Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by TaxGal View Post
    What should I think about a really good accounting program releasing last year (2017) placements and both graduates got “visiting” positions? I’m worried cause up until last year they placed at good schools like UIUC and Baruch TT. Having both graduates not get TT positions seems like a bad sign. Should I be worried?

To give a general idea Dallas rankings put it T15 BYU has it T25
    I cannot speak for accounting, but if the school has placed well in the past but had a significantly down year, then it's likely that is exactly what it was, a down year. There are a lot of reasons that people may chose to not take a TT position, and you can't know if the students didn't get any offers or if they turned down offers. I wouldn't put any stock into whatsoever. If the placement history has been strong, you'll be fine.

One obvious caveat to this. Did the school lose some faculty recently? If they lost a few big names to retirement or school switching and never replaced them, this could be the starting signal that things are going downhill for the program. However if the faculty has remained relatively stable over the past 5-8 years, then the fact that last year two students didn't get TT positions is a blip, not a trend, and should be viewed as such.
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by XanthusARES View Post
    I cannot speak for accounting, but if the school has placed well in the past but had a significantly down year, then it's likely that is exactly what it was, a down year. There are a lot of reasons that people may chose to not take a TT position, and you can't know if the students didn't get any offers or if they turned down offers. I wouldn't put any stock into whatsoever. If the placement history has been strong, you'll be fine.

One obvious caveat to this. Did the school lose some faculty recently? If they lost a few big names to retirement or school switching and never replaced them, this could be the starting signal that things are going downhill for the program. However if the faculty has remained relatively stable over the past 5-8 years, then the fact that last year two students didn't get TT positions is a blip, not a trend, and should be viewed as such.
    Well said, Xanthus.

I can't think of what school this is, but you can pm me if you want. Placements are the best summary statistic for a PhD program, but they are also quite noisy. Faculty reputations are pretty sticky, so if they placed well in the past they can place well again. This actually a fine question to (carefully) ask if you get an interview.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

I applied widely and got offers (and rejections) from schools I wasn't expecting.

In the end I chose a school that was not originally in my top 3. But after talking to the professors and realizing what they were doing and what I wanted to do really aligned, it made since.

I am really happy with my decision now.

As far as research goes: I think most people have an idea of what they want to research (or I should rephrase: what they think they want to research), but once you are in the program, and you are reading 20 articles a week and talking to professors, your ideas may change. So I think it's better to see who you get along with best, who do you feel will be able to guide you and help you succeed, and choose in that way. Yes, generally speaking it is good if they are interested in the same or complementary areas as you, but that is the just the bare minimum. I'd rather work with someone who has my best interests in mind and can mentor me even if they aren't a complete expert on my topic than an expert who is too busy to care about my work.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Hey guys. Does anyone know the percentage of accounting programs which have campus interviews before they admit students? My situation is really unique because of my visa status. Would it necessarily hurt me if I ask for an alternative interview when a school offers a campus interview?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Xixixixixixi View Post
    Hey guys. Does anyone know the percentage of accounting programs which have campus interviews before they admit students? My situation is really unique because of my visa status. Would it necessarily hurt me if I ask for an alternative interview when a school offers a campus interview?
    Hi! Not sure what the percentage is, but I know a couple of people who travel to the U.S. on visitor visa for campus visits, so I guess visa status shouldn't be a problem even if you currently reside outside of the U.S.?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Xixixixixixi View Post
    Most do campus interviews, but they usually substitute Skype interviews for internationals. It is a missed opportunity for you, but shouldn't have a strong effect on admissions

Good post? Yes | No

I was waitlisted at a top 10 school last year and reapplying again this year.. Was wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether last yearís waitlist spot is a strong signal for getting into one of the final rounds this year.

Also, I wonder if it makes sense to try and reach out o PoI or the person who interviewed me last year and express my strong interest within the context of almost getting in last year.. would that be constructive or counterproductive?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ids1 View Post
    I was waitlisted at a top 10 school last year and reapplying again this year.. Was wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether last year’s waitlist spot is a strong signal for getting into one of the final rounds this year.

Also, I wonder if it makes sense to try and reach out o PoI or the person who interviewed me last year and express my strong interest within the context of almost getting in last year.. would that be constructive or counterproductive?
    Being waitlisted last year is a good sign. Did you have any offers that you turned down last year?

I think it makes sense to reach out to the professor given you have a bit of a relationship.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    Being waitlisted last year is a good sign. Did you have any offers that you turned down last year?

I think it makes sense to reach out to the professor given you have a bit of a relationship.
    Didnít have any offers.. aimed high and i assume that being an older applicant was quite a hurdle in the end.. widened my range a bit this year.. i am a bit apprehensive though.. I think being an older applicant would represent a challenge in the job market if and when i am done with the PhD.. so donít really want to compound it by going into a lower tiered program.. I think I have a pretty solid profile which would have played out well had I applied years ago..

The program in question, I have someone on the faculty who is trying to emphasize my profile internally but he is not involved in admissions unfortunately..

Would love to pick your brain some more via DM as I have followed your posts last year and have a lot of respect for your insights..

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ids1 View Post
    Didn’t have any offers.. aimed high and i assume that being an older applicant was quite a hurdle in the end.. widened my range a bit this year.. i am a bit apprehensive though.. I think being an older applicant would represent a challenge in the job market if and when i am done with the PhD.. so don’t really want to compound it by going into a lower tiered program.. I think I have a pretty solid profile which would have played out well had I applied years ago..

The program in question, I have someone on the faculty who is trying to emphasize my profile internally but he is not involved in admissions unfortunately..

Would love to pick your brain some more via DM as I have followed your posts last year and have a lot of respect for your insights..
    Feel free to send a message.

Having a professor on the inside definitely helps.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information