Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation-Marketing (Quant and/or CB) 2018, Thanks!

flyseacat

Test Scores: GRE:Verbal 156 (73%) , Quantitative one is 164 (87%) the other is 169 (96%)

Undegrad GPA:: Top 30 US University, major: economics, special coursework: mathematics, Overall GPA: 3.2, Econ Major GPA: 3.8, Math/statistics GPA: 3.8, Dean's research fellowship (1 out of 500+ students)

Graduate GPA: Top 1/2 European Business School, EU grade scale: Very Good/ Excellent (US GPA: 3.9/4.0). Top 1 out of 100 on the master dissertation.

Research Experience: 5 years. (Have been selected as Ph.D. in other department, but did not pursue that degree because of lacking appropriate supervision)

RA for an internationally well-known professor (a professor of 4 departments) at Top 30 US University

Research fellow in a sociology research team at Top 10 US University

Collaboration with Top 2 European B-school professor

One competitive paper(quant) on AMA and one interactive paper(behavioral) on AIB (both solo-authored), one co-authored book with Top 10 US university professors. Some other research papers and writing samples.

Teaching Experience: have mentored MBA students in business school and drafted course note for them.

Work Experience: Manager at Internationally well-known luxury group(HQ); part-time consultant for Top 3 consulting firms.

Recommendations: one from master dissertation supervisor (chair of a department), one from another professor in my graduate school (we have a collaboration), one from Top 10 US university professor (we co-authored a book)

Dream Schools: I already applied for most of the Top 25 marketing programs. Since the deadlines for some other schools are in Mid(15-20th). January, I expect to receive some suggestions for backup schools?

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

1. not sure V156 could pass the cutline in most B-schools.

2. I think my major GPA and math GPA should be fine, and I have provided a list of relevant courses for all the schools I've applied. But I am not sure whether a low overall GPA will be a big drawback ( I have lower grades in some courses that are completely irrelevant, such as Astrology, French cinema, etc.)

3. Yesterday, I received a long reply from a Wharton professor (who perfectly match with my research interests), he briefly discussed my research ideas, and then introduced me to the admission chair and coordinator, he also told me to talk to his previous student, is it a positive sign?

4. Where could be my backup choices? Thank you, guys.

Edited by flyseacat

Just helping out - through an HTML parser:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Test Scores: GRE: Verbal 156 (73%) Quantitative one is 164 (87%) the other is 169 (96%)

Undegrad GPA: Top 30 US University, major: economics, special coursework: mathematics, Overall GPA: 3.2, Econ Major GPA: 3.8, Math/statistics GPA: 3.8, Dean's research fellowship (1 out of 500+ students)

Graduate GPA: Top 1/2 European Business School, EU grade scale: Very Good/ Excellent; US GPA: 3.9/4.0. Top 1 out of 100 on the master dissertation.

Research Experience:5 years, with Top 10 US university professors and Top 2 European B-school professors. have been selected as Ph.D. Candidate in other department. One competitive paper on AMA( sole-authored); one interactive paper on AIB (solo authored), one co-authored book with Top 10 US university professors. Some other research papers and writing samples.

Teaching Experience: have mentored MBA students in business school and drafted course note for them.

Work Experience: Junior Manager at Internationally well-known luxury group(HQ), part-time consultant for Top 3 consulting firms.

Recommendations: one from master dissertation supervisor (chair of a department), one from another professor in my graduate school (we have a collaboration), one from Top 10 US university professor (we co-authored a book)

Concentration Applying to: Marketing, my previous paper is in the field of Quant MKT, my current paper is more about social psychology. So I select the track based on the research fields of faculty members in that school. Any other suggestions?

Number of programs planned to apply to: 15-20

Dream Schools: I have applied for top marketing program this year. Since the deadlines for some schools are in Mid. January, I expect to receive more comments and suggestions for these programs.

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

-I am a research holic. I am extremely passionate about marketing research.

