am currently at a.. T10 school I guess? And got offers/interviews a few other T10s as well.

Just one more voice to add to the research experience/faculty connection choir... The thing that really struck me is just how many students (myself included) in my current program (and those I was visiting) had already been in the school. Either through research, or prior degrees, nearly half the cohort had developed at least a years' worth of track record with the program before starting. In my experience at least, being near the department was incredibly informative for the professors, who got to know my work (and could write of it well to other schools), and for me to know exactly what I wanted out of a school when I was choosing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information