Urch Forums

Profile evaluation for Accounting PHD Fall 2018

wangjsuccess

Profile evaluation for Accounting PHD Fall 2018

Seeking advice on a proper range of schools for me. Thank you for reviewing my profile.

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE):

GMAT 720

TOEFL 105

Undegrad GPA: Accounting major in a university in China, 82/100

Graduate GPA: Master of Applied Psychology at Top2 University in China, GPA:B+(85-89/100)

LOR: 1st, accounting professor, from my undergraduate study, doesn’t involve much in the academic research. 2, Psychology professor from my graduate school. 3, Social science professor from my graduate school. I took some of his research oriented PHD courses in social science and higher statistics courses. I want to use his LOR to prove that I have very strong statistical and programming background.

Research Experience:

Master’s dissertation about organizational behaviors.

RA for the psychology professor about workplace stress and creativity research.

Some PHD research seminar courses in management, social science and psychology.

Some individual and group research projects about decision making and management.

Courses:

Maths and statistics: 2 Calculus course, 1 Linear Algebra, 1 probability theory and 1 statistics during undergraduate study.

Higher statistics, data analytics, some data science and programming courses in R and Python at Graduate school.

Work Experience: I have four years working experience as an accountant. My job included preparing the financial report and annual budget and general financial management such as internal control, management of fixed assets and internal audit.

Concentration Applying to: Behavioral/Experimental Accounting

I am interested in Behavioral/Experimental Accounting research, which draws not only on the accounting literature for both theory and methods, but also on the broader applied and social psychology literature. I think my background in psychology and accounting fits well in this research area.

Dream Schools:

Maybe......

University of Massachusetts Amherst

Emory University

Queens

I am not sure what range of schools I should target.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

1st, I don't have research experience in accounting. My research experience is all about psychology and management.

2nd, Combination of Accounting and Psychology is a little wield background. Is my educational background proper for the PHD accounting program?

3rd, Since I don't have educational experience in US, I don't think I can target high. But there are not too many behavioral accounting phd programs and it is very difficult to select school.

4, Seeking advice on a proper range of schools for me.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Having a degree in psych and some psych based research will serve you well in getting into a behavioral program. You also have decent math and a pretty good GMAT. I am not too familiar with the TOEFL, but I think your score might be a bit low. Don't worry about that if you can't retake it before applying now.

The biggest thing you could probably do is get a letter from an accounting academic that publishes well. However, I wouldn't force a relationship if these three people can speak to your abilities well.

I don't see a reason not to apply along the whole range of grad schools. There aren't that many behavioral programs in accounting, so you might as well choose 15 or so and apply to all of them.

I don't do behavioral stuff, but off the top of my head:

Cornell

Emory

Pitt

Texas

UIUC

Georgia State (or Tech, maybe both. I get these confused)

Indiana

Central Florida

U So. Cal.

U south Carolina

UW

UMass

Arizona State I think

I know there are more. Check the BYU rankings for more ideas. Accounting Rankings