Urch Forums

How much does writing samples help in Accounting application?

Xixixixixixi

Hi guys.I'm applying for Accounting programs.

I have went down the BYU list of probably 100 schools. I didn't notice any school require a writing sample. Some schools (not a large percentage though) mentioned writing samples as an optional material. Others don't even mention it. Therefore, I wonder how much does writing samples matter? Have any past successful applicants in this forum submitted a writing sample in this forum?

Thanks a lot.

From my experience, in the beginning writing samples are rarely required and often not even mentioned. However, during the actual application, it's very common to have the opportunity of sending a sample (and then further information may be provided about that, like a limit of pages).

I don't remember if I attached a writing sample in all my applications, but I think I did.

I wish I could provide more insight =D. As Brazilian mentioned, writing samples are rarely required (I believe one of 15 of my applications required one). For the one I did submit, I thought my sample was rather weak (unplanned time/work conflict!). I did interview at that school; no reference was made whatsoever to the writing sample. Maybe someone on the application review side can provide more insight.

Hi guys.I'm applying for Accounting programs.

I have went down the BYU list of probably 100 schools. I didn't notice any school require a writing sample. Some schools (not a large percentage though) mentioned writing samples as an optional material. Others don't even mention it. Therefore, I wonder how much does writing samples matter? Have any past successful applicants in this forum submitted a writing sample in this forum?

Thanks a lot.

• 1 month later...
I remember submitting a writing sample to one school. I did a replication of a published paper, so I used that and did get admitted to that school. In general, accounting applicants aren't expected to have done any serious research before the program, so there isn't a lot to gain out of a writing sample on the part of schools. If a student does have something meaningful it should be on their CV.

Hi Brazilian PhD, do you mean that if i dont upload a writing sample in the online application, i might get another chance to send it after submitting the online application?

In most cases, you are able to upload a writing sample with your online application, and that's it. You're not required to (it´s optional), and you only do that through the online application.

But there are exceptions to the rule. Sometimes you can get some unexpected additional instructions to follow after submitting your online application. I was asked to submit a few things after the online application for a few schools.