Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profile Evaluation-Marketing (Quant and/or CB) 2018, Thanks!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Exclamation Profile Evaluation-Marketing (Quant and/or CB) 2018, Thanks!

Sponsored Ad:
    Test Scores: GRE:Verbal 156 (73%) , Quantitative one is 164 (87%) the other is 169 (96%)
    Undegrad GPA:: Top 30 US University, major: economics, special coursework: mathematics, Overall GPA: 3.2, Econ Major GPA: 3.8, Math/statistics GPA: 3.8, Dean's research fellowship (1 out of 500+ students)
    Graduate GPA: Top 1/2 European Business School, EU grade scale: Very Good/ Excellent (US GPA: 3.9/4.0). Top 1 out of 100 on the master dissertation.
    Research Experience: 5 years. (Have been selected as Ph.D. in other department, but did not pursue that degree because of lacking appropriate supervision)
    RA for an internationally well-known professor (a professor of 4 departments) at Top 30 US University
    Research fellow in a sociology research team at Top 10 US University
    Collaboration with Top 2 European B-school professor
    One competitive paper(quant) on AMA and one interactive paper(behavioral) on AIB (both solo-authored), one co-authored book with Top 10 US university professors. Some other research papers and writing samples.
    Teaching Experience: have mentored MBA students in business school and drafted course note for them.
    Work Experience: Manager at Internationally well-known luxury group(HQ); part-time consultant for Top 3 consulting firms.
    Recommendations: one from master dissertation supervisor (chair of a department), one from another professor in my graduate school (we have a collaboration), one from Top 10 US university professor (we co-authored a book)

Dream Schools: I already applied for most of the Top 25 marketing programs. Since the deadlines for some other schools are in Mid(15-20th). January, I expect to receive some suggestions for backup schools?

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?
    1. not sure V156 could pass the cutline in most B-schools.

2. I think my major GPA and math GPA should be fine, and I have provided a list of relevant courses for all the schools I've applied. But I am not sure whether a low overall GPA will be a big drawback ( I have lower grades in some courses that are completely irrelevant, such as Astrology, French cinema, etc.)

3. Yesterday, I received a long reply from a Wharton professor (who perfectly match with my research interests), he briefly discussed my research ideas, and then introduced me to the admission chair and coordinator, he also told me to talk to his previous student, is it a positive sign?

4. Where could be my backup choices? Thank you, guys.
    Last edited by flyseacat; 01-10-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile Evaluation-Marketing (Quant and/or CB) 2018, Thanks!

Your post has some formatting issues. Please rectify, unless it is just on my end.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tutonic View Post
    Your post has some formatting issues. Please rectify, unless it is just on my end.
    Not just you. Too hard to read.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Just helping out - through an HTML parser:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Test Scores: GRE: Verbal 156 (73%) Quantitative one is 164 (87%) the other is 169 (96%)
    Undegrad GPA: Top 30 US University, major: economics, special coursework: mathematics, Overall GPA: 3.2, Econ Major GPA: 3.8, Math/statistics GPA: 3.8, Dean's research fellowship (1 out of 500+ students)
    Graduate GPA: Top 1/2 European Business School, EU grade scale: Very Good/ Excellent; US GPA: 3.9/4.0. Top 1 out of 100 on the master dissertation.
    Research Experience:
    5 years, with Top 10 US university professors and Top 2 European B-school professors. have been selected as Ph.D. Candidate in other department. One competitive paper on AMA( sole-authored); one interactive paper on AIB (solo authored), one co-authored book with Top 10 US university professors. Some other research papers and writing samples.
    Teaching Experience: have mentored MBA students in business school and drafted course note for them.
    Work Experience: Junior Manager at Internationally well-known luxury group(HQ), part-time consultant for Top 3 consulting firms.
    Recommendations: one from master dissertation supervisor (chair of a department), one from another professor in my graduate school (we have a collaboration), one from Top 10 US university professor (we co-authored a book)
    Concentration Applying to: Marketing, my previous paper is in the field of Quant MKT, my current paper is more about social psychology. So I select the track based on the research fields of faculty members in that school. Any other suggestions?
    Number of programs planned to apply to: 15-20
    Dream Schools:
    I have applied for top marketing program this year. Since the deadlines for some schools are in Mid. January, I expect to receive more comments and suggestions for these programs.

