Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 107

Thread: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

  1. #91
    A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,414
    Blog Entries
    14
    Rep Power
    10


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

    Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by TaxGal View Post
    What should I think about a really good accounting program releasing last year (2017) placements and both graduates got “visiting” positions? I’m worried cause up until last year they placed at good schools like UIUC and Baruch TT. Having both graduates not get TT positions seems like a bad sign. Should I be worried?

    To give a general idea Dallas rankings put it T15 BYU has it T25
    I cannot speak for accounting, but if the school has placed well in the past but had a significantly down year, then it's likely that is exactly what it was, a down year. There are a lot of reasons that people may chose to not take a TT position, and you can't know if the students didn't get any offers or if they turned down offers. I wouldn't put any stock into whatsoever. If the placement history has been strong, you'll be fine.

    One obvious caveat to this. Did the school lose some faculty recently? If they lost a few big names to retirement or school switching and never replaced them, this could be the starting signal that things are going downhill for the program. However if the faculty has remained relatively stable over the past 5-8 years, then the fact that last year two students didn't get TT positions is a blip, not a trend, and should be viewed as such.
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

  2. #92
    An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,170
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by XanthusARES View Post
    I cannot speak for accounting, but if the school has placed well in the past but had a significantly down year, then it's likely that is exactly what it was, a down year. There are a lot of reasons that people may chose to not take a TT position, and you can't know if the students didn't get any offers or if they turned down offers. I wouldn't put any stock into whatsoever. If the placement history has been strong, you'll be fine.

    One obvious caveat to this. Did the school lose some faculty recently? If they lost a few big names to retirement or school switching and never replaced them, this could be the starting signal that things are going downhill for the program. However if the faculty has remained relatively stable over the past 5-8 years, then the fact that last year two students didn't get TT positions is a blip, not a trend, and should be viewed as such.
    Well said, Xanthus.

    I can't think of what school this is, but you can pm me if you want. Placements are the best summary statistic for a PhD program, but they are also quite noisy. Faculty reputations are pretty sticky, so if they placed well in the past they can place well again. This actually a fine question to (carefully) ask if you get an interview.

  3. #93
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

    Hey guys. Does anyone know the percentage of accounting programs which have campus interviews before they admit students? My situation is really unique because of my visa status. Would it necessarily hurt me if I ask for an alternative interview when a school offers a campus interview?

  4. #94
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    1


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Xixixixixixi View Post
    Hey guys. Does anyone know the percentage of accounting programs which have campus interviews before they admit students? My situation is really unique because of my visa status. Would it necessarily hurt me if I ask for an alternative interview when a school offers a campus interview?
    Hi! Not sure what the percentage is, but I know a couple of people who travel to the U.S. on visitor visa for campus visits, so I guess visa status shouldn't be a problem even if you currently reside outside of the U.S.?

  5. #95
    An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,170
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Xixixixixixi View Post
    Hey guys. Does anyone know the percentage of accounting programs which have campus interviews before they admit students? My situation is really unique because of my visa status. Would it necessarily hurt me if I ask for an alternative interview when a school offers a campus interview?
    Most do campus interviews, but they usually substitute Skype interviews for internationals. It is a missed opportunity for you, but shouldn't have a strong effect on admissions

  6. #96
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    2


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

    I was waitlisted at a top 10 school last year and reapplying again this year.. Was wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether last yearís waitlist spot is a strong signal for getting into one of the final rounds this year.

    Also, I wonder if it makes sense to try and reach out o PoI or the person who interviewed me last year and express my strong interest within the context of almost getting in last year.. would that be constructive or counterproductive?

  7. #97
    An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,170
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ids1 View Post
    I was waitlisted at a top 10 school last year and reapplying again this year.. Was wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether last year’s waitlist spot is a strong signal for getting into one of the final rounds this year.

    Also, I wonder if it makes sense to try and reach out o PoI or the person who interviewed me last year and express my strong interest within the context of almost getting in last year.. would that be constructive or counterproductive?
    Being waitlisted last year is a good sign. Did you have any offers that you turned down last year?

    I think it makes sense to reach out to the professor given you have a bit of a relationship.

  8. #98
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    2


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    Being waitlisted last year is a good sign. Did you have any offers that you turned down last year?

