Urch Forums

What GMAT score should I aim for? Phd Finance applicant

accountingphd

Depends on the school you want to get into. Some say 700 is the magic number as a minimum for PhD's, but you can see on this board a lot of people got in with less than that. For Finance the quant score will matter more than verbal. If you know what target schools and how strong the rest of your application is (recs/GPA/research exp), that will help to define what score you need.

As high as possible.

There is obviously a tradeoff between hours spent prepping for the GMAT vs. hours spent reading papers, reviewing faculty at schools of interest, the other things in your life, etc. The return on time on the GMAT is high.

Top programs have averages above 750 with either a 50 or 51 (better) basically required on quant. 700-730 is good for most programs that place decently into research schools.

I wouldn't advise to "aim" for a number below 700 in any situation, but if you are having trouble with the test and manage a 670, then you can find a way to work with it.

As high as possible.

There is obviously a tradeoff between hours spent prepping for the GMAT vs. hours spent reading papers, reviewing faculty at schools of interest, the other things in your life, etc. The return on time on the GMAT is high.

Top programs have averages above 750 with either a 50 or 51 (better) basically required on quant. 700-730 is good for most programs that place decently into research schools.

I wouldn't advise to "aim" for a number below 700 in any situation, but if you are having trouble with the test and manage a 670, then you can find a way to work with it.

I'm not an expert here but as I read a lot suggestions by past applicants and browse schools' websites, I think what YaSvoboden said is really accountable.

To YaSvoboden: And I'm pretty awkward because I get a 740 (Q49). I actually had another 650 test (Q51 and low Verbal) prior to this 740 on my report. What's your opinion on this? Do you think it's better for me to retake the exam?

I'm not an expert here but as I read a lot suggestions by past applicants and browse schools' websites, I think what YaSvoboden said is really accountable.

To YaSvoboden: And I'm pretty awkward because I get a 740 (Q49). I actually had another 650 test (Q51 and low Verbal) prior to this 740 on my report. What's your opinion on this? Do you think it's better for me to retake the exam?

I would say that there is an actual benefit to getting your quant score up to 50 or 51 and not reducing total score, but it isn't worth a ton of time and energy. So, if you think that the 49 was on the low end of what you can do and you will likely improve without dropping the verbal score, then it is worth refreshing some of the concepts and sitting for the test again.

That said, 740 is going to pass whatever screening process based on the GMAT basically anywhere. The potential benefit isn't huge, so don't worry about it if you just want to use that score.

I would say that there is an actual benefit to getting your quant score up to 50 or 51 and not reducing total score, but it isn't worth a ton of time and energy. So, if you think that the 49 was on the low end of what you can do and you will likely improve without dropping the verbal score, then it is worth refreshing some of the concepts and sitting for the test again.

That said, 740 is going to pass whatever screening process based on the GMAT basically anywhere. The potential benefit isn't huge, so don't worry about it if you just want to use that score.

Huge Thanks! This is really helpful.