-Enjoy teaching and mentoring, enjoy writing cases for B-school students.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

1. I have taken GRE twice, not sure V156 could pass the cutline in most B-schools, and I am not sure whether I need to send an early GRE report with Q169 (but the Verbal section is lower)? (I mean if the school did not clearly mention whether they use the combined scores)

2. I think my major GPA and math/stat GPA should be fine, and I have provided a list of relevant courses for all the schools I've applied. But I am not sure whether a low overall GPA will be a big drawback ( I have lower grades in some courses that are completely irrelevant, such as Astrology, French cinema, etc.)

Where could be the relatively safe choices for me, and where could be my backup choices? Thanks for all your help!

1. not sure V156 could pass the cutline in most B-schools.

The verbal score won't hurt you. Don't worry about it. Schools filter scores based on the Quant section for the GRE, except for the really top schools where every marginal difference could help you tip over and get in.

How low is the verbal score for the GRE report with the 169Q?

2. I think my major GPA and math GPA should be fine, and I have provided a list of relevant courses for all the schools I've applied. But I am not sure whether a low overall GPA will be a big drawback ( I have lower grades in some courses that are completely irrelevant, such as Astrology, French cinema, etc.)

Don't worry about this. Your profile, as it current is, is already amazing in its own right. Be sure to subtly highlight your achievements - the Dean Research Fellowship and getting 1st on the masters dissertation - but not too much as to sound like you're bragging.

3. Yesterday, I received a long reply from a Wharton professor (who perfectly match with my research interests), he briefly discussed my research ideas, and then introduced me to the admission chair and coordinator, he also told me to talk to his previous student, is it a positive sign?

It seems like a very positive sign. If he's pouring time into contacting you, and directing you to certain resources, your solution space, at the very least, is non-empty!

I am not sure I understand the questions here, really.

You have already applied - what does it matter which schools are backup or some-such? See what you get. Besides, no one can tell you what your primary of secondary choices should be - it depends on fit with research interests which only you know.

You have an amazing profile. You must know this. And talking to top professors who want to work with you is a good sign in any language.

Good luck, I am sure you worked very hard to get here, and I am sure you will get into a top program.

Thanks for your message. To clarify my question: As you know I already applied, but the deadline for some schools (not very top) is around Jan. 15th. I wonder if I need to add more, just to be conservative.

I am not sure I understand the questions here, really.

You have already applied - what does it matter which schools are backup or some-such? See what you get. Besides, no one can tell you what your primary of secondary choices should be - it depends on fit with research interests which only you know.

You have an amazing profile. You must know this. And talking to top professors who want to work with you is a good sign in any language.

Good luck, I am sure you worked very hard to get here, and I am sure you will get into a top program.

Thanks for your message. To clarify my question: As you know I already applied, but the deadline for some schools (not very top) is around Jan. 15th. I wonder if I need to add more, just to be conservative.

I can tell you what Xanthus will say - that you should not limit yourself to T-25 schools, because a rank is not the be-all end-all, some programs are a better fit than higher ranked programs, etc..

That being said, and since you have already applied to most of the T-25 programs, and given how good your profile is, I wouldn't bother. Unless you completely botch the statement, it would be amazingly unlikely that you will not be accepted to a top program.

Since you used "Top 25" as cutoff, it seems to me that you wouldn't be happy with a lower ranked school even if the fit is good. That's very ambitious, but your profile is great.

Just adding more schools does't mean much to me, if your goal is to be conservative.

Adding more schools who are an excellent fit could mean a lot, because then you probably would be adding schools with great odds for you and weaker competition. But there is no way I can tell which schools would be an exccellent fit, we don't even know about your research interests. That`s the kind of work that each applicant must do really, since each one has different research interests.

At this stage of the game, I'd say you're done with applications.

I can tell you what Xanthus will say - that you should not limit yourself to T-25 schools, because a rank is not the be-all end-all, some programs are a better fit than higher ranked programs, etc...

