Urch Forums

Academic CV for Non-Traditional Applicants

hk93

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding Academic CV for applicants coming from engineering backgrounds. Should I include my engineering research experience and if yes, how much should I go in depth about the research work? In addition, I have completed military training during my undergraduate. What would be an appropriate section to mention this?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
I would include the engineering research experience on the CV, but keep it brief. As for the military training, it probably depends on the situation and how intensive it was. If it was just some weekend training, I would skip it. But if you were in something like the National Guard, then I would definitely include it.

Engineering research experience = research experience + aptitude for quantitative projects

Military experience = leadership experience

Frame accordingly

You are not "non-traditional" - in my field you get a lot of people from different backgrounds, it is what makes strategy research so interesting. What you are doing is showing your unique experience that will make you standout beyond your GPA/GMAT scores.