Urch Forums

2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

tm_associate

Welcome to the 2018 Ph.D. in business concentrations' sweat thread! This is a thread for applicants (hopefully!) starting their PhD program in 2018! Use this is vent, discuss any frustrations, or random musings that you would like others to weigh in on! Best of luck to this years applicants!

For those of you just starting to browse this website, check out this thread for information that has been helpful in the past.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much for starting this thread.

I am in the process of writing my SOP in preparation for my application package and one of the questions I have is how important is it to elaborate the data collection and study methodology in terms of a timeline to convey a well thought out intent.

And if that is important, then it will be helpful if veterans can provide some inputs as to how current students gather data if their interests pertain to Industrial Management strategies?

Thank you very much for starting this thread.

I am in the process of writing my SOP in preparation for my application package and one of the questions I have is how important is it to elaborate the data collection and study methodology in terms of a timeline to convey a well thought out intent.

And if that is important, then it will be helpful if veterans can provide some inputs as to how current students gather data if their interests pertain to Industrial Management strategies?

Hi PhDAspirant,

Thanks for being the first to post on the thread for the current application cycle. Based on your comment, I am guessing that you have an ongoing data collection project? My thoughts for your SOP is that it is not the place to be expanding on these types of details. the focus of the SOP is to communicate why you believe you are a good fit for the program, opposed to using the space to elaborate on a data collection. I highly doubt any program expects you to come in being an expert on data collection of study methodology. If you want to mention it, I would keep it broad and brief, simply mentioning that you have some experience with research designs and data collection (you can be more specific if it's lab, field, experimental scenarios, etc.).

​Hope that helps!

This process is tiring. Why - why isn't there some kind of consolidation between faculties? With Law school there is LSAC - put in your information once, and send it away to multiple schools.. One school wants the transcripts in color, another in grey-scale, with the backs, without, different size limitations. Adding each course I took manually - for many schools..

This is a silly inefficient grind.

Rant over.

This process is tiring. Why - why isn't there some kind of consolidation between faculties? With Law school there is LSAC - put in your information once, and send it away to multiple schools.. One school wants the transcripts in color, another in grey-scale, with the backs, without, different size limitations. Adding each course I took manually - for many schools..

This is a silly inefficient grind.

Rant over.

Barriers to entry. It's how business schools keep supply low and salaries high. You will be grateful later.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Urch veterans,

I need a clarification on the contents of the "resume" that is asked for in almost every PhD application. While I understand the difference between a CV and resume, I wanted to understand if the AdComs look for the professional experience or academic aspects or both in the "resume"?

Dear Urch veterans,

I need a clarification on the contents of the "resume" that is asked for in almost every PhD application. While I understand the difference between a CV and resume, I wanted to understand if the AdComs look for the professional experience or academic aspects or both in the "resume"?

Put both on there but highlight the academic stuff first and give more space to it.

If you look at professors resumes their professional experience is almost always after academic info and academic positions. They usually just list a job and years, unlike A professional resume that has bullet points with a few highlights and action words for each position. A brief research statement isn't uncommon on younger professors CVs.

• 3 weeks later...
I have never heard of a study plan. It seems strange that they would ask for one without providing you with specifics.

All the more so because the schools asking for these have a text box and not a doc upload facility so can't upload charts or purpose document.

Will wait for a few more insights here.

-TPA

Hi guys,

I am really having trouble fitting everything I want to say to a 1,000 word frame.

Three research assistanships, each taught me something relevant to my research interests, An MA thesis, a personal anecdote relating to my research and how I got interested in it, my actual specific research interests and school/scholar fit..

How is this done? Everything seems relevant, and I have ~1,400 words..

Any tips? :)

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I am really having trouble fitting everything I want to say to a 1,000 word frame.

Three research assistanships, each taught me something relevant to my research interests, An MA thesis, a personal anecdote relating to my research and how I got interested in it, my actual specific research interests and school/scholar fit..

How is this done? Everything seems relevant, and I have ~1,400 words..

Any tips? :)

Thanks!

You need to demonstrate how it is all tied together. Otherwise you risk being seen as too spread out. What is the common theme?? The theme is what you write about and your RA's, thesis and interests are your supporting evidence of past accomplishments and why you have the skills to become a productive researcher in the future.

Hi guys,

What strategy said is really good. Try to find a common theme and build off of that. I'm going to advise you to completely cut the personal anecdote section of why you are interested in research. Or rather cut it down to a sentence or two if you have to include it. What would be better is if you could combine it with a specific previous research experience. Something like, "I was interested in academic research while at (undergrad school name), so I started working with Professor 6928 on a project. During this experience I got hands on experience with data collection and designed one of the experiments. That research is ongoing and we have submitted it to Journal of Awesome Awesomeness, where we received a revise and resubmit."

That gives the facts that you are interested in research, provides exactly what you did, shows future potential, and shows that you understand the research process to a certain degree. On top of that it's only ~60 words. You can add to this by talking specifically about the research and discussing your specific contributions to the paper. 60 words can easily become 150, which is a reasonable amount of space for someone like you who has 3 RA's (450), an MA thesis (~250) and School/scholar fit (~300).

That's my advice and from someone who has been on the other side of the table, that is what I think is most impressive.

...You can add to this by talking specifically about the research and discussing your specific contributions to the paper. 60 words can easily become 150, which is a reasonable amount of space for someone like you who has 3 RA's (450), an MA thesis (~250) and School/scholar fit (~300).

That's my advice and from someone who has been on the other side of the table, that is what I think is most impressive.

And talk about my plans and actual research interests and proposal ;)

And talk about my plans and actual research interests and proposal ;)

I would include your plans and research interest in with previous experience. For example, "I worked on a project looking at sales from Holiday marketing as it relates to overall firm performance. I created a model to better understand the impact of seasonality on purchase decision using MCMC. Moving forward, I'm interested in continuing this work and looking at seasonality in terms of price promotions and a PhD from University X will provide me with the necessary tools to do so." That's about 70 words and still leaves you with a ton of space.

Try to connect and combine. Everything should point to why school X and why area Y.

• 4 weeks later...

1st deadline coming up :dejected:

It seems deserted here compared to last year.. Maybe they will be forced to accept me as there are no contenders *evil laugh*

Anyway, I heard a former dean say that the application process to the PhD was one of the worst periods of her life. So hang in there, baby :)

Things will pick up I'm sure. I did hear that applications were down last year and expected to be down again this year. So there may just be less people applying.

I bet the US especially will see a decrease in applications. A decrease in US students because of the strong economy and a tax bill that is going through congress right now that would make grad students pay much more in taxes and not be able to deduct interest on student loans. Across all college programs , the US saw a decrease in international students for the first time in decades. I've heard the growing strength of international schools as well as the anti-immigrant sentimant by the current administration as the reasons why. As a matter of fact an increasing number of US students are applying to international universities.

Canadian universities post large gains in international applications