Urch Forums

PhD Marketing (Quant) profile evaluation

hngu178

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GMAT 720 Q50, V38.

Undegrad GPA: South East Asia, Electronics Engineering, 7.5/10 ( top 7 in the department)

Graduate GPA: Master in Statistics, GPA: 3.7 ( most A in all courses), and current enrolled on First year PhD course work in Economics

Research Experience: 2 year undergrad, 3 year graduate+ Thesis

Teaching Experience: GRE teacher, undergrad Statistics in US

Work Experience: 5 year but not related to Marketing

Concentration Applying to: Quantitative (Modeling Analytics) or Strategy Marketing

Number of programs planned to apply to: 12

Dream Schools: U of Florida, U of Wisconsin-Madison, U of Indiana, U of Pitsburgh, Arizona State, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas A&M+Austin

other School: Houston, Rice, Missouri, Rochester, Rutger, Connecticut, Purdue, Michigan State.

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD? becoming Professor in Marketing, clear-cut goal of research

Questions or concerns you have about your profile? is my profile good enough to apply for my dream schools listed

Any additional specific questions you may have:

Please comments and evaluate my chance to get into top 50 or 60 PhD program in Marketing. I will not apply for top 20 ( Ivy's, Chicago, Newyork...)

thank you very much!!

Edited by tm_associate

• 2 weeks later...

Your profile seems very strong. I'm from Houston, which is not among your dream schools, but at least here I think you would be considered a strong applicant.

However, when you say you're enrolled in PhD courses, does that mean you are already a PhD student in Economics? Or you're doing PhD courses even if you are not a PhD student yet? If you are already a PhD student, might be hard to explain why you're applying to Marketing.

I just started at Houston, so my experience is still limited.

But I think I can tell that Bauer is a great school for Quantitative Marketing PhD. As expected, the experience of doing a PhD is hard, everyone is struggling with something. But people care about you and about your success.

Quant professors are really amazing. You mentioned Dr. Rex Du. He is extremely smart, and extremely hard-working. Every week we have people from other universities presenting their research, and his insights are awesome. He talks very little, but with one sentence he changes completely your perceptions about the presentation.

Clearly, Houston has plans to become recognized as one of the top universities for Marketing research and is working hard for that. As you said, placement is strong, but we also know we can do much better. So, it's a great school, aiming to be even greater.

It sounds great, I remove North & South Carolina from my list. Houston is now my dream school too!

What is the median and range of GMAT scores of admitted students in Houston?

Does anyone here know about Geogia State? Kumar is one of the most productive person ever in Marketing, but I am not sure whether he can move to another Schools. Last year, it placed one person to Texas A&M.

Your profile looks good for the schools you are targeting. Honestly there isn't a lot to say, it looks like you are focused well and aren't shooting too high. I think that you will have a good shot at getting in somewhere this fall. I think that Brazilian did a great job at giving some recs.

I know nothing about Georgia State. Good luck!

Well, of course a better score is expected to improve your chance. A GMAT of 750 would probably make your GMAT stand out compared to other applicants, it would definitely be one of your strengths in application.

But you have to be careful about that. Some of the reasons:

- GMAT is far from being the only thing in your application. It wouldn't be wise to devote a lot of time to GMAT, and then write bad SoP.

- 720 is already a very good score, for many schools it is probably enough to make them worry about other things in your application.

- It's not only the total GMAT score that matters. If you improve your Quant score from 50 to 51, I don't think it would make any difference, for example.

- You should be very confident that you're able to get that 740-750 score. That's not easy.

- You said you're not aiming the top 20 schools.

So, my opinion is that taking the GMAT again would only make sense if you have already done the other stuff you need to do, and you're very sure that you can improve your score (keeping the Quant score at the 50-51 level, and improving the Verbal score a few points).

About GPA. Yeah, it could be considered a weakness, but I don't think you should worry about things you can't change. Try to show strength where you can. My GPA was similar to yours.