Urch Forums

If I attend a PhD Marketing at City Uni HK, will I find an academic job later?

littlepink

It is AACSB accredited, but their placement record is mainly in Asia. I'm not saying that you won't get a job in the US or Europe, but it wouldn't be as easy to do as if you got your degree from a US institution.

i thought the demand for marketing phds in the usa is so strong that they will take anyone who speaks english well and has a phd. wrong?

No one can predict the market 5 years from now. But I graduated from a Singapore school and got a job in a good European school (I had 1 top psych journal and 1 top management journal r&r). Although I did face issues in the job market and US schools were not really ready to look at me.

No one can predict the market 5 years from now. But I graduated from a Singapore school and got a job in a good European school (I had 1 top psych journal and 1 top management journal r&r). Although I did face issues in the job market and US schools were not really ready to look at me.

you are in management (OBHR)? which sg uni did u grad from and what is your country of birth if you dont mind me asking.

i thought the demand for marketing phds in the usa is so strong that they will take anyone who speaks english well and has a phd. wrong?

That is not what I've seen. Like I said the placement record from City Uni HK has largely been to Asia, there are obviously many reasons for this that are unrelated to anything from the demand side. From experiences I've heard from close friends, though, US schools have a bias for US schools.

If you do well in the program and come out with a publication or two, you shouldn't have an issue getting a job. If your goal is to be in the US, though, you should consider US programs. The path is much simpler with that route.

I can only try to repeat what I've heard, since I'm only in the beginning of my PhD.

The demand for Marketing PhD in the US is strong, compared to some other fields (like non-business, non-STEM PhDs). But that doesn't mean it is easy, especially if you want a good academic job. Supply is also strong, and it is harder for those with a PhD from other countries. Of course it is possible, but harder.

And the increase in the demand for Business PhDs in general has been partially helped by the boom of MBA programs in the last decades. However, now the boom is over, some MBA programs are thriving but many are struggling. And that's expected to have a negative impact in the job market for Business PhDs.

It still doesn't mean that things look bad in the future, but it seems it is an exaggeration to say it will be easy.

That is not what I've seen. Like I said the placement record from City Uni HK has largely been to Asia, there are obviously many reasons for this that are unrelated to anything from the demand side. From experiences I've heard from close friends, though, US schools have a bias for US schools.

If you do well in the program and come out with a publication or two, you shouldn't have an issue getting a job. If your goal is to be in the US, though, you should consider US programs. The path is much simpler with that route.

It is too late now lol. Well most of their students are Chinese (with limited English) so it would only make sense their placements are mostly to China as they are keen on going home.

I am in marketing. I know past HK graduates with top tier publications who faced issues breaking into the US market. At least those students got US flyouts. I got AMA interview from 1 US school but no flyouts. But I did reasonably well in getting non-US AMA interviews and flyouts and I know other Asian grads who had similar experience.

If you are doing CB, HK is a very good place to be as some of the most influential researchers of our field are based in HK and from what i know, the students attend classes and work with profs from other HK schools as well.

I am in marketing. I know past HK graduates with top tier publications who faced issues breaking into the US market. At least those students got US flyouts. I got AMA interview from 1 US school but no flyouts. But I did reasonably well in getting non-US AMA interviews and flyouts and I know other Asian grads who had similar experience.

If you are doing CB, HK is a very good place to be as some of the most influential researchers of our field are based in HK and from what i know, the students attend classes and work with profs from other HK schools as well.

my sense is being attractive in the us market is probably 'background dependent'... i.e. they want to know you grew up speaking english etc...

I highly doubt whether schools will weigh whether one grew up in an English speaking country against whether one has a top relevant publication when it comes to recruitment of professors. If they go down that route, next they might have to look at whether English is their mother tongue as to ascertain what the applicants might have spoken at home when growing up. I highly doubt that schools would do that. I know of top US professors who grew up in places like France, Germany and Sweden, which are not English speaking.

If one has a top PhD and a top publication, it is very highly likely that they can communicate in English.

my sense is being attractive in the us market is probably 'background dependent'... i.e. they want to know you grew up speaking english etc...

I highly doubt whether schools will weigh whether one grew up in an English speaking country against whether one has a top relevant publication...

If one has a top PhD and a top publication, it is very highly likely that they can communicate in English.

While the second part of that statement is definitely not true, I know plenty of people with amazing publications that cannot communicate effectively at all, the first part is definitely true. When faculty are looking at your application deciding whether to give you an AMA interview, I highly doubt they'll take the time to consider what country you grew up in. That means that it is possible that they will make a quick judgement about your likely communication skills based on your CV (where you did your undergrad and PhD). This is unfair. However if you have a strong profile (a publication or two and a well known advisor), it won't matter. They'll be willing to give you an AMA and check on your communication skills there.

It's more to do with schools' perception of the kind of training you have receive. Few years back, the perception was that only LBS and INSEAD provide the same level of doctoral training as a good US school. But that perception is slowly changing and at least nowadays, PhDs from asian schools (with publications) get AMA interviews and sometimes flyouts from north american schools. Who knows, maybe few years down the line, PhDs from these schools will be competitive in the US market.

• 2 weeks later...