You know that is something that Xanthus from 5 years ago would have said. A younger Xanthus. A Xanthus with less grey hair and more optimism. This Xanthus, though, this grey hair shell of man, would still say that. Listen if T25 is it for you, then go for it. It sounds like you already have some interest from one of the top programs. Don't waste your time on schools you wouldn't go to. At this point, you have 5 days to research programs and that's not enough time to put in the required work to figure out if any other schools are worth your time to apply to. Go with what you have. Sit back. Wait. Enjoy your life.

Good luck!

Not exactly 25, I explore the program based research fit...but I mean...most of them are Top 25. I have also applied BU, GIT, Rochester,etc.... I plan to add OSU, USC, and UIUC....I think I have a pretty good SOP, I just worried about the GRE cut-off......
I can tell you what Xanthus will say - that you should not limit yourself to T-25 schools, because a rank is not the be-all end-all, some programs are a better fit than higher ranked programs, etc..That being said, and since you have already applied to most of the T-25 programs, and given how good your profile is, I wouldn't bother. Unless you completely botch the statement, it would be amazingly unlikely that you will not be accepted to a top program.

Thanks for your comments. I totally agree. That's why I did not apply for Hass and Booth, since I did not find any person I would like to work with.

You know that is something that Xanthus from 5 years ago would have said. A younger Xanthus. A Xanthus with less grey hair and more optimism. This Xanthus, though, this grey hair shell of man, would still say that. Listen if T25 is it for you, then go for it. It sounds like you already have some interest from one of the top programs. Don't waste your time on schools you wouldn't go to. At this point, you have 5 days to research programs and that's not enough time to put in the required work to figure out if any other schools are worth your time to apply to. Go with what you have. Sit back. Wait. Enjoy your life.

Good luck!

Not exactly 25, I explore the program based research fit...but I mean...most of them are Top 25. I have also applied BU, GIT, Rochester,etc.... I plan to add OSU, USC, and UIUC....I think I have a pretty good SOP, I just worried about the GRE cut-off......

How is your AWA? The Verbal score is not great, but it's not bad, and as I understand, they care much more about the Quant. I do not know how the cutoffs are made. It seems obvious that you are at the very least half-way in Wharton, so I wouldn't worry too much. Most programs claim not to have a cutoff point.

For some of these places, GRE might matter. But for top places such as the one you've gotten some signals, I doubt they would even look at it.

V149....with Q169, and V156 with Q164... I found the average Verbal for some schools such as NYU Stern is around 157-159... I thought V156 is not a very good score, but won't be filtered out, so I sent the V156Q164 to most programs .....BTW, I applied CB/behavioral track for most programs, but for some programs, if I could choose a second track, I choose both. (I am interested in branding, global and cross-cultural marketing. My two conference papers are both in my favorite fields, but one on the econ side (quant), one about social psychology (behavioral).)

I believe some top program such as Kellogg, Hass is definitely not the place for me. Schools that are accepted combined total scores (like NYU, Duke) may be approachable...

The verbal score won't hurt you. Don't worry about it. Schools filter scores based on the Quant section for the GRE, except for the really top schools where every marginal difference could help you tip over and get in.

How low is the verbal score for the GRE report with the 169Q?

Don't worry about this. Your profile, as it current is, is already amazing in its own right. Be sure to subtly highlight your achievements - the Dean Research Fellowship and getting 1st on the masters dissertation - but not too much as to sound like you're bragging.

It seems like a very positive sign. If he's pouring time into contacting you, and directing you to certain resources, your solution space, at the very least, is non-empty!

• 4 weeks later...

I think the GRE score will be below the cutoff for many of the top schools. One thing to think about is whether the Wharton professor knew your GRE scores when they were nice to you?

I think though that you may have some success in 10-25. I would personally not apply to backup schools but redo your GRE and perhaps apply again next year if you don't get in.