Urch Forums

Applicant Rating Items that accompany LOR's

collegedropout

It's my understanding that when a faculty member receives a letter of recommendation request from a doctoral program for an applicant, that he or she is also asked to fill out some sort of a rating profile as well. Do any of you know what specifically the applicant is rated upon?

The list varies by college but it typically includes stuff like Ability to communicate orally , Written Communication , Intellectual Ability , Ability to conduct independent research , Judgement & Maturity ,etc... They need to rate you with in the pool of students they know as top 2% , top 5%, top 15 % and so on....... They will also asked to mention the comparison pool and size, After this they can submit an optional letter. I hope this helps

PS: The questions and rating scale are different for different colleges.

The list varies by college but it typically includes stuff like Ability to communicate orally , Written Communication , Intellectual Ability , Ability to conduct independent research , Judgement & Maturity ,etc... They need to rate you with in the pool of students they know as top 2% , top 5%, top 15 % and so on....... They will also asked to mention the comparison pool and size, After this they can submit an optional letter. I hope this helps

PS: The questions and rating scale are different for different colleges.

Thanks, very helpful, exactly what I was looking for

• 4 weeks later...

What matters is one question which is "Where do you rate the student among the students you have taught or advised" (or some variation of that). You need to get an "exceptional"/top 5%/top 2% rating on that on whatever scale the school uses.

Online applications systems now force professors to answer that question so they can't be lazy and get their assistant to upload their LOR. The "ranking" question matters as a screening device. Then all that matters it the content of the LOR.