Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Business PhD Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2018 Business PhD Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    I vividly remember last cycle when these types of questions were exchanged between Silvia, Brazilian and PobleNau (or something like that).
    Yeah, it's easy to remember my time here. People even got some data from thegradecafe, like I did last year. By the way, this is what I wrote last year, in anticipation of an increase in the number of interviews after the middle of January:

"From a total of 171 interviews:
    - 3 were in the month of December;
    - 2 were in January between 1st and 15th;
    - 52 were in January between 16th and 31st;
    - 99 were in February;
    - 11 were in March;
    - 4 were in April."

So, expecting to see some good news here soon. It's pretty exciting to be on this side too.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by bzholle View Post
    They were mostly general questions like why I want a PhD, what research I am interested in, and why I applied to Michigan State. They sent me a list ahead of time with additional info about the program and told me to have questions ready for them. It was very easy-going and comfortable. It was more of a mutual discussion, rather than an interview, to make sure the fit is correct.
    Thanks for the info. so it seems they already shortlisted the candidates. Do you have any idea how many people they shortlisted for the interview?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Current applicant who has not yet heard from any school (to my knowledge, only one of my schools has had any activity, based on Gradcafe's self-reported system) checking in to remind all of you that:

(1) A lot of people on this very forum last year didn't have their first interview until February. Things picked up a little in the back half of January, but if they don't for you, hang tough well into February. It can turn around!

(2) Some people who did not get an interview in the first round of notifications last year were not rejected, but rather wait-listed, so if you've seen a program to which you applied already making some moves, you might not be totally done there.

Good luck, and keep your stress low! If you applied, chances are you researched what it takes to get admitted and what programs would be a good fit for you. That doesn't guarantee admission, but it means you at least saw something in your own profile to feel like you had a shot to get in and a chance to succeed if admitted—so it's certainly possible that some department will see that, too!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Notification Type: Skype Interview
    Institution Name: Northwestern University (Kellogg School of Management)
    Concentration Applying to: Finance
    Date of Notification: 11/01/2018
    Type of Notification : Email
    Additional Comments: Interview scheduled for 18 or 19 January 2018.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ted23 View Post
    Notification Type: Skype Interview
    Institution Name: Northwestern University (Kellogg School of Management)
    Concentration Applying to: Finance
    Date of Notification: 11/01/2018
    Type of Notification : Email
    Additional Comments: Interview scheduled for 18 or 19 January 2018.
    Great news! Some time ago you were struggling with the GMAT and thinking about 2nd tier programs, when I suggested you to think about the GRE and aim higher. It seems at least I was right about aiming higher, since Kellogg is really amazing.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianPhD View Post
    Great news! Some time ago you were struggling with the GMAT and thinking about 2nd tier programs, when I suggested you to think about the GRE and aim higher. It seems at least I was right about aiming higher, since Kellogg is really amazing.
    Thanks! I feel that my other parts of the application (recommendation letters, essays, etc) overcame my test scores which I think were decent enough to get a look in. I applied for both second tier and top schools so I am hoping that I get a few more interviews in addition to this one. Do you know how many people make it to the interview round? Or is the cull from interview to offer the bigger leap?

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks! I feel that my other parts of the application (recommendation letters, essays, etc) overcame my test scores which I think were decent enough to get a look in. I applied for both second tier and top schools so I am hoping that I get a few more interviews in addition to this one. Do you know how many people make it to the interview round? Or is the cull from interview to offer the bigger leap?
    TL;DR, - My guess: about 5% of total applicants get offers, and about 50% of the applicants who get an interview will get offers.

I have no direct experience, so it's only a general guess based on what I've heard or read somewhere. I'd say that approximately 90% of applicants get rejected without the opportunity for an interview. From the remaining 10%, 40%-80% will get offers (sometimes without an interview) and the range is wide depending on the school. Some of those applicants who got offers will not accept them (mostly because they got better ones from other schools), data from Duke shows that only about 50% of those who are admitted actually become matriculated.

For a Kellogg's Finance PhD, using the data they have at its website from 2013, that would mean that from approximately 250 applicants, 225 would be rejected without an interview. From the remaining 25, almost all would be interviewed, about 10 would have an offer, and 5 would enroll.

So, getting an interview is a huge leap, but of course it doesn't mean a sure thing yet.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianPhD View Post
    TL;DR, - My guess: about 5% of total applicants get offers, and about 50% of the applicants who get an interview will get offers.

I have no direct experience, so it's only a general guess based on what I've heard or read somewhere. I'd say that approximately 90% of applicants get rejected without the opportunity for an interview. From the remaining 10%, 40%-80% will get offers (sometimes without an interview) and the range is wide depending on the school. Some of those applicants who got offers will not accept them (mostly because they got better ones from other schools), data from Duke shows that only about 50% of those who are admitted actually become matriculated.

For a Kellogg's Finance PhD, using the data they have at its website from 2013, that would mean that from approximately 250 applicants, 225 would be rejected without an interview. From the remaining 25, almost all would be interviewed, about 10 would have an offer, and 5 would enroll.

So, getting an interview is a huge leap, but of course it doesn't mean a sure thing yet.
    This seems about right. Finance is a bit tougher than other disciplines, partially because there are more applicants. I doubt Kellogg interviews 25 people for finance. I would guess that they interview more like 10 and the admit rate is 2-3%.

I know a few years ago in accounting they interviewed 8 and all were admitted.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    This seems about right. Finance is a bit tougher than other disciplines, partially because there are more applicants. I doubt Kellogg interviews 25 people for finance. I would guess that they interview more like 10 and the admit rate is 2-3%.

I know a few years ago in accounting they interviewed 8 and all were admitted.
    I assume you mean 2-3% of the total applicants?

Good post? Yes | No

I assume you mean 2-3% of the total applicants?
    Yeah. According to Kellogg's data for 2013, there were 253 applicants for Finance PhD and 5 enrolled (so, 2%). I guess they extended offers to more than 5 applicants and a few didn't accept, but Kellogg did not provide that number.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information