Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Just saw a Columbia Business Finance interview post on GC...Has anyone else heard back from the program?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by js18 View Post
    Just saw a Columbia Business Finance interview post on GC...Has anyone else heard back from the program?
    I applied and have not heard back. Could be bad news. I read that Columbia was doing rolling interviews for marketing, but I don't know about finance. Just have to sit tight and hope for the best.

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by hngu178 View Post
    I got phone call from One of the best Marketing-Quant professor in the world yesterday. He urged me to accept his offer. I am sorry I cannot tell his name and the program because of his very strong reputation, any one can know him. What should I do, go for a professor I like or waiting for another offers?
    Should I flip a coin and expect the coin decide my future? LOL
    If the prof really is one of the best in the world, i.e. publishes in top journals on a regular basis and is well known around the field, then I don't see any value in waiting. Even if the school is not the highest ranked program on your list, your relationship with your advisor and the work that comes out of that relationship is almost as important as ranking. If the prof is a top prof then you won't have a problem being placed well, assuming you get some stuff out while you're in the program.
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

Good post? Yes | No

@hngu178: XanthusARES is true. You got a very good chance of being trained well to do research and placed in a good program. Congratz!

Good post? Yes | No

Does anyone have experience with a fairly early deadline to accept an offer (it's less that the school gave an exceptionally short timeline and more that they made a very early offer)? More specifically, can a deadline on an offer ever be extended? Is there harm in asking? It seemed that they might extend it if I had, say, another offer I were considering, but I just interviewed somewhere promising that probably won't turn around and make an offer fast enough to be within the other school's deadline. So, I'd be asking to extend for hypothetical offers. I don't want to lose this offer because it's very good in a lot of ways; at the same time, I have enough reservations about it to be comfortable committing at a point where things have only just begun to be in full swing.

Trying to make mom and pop proud hngu178's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by XanthusARES View Post
    If the prof really is one of the best in the world, i.e. publishes in top journals on a regular basis and is well known around the field, then I don't see any value in waiting. Even if the school is not the highest ranked program on your list, your relationship with your advisor and the work that comes out of that relationship is almost as important as ranking. If the prof is a top prof then you won't have a problem being placed well, assuming you get some stuff out while you're in the program.
    Thanks for your comments. I had known myself where I want to go before I read your response, but your words support for my decision strongly. The program is great for me and the professor who accepted to mentor me 5 years is the best person I can reach at this time. He is one of the most powerful scholars in the field recently. My Application process was finished

Good post? Yes | No

XanthusARES Thanks for your comments. My application process was finished, I know where I must go. If I had offers from HBS, I would definitely turn down. The program is great for me, and my mentor is the best person I can get in touch at this time.
    Last edited by hngu178; 02-12-2018 at 11:37 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Hey Marketing applicants,
    Florida sent out rejection email today. I had an interview with Iowa. If you do not hear from the school this week, you may be in the wait list. The next cycle will be next week. Iowa can have offer this week if it finds the best candidate. If not, you need to wait 2 or 3 weeks more, according to the program director.

Good post? Yes | No

The Columbia post might be fake.. in the past years they have called people for interviews later in the cycle.. I also heard that they are only now starting to look at applications this week

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ids1 View Post
    The Columbia post might be fake.. in the past years they have called people for interviews later in the cycle.. I also heard that they are only now starting to look at applications this week
    It could be a hoax. Ted23 discovered that a Northwestern admit on Grad Cafe was fake (he emailed the department, which said that they hadn't made decisions yet). Usually, you see multiple posts at the same time when its real (e.g. Michigan Interviews, Northwestern Interviews, Chicago Decisions). So you can be somewhat skeptical.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information