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

-I am a research holic. I am extremely passionate about marketing research.

-Enjoy teaching and mentoring, enjoy writing cases for B-school students.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

1. I have taken GRE twice, not sure V156 could pass the cutline in most B-schools, and I am not sure whether I need to send an early GRE report with Q169 (but the Verbal section is lower)? (I mean if the school did not clearly mention whether they use the combined scores)

2. I think my major GPA and math/stat GPA should be fine, and I have provided a list of relevant courses for all the schools I've applied. But I am not sure whether a low overall GPA will be a big drawback ( I have lower grades in some courses that are completely irrelevant, such as Astrology, French cinema, etc.)

Where could be the relatively safe choices for me, and where could be my backup choices? Thanks for all your help!

Good post? Yes | No

Sorry guys, I just solved the format problem. Thanks for the help!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by flyseacat View Post
    1. not sure V156 could pass the cutline in most B-schools.
    The verbal score won't hurt you. Don't worry about it. Schools filter scores based on the Quant section for the GRE, except for the really top schools where every marginal difference could help you tip over and get in.
    How low is the verbal score for the GRE report with the 169Q?
    2. I think my major GPA and math GPA should be fine, and I have provided a list of relevant courses for all the schools I've applied. But I am not sure whether a low overall GPA will be a big drawback ( I have lower grades in some courses that are completely irrelevant, such as Astrology, French cinema, etc.)
    Don't worry about this. Your profile, as it current is, is already amazing in its own right. Be sure to subtly highlight your achievements - the Dean Research Fellowship and getting 1st on the masters dissertation - but not too much as to sound like you're bragging.
    3. Yesterday, I received a long reply from a Wharton professor (who perfectly match with my research interests), he briefly discussed my research ideas, and then introduced me to the admission chair and coordinator, he also told me to talk to his previous student, is it a positive sign?
    It seems like a very positive sign. If he's pouring time into contacting you, and directing you to certain resources, your solution space, at the very least, is non-empty!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

I am not sure I understand the questions here, really.
    You have already applied - what does it matter which schools are backup or some-such? See what you get. Besides, no one can tell you what your primary of secondary choices should be - it depends on fit with research interests which only you know.
    You have an amazing profile. You must know this. And talking to top professors who want to work with you is a good sign in any language.

Good luck, I am sure you worked very hard to get here, and I am sure you will get into a top program.

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for your message. To clarify my question: As you know I already applied, but the deadline for some schools (not very top) is around Jan. 15th. I wonder if I need to add more, just to be conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Granps View Post
    I am not sure I understand the questions here, really.
    You have already applied - what does it matter which schools are backup or some-such? See what you get. Besides, no one can tell you what your primary of secondary choices should be - it depends on fit with research interests which only you know.
    You have an amazing profile. You must know this. And talking to top professors who want to work with you is a good sign in any language.

Good luck, I am sure you worked very hard to get here, and I am sure you will get into a top program.

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for your reply!

Eager!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Thanks for your message. To clarify my question: As you know I already applied, but the deadline for some schools (not very top) is around Jan. 15th. I wonder if I need to add more, just to be conservative.
    I can tell you what Xanthus will say - that you should not limit yourself to T-25 schools, because a rank is not the be-all end-all, some programs are a better fit than higher ranked programs, etc..
    That being said, and since you have already applied to most of the T-25 programs, and given how good your profile is, I wouldn't bother. Unless you completely botch the statement, it would be amazingly unlikely that you will not be accepted to a top program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information