Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Business PhD Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2018 Business PhD Interview/Admission/Rejection Results

Sponsored Ad:
    Notification Type: Skype Interview
    Institution Name: Northwestern University Kellogg
    Concentration Applying to: Marketing (CB)
    Date of Notification: 12/Jan/2018
    Type of Notification : Email
    Additional Comments: Interview scheduled for Jan 22/23.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by ted23 View Post
    Just wanted to ask your opinion on the percentage of interviewees who get an offer? I would assume the odds are better than 2-3%.
    Yeah, I wasn't too precise in that comment. 2-3% overall admission rate. Given an interview it is generally 50% or more. Most of the relevant information comes from transcripts, test scores, and letters.

Good post? Yes | No

So its perfectly acceptable to say no questions if you have no questions? It's not considered in a bad light if you don't have anything to ask?
    I don't think it's considered in a bad light, but I think it would be a wasted opportunity.

At least for me, that was a very good part of my interview, probably the best because the rest was pretty standard stuff. For me, it's not only the school that is interviewing me, but I'm also interviewing the school. It was a chance to understand more about the personality of potential advisors, what is their style when advising a PhD student, what kind of resources I could expect from the school to help with my research interests, and it was very interesting to see some questions that they were not prepared to answer.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianPhD View Post
    I don't think it's considered in a bad light, but I think it would be a wasted opportunity.

At least for me, that was a very good part of my interview, probably the best because the rest was pretty standard stuff. For me, it's not only the school that is interviewing me, but I'm also interviewing the school. It was a chance to understand more about the personality of potential advisors, what is their style when advising a PhD student, what kind of resources I could expect from the school to help with my research interests, and it was very interesting to see some questions that they were not prepared to answer.
    I see. Thanks!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Another question I have since I am preparing for an interview. When I filled out my application I had to answer a question like this:

"Are you applying for other post-graduate programs? If so, please give details."

I am assuming they will ask me which other schools I have applied to. Again I'd like to hear opinions on the best response to this question.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    I vividly remember last cycle when these types of questions were exchanged between Silvia, Brazilian and PobleNau (or something like that).
    Yeah, this is actually an exciting time for applicants because the hard work is done and now you just have to stay positive and wait for the results.
    In one year from now you will be stressed out and overwhelmed as a first year student thinkink back to this time when it was all calm and quiet.
    Good luck!

Good post? Yes | No

Another question I have since I am preparing for an interview. When I filled out my application I had to answer a question like this:

"Are you applying for other post-graduate programs? If so, please give details."

I am assuming they will ask me which other schools I have applied to. Again I'd like to hear opinions on the best response to this question.
    As far as I know, it's not common to ask for details about that during interviews. At least sometimes, they ask for details during the application so that schools can have a better idea about which schools are considered the main competitors from the perspective of applicants, or something like that.

But they can talk a little about that during the interview. My opinion is: just avoid weird answers or answers that are hard to explain.

Saying that you applied to a school that is completely different from the one interviewing you or that doesn't make sense according to what you've been telling them, for example. Let's say that you stated that you love empirical research, but then you say you applied to lots of schools that are much more focused on theoretical research. It would sound like you don't know what you are doing, what are your real research interests, or that you're lying.

But usually they don't care much about which other schools you're applying to.

However, if you got offers from other schools, they may be very interested in that. In this case, many professors will be willing to help you to compare between schools to help you to make the best decision regarding which offer you should accept. Of course professors will be biased, and they acknowledge that, but they try to be fair in their assessment of the offers you have.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianPhD View Post
    As far as I know, it's not common to ask for details about that during interviews. At least sometimes, they ask for details during the application so that schools can have a better idea about which schools are considered the main competitors from the perspective of applicants, or something like that.

But they can talk a little about that during the interview. My opinion is: just avoid weird answers or answers that are hard to explain.

Saying that you applied to a school that is completely different from the one interviewing you or that doesn't make sense according to what you've been telling them, for example. Let's say that you stated that you love empirical research, but then you say you applied to lots of schools that are much more focused on theoretical research. It would sound like you don't know what you are doing, what are your real research interests, or that you're lying.

But usually they don't care much about which other schools you're applying to.

However, if you got offers from other schools, they may be very interested in that. In this case, many professors will be willing to help you to compare between schools to help you to make the best decision regarding which offer you should accept. Of course professors will be biased, and they acknowledge that, but they try to be fair in their assessment of the offers you have.
    I see. This makes it almost looks like some schools already have an eye to accept you if they are interested in how you will choose between that school and other offers you get. In this case, the school I am interviewing with is my dream school so there are no circumstances that I would reject if they gave me an offer. It would be good for me to mention this in the interview?

Grasp. Analyze. Repeat

Good post? Yes | No

Pleased to post on this thread.

Notification Type: Online interview
    Institution Name: NTU Nanyang Business School
    Concentration Applying to: Strategy (SMO)
    Date of Notification: 01/15
    Type of Notification: email
    Additional Comments: interview on 01/25 SGT

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Notification type: Skype interview
    Institution: Indiana University
    Concentration: Accounting
    Type of Notification:email
    Comments: plenty of dates to choose from so unsure how many they are interviewing. Mention of campus visit if Skype interview goes well

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information