    I think it makes sense to reach out to the professor given you have a bit of a relationship.
    Didnít have any offers.. aimed high and i assume that being an older applicant was quite a hurdle in the end.. widened my range a bit this year.. i am a bit apprehensive though.. I think being an older applicant would represent a challenge in the job market if and when i am done with the PhD.. so donít really want to compound it by going into a lower tiered program.. I think I have a pretty solid profile which would have played out well had I applied years ago..

    The program in question, I have someone on the faculty who is trying to emphasize my profile internally but he is not involved in admissions unfortunately..

    Would love to pick your brain some more via DM as I have followed your posts last year and have a lot of respect for your insights..

  9. #99
    An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,170
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ids1 View Post
    Didn’t have any offers.. aimed high and i assume that being an older applicant was quite a hurdle in the end.. widened my range a bit this year.. i am a bit apprehensive though.. I think being an older applicant would represent a challenge in the job market if and when i am done with the PhD.. so don’t really want to compound it by going into a lower tiered program.. I think I have a pretty solid profile which would have played out well had I applied years ago..

    The program in question, I have someone on the faculty who is trying to emphasize my profile internally but he is not involved in admissions unfortunately..

    Would love to pick your brain some more via DM as I have followed your posts last year and have a lot of respect for your insights..
    Feel free to send a message.

    Having a professor on the inside definitely helps.

  10. #100
    Within my grasp! BrazilianPhD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    2


    Good post? Yes | No

    Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ids1 View Post
    Didn’t have any offers.. aimed high and i assume that being an older applicant was quite a hurdle in the end.. widened my range a bit this year.. i am a bit apprehensive though.. I think being an older applicant would represent a challenge in the job market if and when i am done with the PhD.. so don’t really want to compound it by going into a lower tiered program.. I think I have a pretty solid profile which would have played out well had I applied years ago..
    I also was very afraid of being considered old for applications. Now that I've been doing a PhD, with the opportunity to talk and meet many people in academia, I don't believe age is reason enough to get rejected by all schools. A few schools, maybe, but that's not a general prejudice.

    You say you aimed high and have a pretty solid profile. I don't know how high, and I don't know your profile. But usually applying only to the very top schools means very low chances, even with a pretty solid profile. You should have a perfect quantitative score on the standardized test (51Q if using the GMAT, 170Q if GRE), good research experience (some papers to show, conference presentations, experience as a research assistant), and very strong letters of recommendation (professors with good reputation and who can really attest to your potential as a researcher) to feel good about your chances.

    If you don't have those things, you just have to know that it may not be that hard for the very top schools to find some applicants who do. Even if you have those things, I don't recommend limiting yourself to something like top 10 or top 20, unless you really are not willing to accept anything lower. In short for schools like top 10 or top 20, a pretty solid profile is usually not enough, you need a nearly perfect profile to feel more confident.

    I see lots of applicants fixed on top 10, top 20, top 25, and it usually looks to me like they are underestimating the PhD application process. Ok, maybe you are really excellent, really strong. But for a top PhD, really excellent, really strong, is often pretty standard.

    About age, what I see is not an issue with the age. But how applicants use age in their application. You should be able to explain in a convincing way why you are looking for a PhD after so many years, for example. Older applicants also usually have lots of experience outside of academia, and they have to be careful about that. I worked outside of academia for decades, I did "research" in Finance and Marketing at some companies. But if I try to sell that experience as a good substitute for experience with academic research, it can really backfire. That's one of the things that I noticed they were checking about me during the interviews. So, I believe that the problem is usually not age, but how you present those extra years in your application.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread
    By zanelabw in forum PhD in Business
    Replies: 1315
    Last Post: 05-27-2017, 11:40 PM
  2. 2017 Ph.D. Business Administration "Un-sweat" Thread
    By averdoc in forum PhD in Business
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-03-2017, 04:02 AM
  3. 2016 PhD Business Administration Sweat Thread
    By CBHopeful2016 in forum PhD in Business
    Replies: 501
    Last Post: 04-06-2016, 05:08 PM
  4. Replies: 744
    Last Post: 04-15-2015, 04:25 PM
  5. Replies: 836
    Last Post: 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •