Urch Forums

PhD Marketing (Quant track) profile evaluation

cactusecon

Test score: GMAT 750 Q50 V41

Undergrad GPA: 3.6 Economics (several rigorous courses with A and A-, but some with B and B+. I did lots of jobs and internship during my undergrad, which helped me build experience to select marketing but did affect my grades in courses)

Graduate GPA: 3.5 (with A- in quant/strategy courses, but also some Bs and B+ in other courses)

Research experience: some class research projects in college (not publishable but presented in school conference) and some research assistantship for a professor with research relevant not too complicated responsibilities.

Teaching experience: none

Work experience: 3-4 internships in marketing and marketing research, mainly marketing and research for managerial purposes

Concentration applying to: Quant or Strategy Marketing (Digital Marketing, Customer Satisfaction, and E-commerce)

Number of programs to apply: 15 (+/- 3) programs

Interested in: Washington St Louis, Wisconsin-Madison, Houston, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Penn State, Temple, UTDallas, UC Berkeley, Rice, Drexel and some other schools I am still reading about.

Questions:

Could you let me know if my profile is good for Top 20 and Top 50? Which range should I aim for? Which range can be considered safe for my profile? (as Quant candidates concentrated in top schools, I seriously not consider applying to any schools ranking below 90 in the UTD list)

Should I add/reduce schools from the list above (as I am thinking that my schools are quite close to each other in terms of ranking - I just chose schools based on faculty research and haven't decided on Dream, Reach and Safe yet)

I haven't contacted any professors at the schools above. Do you think that I should contact them now before submission?

My weakness is in research experience. How should I improve it in my applications?

Thank you so much!

I think you have a good list for your profile. It seems to be spread across the range of schools. I wouldn't really change much about it if you have found faculty at each of those schools then you'll be fine. I think that you have a solid T30 profile. Nothing screams T10, but most of your schools are outside of the T10. Honestly I think you did a good job at calibrating your list to your skills.

Any school in the T75 range is likely a safer school for you, but keep in mind that even at these schools acceptance rates are low. So don't apply to them just assuming you'll get in. Also don't apply to any schools you wouldn't actually go to.

The only thing that would help your application is further research experience, which is unlikely at this point in the process. Just focus your time and effort on your applications. Good luck.

Also a quick heads up, I'm pretty sure Rice dropped their PhD program.

I think you have a good list for your profile. It seems to be spread across the range of schools. I wouldn't really change much about it if you have found faculty at each of those schools then you'll be fine. I think that you have a solid T30 profile. Nothing screams T10, but most of your schools are outside of the T10. Honestly I think you did a good job at calibrating your list to your skills.

Any school in the T75 range is likely a safer school for you, but keep in mind that even at these schools acceptance rates are low. So don't apply to them just assuming you'll get in. Also don't apply to any schools you wouldn't actually go to.

The only thing that would help your application is further research experience, which is unlikely at this point in the process. Just focus your time and effort on your applications. Good luck.

Also a quick heads up, I'm pretty sure Rice dropped their PhD program.

@XanthusARES: Thank you, I will keep working on adding some more schools and also selecting safe schools carefully.

Also, you are right about Rice. I checked the program earlier this year and saw that they may open to recruiting students. However, I recently checked Rice again and saw that they are not accepting Marketing students this year.