Urch Forums

2018 Business PhD Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

tm_associate

[h=2]To facilitate information sharing on the forum, please feel free to share as much information as you feel comfortable sharing. The following format has worked well in prior years:[/h]

Notification Type
(e.g., skype interview, flyout interview, waitlisted, accepted, rejected):

Institution Name:

Concentration Applying to
(e.g., strategic management, finance, accounting, org behavior, marketing, etc.):

Date of Notification:

Type of Notification
(e.g., email, phone, snail mail)
:

Additional Comments:

The acceptance season is just beginning, so don't despair! If you are fortunate enough to get a callback (interview or acceptance) from one of your top schools, congrats! If not, then remember ... several universities are probably pursuing the same candidates. By the time most of them make their decision, the programs that they decided not to go to are likely to have to go down the waitlist. Students at the top of their waitlists may have already accepted offers at other programs! Remember, it does't matter if you were their top pick or not! If you got in the program (for whatever reason), you're in!

Best of luck

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notification Type: Skype Interview

Institution Name: University of Wisconsin

Concentration: Management and Human Resources (Strategy)

Date of Notification: Dec 19, 2017

Type of Notification: Emailed

Additional Comments: interview scheduled on Jan 8, 2018

Institution Name: University of Arizona

Concentration: Management and Organization (Macro/Strategy)

Date of Notification: Dec 29, 2017

Type of Notification: Emailed

Additional Comments: interview scheduled on Jan 4, 2018

Edited by Econometrics

Institution Name: Wharton School of Business

Concentration: Operations, Information and Decisions

Date of Notification: Dec 21, 2017

Type of Notification: Email

Additional Comments: Interview scheduled on Jan 2, 2018

Prospective applicant here. Congrats on getting the interview, and quite early as well. Good luck and would you mind sharing your experience afterwards?

Notification Type: Skype interview

Institution Name: Michigan State

Concentration Applying to: Marketing

Date of Notification: January 3, 2018

Additional Comments: Will schedule sometime in the next few weeks

Notification Type: Skype interview

Institution Name: Michigan State

Concentration Applying to: Marketing

Date of Notification: January 3, 2018

Additional Comments: Will schedule sometime in the next few weeks

Congrats! CB or Quant?

I had two interviews yesterday with multiple professors on the admission committee. They were supposed to be Skype, but there were issues, so they turned into phone interviews.

Oh! That's pretty fast! Congrats. How did it go? Could you share the specific questions they asked?

Oh! That's pretty fast! Congrats. How did it go? Could you share the specific questions they asked?

They were mostly general questions like why I want a PhD, what research I am interested in, and why I applied to Michigan State. They sent me a list ahead of time with additional info about the program and told me to have questions ready for them. It was very easy-going and comfortable. It was more of a mutual discussion, rather than an interview, to make sure the fit is correct.

I vividly remember last cycle when these types of questions were exchanged between Silvia, Brazilian and PobleNau (or something like that).

Yeah, it's easy to remember my time here. People even got some data from thegradecafe, like I did last year. By the way, this is what I wrote last year, in anticipation of an increase in the number of interviews after the middle of January:

"From a total of 171 interviews:

- 3 were in the month of December;

- 2 were in January between 1st and 15th;

- 52 were in January between 16th and 31st;

- 99 were in February;

- 11 were in March;

- 4 were in April."

So, expecting to see some good news here soon. It's pretty exciting to be on this side too.

They were mostly general questions like why I want a PhD, what research I am interested in, and why I applied to Michigan State. They sent me a list ahead of time with additional info about the program and told me to have questions ready for them. It was very easy-going and comfortable. It was more of a mutual discussion, rather than an interview, to make sure the fit is correct.

Thanks for the info. so it seems they already shortlisted the candidates. Do you have any idea how many people they shortlisted for the interview?

Current applicant who has not yet heard from any school (to my knowledge, only one of my schools has had any activity, based on Gradcafe's self-reported system) checking in to remind all of you that:

(1) A lot of people on this very forum last year didn't have their first interview until February. Things picked up a little in the back half of January, but if they don't for you, hang tough well into February. It can turn around!

(2) Some people who did not get an interview in the first round of notifications last year were not rejected, but rather wait-listed, so if you've seen a program to which you applied already making some moves, you might not be totally done there.

Good luck, and keep your stress low! If you applied, chances are you researched what it takes to get admitted and what programs would be a good fit for you. That doesn't guarantee admission, but it means you at least saw something in your own profile to feel like you had a shot to get in and a chance to succeed if admitted—so it's certainly possible that some department will see that, too!

Institution Name: Northwestern University (Kellogg School of Management)

Concentration Applying to: Finance

Date of Notification: 11/01/2018

Type of Notification : Email

Additional Comments: Interview scheduled for 18 or 19 January 2018.

Institution Name: Northwestern University (Kellogg School of Management)

Concentration Applying to: Finance

Date of Notification: 11/01/2018

Type of Notification : Email

Additional Comments: Interview scheduled for 18 or 19 January 2018.

Great news! Some time ago you were struggling with the GMAT and thinking about 2nd tier programs, when I suggested you to think about the GRE and aim higher. It seems at least I was right about aiming higher, since Kellogg is really amazing.