Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Forum Associate

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Welcome to the 2018 Ph.D. in business concentrations' sweat thread! This is a thread for applicants (hopefully!) starting their PhD program in 2018! Use this is vent, discuss any frustrations, or random musings that you would like others to weigh in on! Best of luck to this years applicants!

For those of you just starting to browse this website, check out this thread for information that has been helpful in the past.

Grasp. Analyze. Repeat

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2018 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

Thank you very much for starting this thread.

I am in the process of writing my SOP in preparation for my application package and one of the questions I have is how important is it to elaborate the data collection and study methodology in terms of a timeline to convey a well thought out intent.

And if that is important, then it will be helpful if veterans can provide some inputs as to how current students gather data if their interests pertain to Industrial Management strategies?
    Keep Cool and Urch On

Forum Associate

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhDAspirant View Post
    Thank you very much for starting this thread.

I am in the process of writing my SOP in preparation for my application package and one of the questions I have is how important is it to elaborate the data collection and study methodology in terms of a timeline to convey a well thought out intent.

And if that is important, then it will be helpful if veterans can provide some inputs as to how current students gather data if their interests pertain to Industrial Management strategies?
    Hi PhDAspirant,

Thanks for being the first to post on the thread for the current application cycle. Based on your comment, I am guessing that you have an ongoing data collection project? My thoughts for your SOP is that it is not the place to be expanding on these types of details. the focus of the SOP is to communicate why you believe you are a good fit for the program, opposed to using the space to elaborate on a data collection. I highly doubt any program expects you to come in being an expert on data collection of study methodology. If you want to mention it, I would keep it broad and brief, simply mentioning that you have some experience with research designs and data collection (you can be more specific if it's lab, field, experimental scenarios, etc.).

​Hope that helps!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

This process is tiring. Why - why isn't there some kind of consolidation between faculties? With Law school there is LSAC - put in your information once, and send it away to multiple schools.. One school wants the transcripts in color, another in grey-scale, with the backs, without, different size limitations. Adding each course I took manually - for many schools..

This is a silly inefficient grind.

Rant over.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Granps View Post
    This process is tiring. Why - why isn't there some kind of consolidation between faculties? With Law school there is LSAC - put in your information once, and send it away to multiple schools.. One school wants the transcripts in color, another in grey-scale, with the backs, without, different size limitations. Adding each course I took manually - for many schools..

This is a silly inefficient grind.

Rant over.
    Barriers to entry. It's how business schools keep supply low and salaries high. You will be grateful later.

Grasp. Analyze. Repeat

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tm_associate View Post
    ​Hope that helps!
    It sure does, thanks!!
    Keep Cool and Urch On

Grasp. Analyze. Repeat

Good post? Yes | No

Dear Urch veterans,

I need a clarification on the contents of the "resume" that is asked for in almost every PhD application. While I understand the difference between a CV and resume, I wanted to understand if the AdComs look for the professional experience or academic aspects or both in the "resume"?
    Keep Cool and Urch On

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhDAspirant View Post
    Dear Urch veterans,

I need a clarification on the contents of the "resume" that is asked for in almost every PhD application. While I understand the difference between a CV and resume, I wanted to understand if the AdComs look for the professional experience or academic aspects or both in the "resume"?
    Put both on there but highlight the academic stuff first and give more space to it.

If you look at professors resumes their professional experience is almost always after academic info and academic positions. They usually just list a job and years, unlike A professional resume that has bullet points with a few highlights and action words for each position. A brief research statement isn't uncommon on younger professors CVs.

Grasp. Analyze. Repeat

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks YaS!
    Keep Cool and Urch On

Thread Information