Urch Forums

Is it acceptable to decline a campus visit?

ar3019

Hey y'all!

I have been contacted by a few tier- 1 schools that are interested in flying me out to visit their campuses and departments. That being said, it is virtually impossible for me to take off work. Is it acceptable for me to decline a campus visit without adversely affecting the outcome?

Thanks!

Edited by ar3019

The schools may accept it, but I think it would be really naive to say for sure that it will not have any negative impact.

You probably know it would be better to accept, but you expect someone to tell you it doesn't matter. If there is a campus visit, there is a purpose for that, right?

If you really can't accept the invitation, you just have to decline and hope they will not hold it against you.

Schools are willing to work with you, but you should realize that campus visits are very valuable and you should try to prioritize them.

If you already have multiple flyouts from good schools, then you will almost definitely end up with an offer. Just don't do anything really stupid. But, this is a great opportunity to meet people from other schools and gather information on your end that will help you decide between offers. You won't have an opportunity to get to know people from multiple schools again for awhile.

To directly answer you question, on the margin it may have a negative effect. However, that is not the biggest cost that you should consider.

P.s. My reply reads a little judgmentally. You may have a really good reason that you can't take off work. Business schools understand this and won't judge harshly. For example, in accounting, busy season for professionals is also interview season. It is tough to get off work. However, a lot people still manage it.

For example, in accounting, busy season for professionals is also interview season. It is tough to get off work. However, a lot people still manage it.

Absolutely, I am working in assurance right now and it is impossible to get a day off. What would you suggest is the most tactful way to decline a fly out?

"I really wish I could visit in person, but due to busy season I don't have any ability to travel during the week. I continue to be very interested in your school and would be happy to speak on the phone or through skype if it would be helpful."

If you want to know more about schools, there's a bunch of blogs with info on them on the Nomad Credit website. Idk if that answers your question, but I've found it helpful in the past when I couldn't visit school. They also have a forum where you can ask questions and their exec team answers Nomad Credit - The International Student Blog | International Student Blog

Incoming AP at top R1 here passing by to reminisce about the PhD journey, but I felt that I needed to respond here. The truth for most places is that your application will likely be tossed and someone else will be invited. At any R1, there's no scarcity of qualified applicants so they will just invite someone else out who would get the slot over you. There's exceptions, but I foresee this being your experience at most schools where you turn down a visit. Tough position to be in - best of luck to you.

Incoming AP at top R1 here passing by to reminisce about the PhD journey, but I felt that I needed to respond here. The truth for most places is that your application will likely be tossed and someone else will be invited. At any R1, there's no scarcity of qualified applicants so they will just invite someone else out who would get the slot over you. There's exceptions, but I foresee this being your experience at most schools where you turn down a visit. Tough position to be in - best of luck to you.

Yeah, this isn't even close to a generalizable "truth". Accounting faculty understand that auditors are going through busy season at exactly the same time as phd recruiting. The idea that an admissions committee would just toss the application after already choosing to invite the person to campus is pretty far-fetched and would certainly not happen at my school.

Yeah, this isn't even close to a generalizable "truth". Accounting faculty understand that auditors are going through busy season at exactly the same time as phd recruiting. The idea that an admissions committee would just toss the application after already choosing to invite the person to campus is pretty far-fetched and would certainly not happen at my school.

I'm a fifth year in accounting and I completely agree with this. I would be surprised if this is idiosyncratic to accounting. We recruit professionals for business PhDs. Sometimes they are busy.

definitely not true for many places.

• 2 weeks later...

It is perfectly fine to not go on a campus visit if you are accepted. There will be no negative consequences.

If you have not been accepted to a university then not attending a campus visit would have the same negative consequences as not making time for a job interview for any job you wanted to pursue.