Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If I attend a PhD Marketing at City Uni HK, will I find an academic job later?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Ax

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by sb29 View Post
    I am in marketing. I know past HK graduates with top tier publications who faced issues breaking into the US market. At least those students got US flyouts. I got AMA interview from 1 US school but no flyouts. But I did reasonably well in getting non-US AMA interviews and flyouts and I know other Asian grads who had similar experience.

If you are doing CB, HK is a very good place to be as some of the most influential researchers of our field are based in HK and from what i know, the students attend classes and work with profs from other HK schools as well.
    my sense is being attractive in the us market is probably 'background dependent'... i.e. they want to know you grew up speaking english etc...

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Ax

I highly doubt whether schools will weigh whether one grew up in an English speaking country against whether one has a top relevant publication when it comes to recruitment of professors. If they go down that route, next they might have to look at whether English is their mother tongue as to ascertain what the applicants might have spoken at home when growing up. I highly doubt that schools would do that. I know of top US professors who grew up in places like France, Germany and Sweden, which are not English speaking.

If one has a top PhD and a top publication, it is very highly likely that they can communicate in English.

Quote Originally Posted by littlepink View Post
    my sense is being attractive in the us market is probably 'background dependent'... i.e. they want to know you grew up speaking english etc...

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Ax

Quote Originally Posted by PobleNou View Post
    I highly doubt whether schools will weigh whether one grew up in an English speaking country against whether one has a top relevant publication...

If one has a top PhD and a top publication, it is very highly likely that they can communicate in English.
    While the second part of that statement is definitely not true, I know plenty of people with amazing publications that cannot communicate effectively at all, the first part is definitely true. When faculty are looking at your application deciding whether to give you an AMA interview, I highly doubt they'll take the time to consider what country you grew up in. That means that it is possible that they will make a quick judgement about your likely communication skills based on your CV (where you did your undergrad and PhD). This is unfair. However if you have a strong profile (a publication or two and a well known advisor), it won't matter. They'll be willing to give you an AMA and check on your communication skills there.
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

Assistant Professor

Good post? Yes | No

Re: If I attend a PhD Marketing at City Uni HK, will I find an academic job later?

It's more to do with schools' perception of the kind of training you have receive. Few years back, the perception was that only LBS and INSEAD provide the same level of doctoral training as a good US school. But that perception is slowly changing and at least nowadays, PhDs from asian schools (with publications) get AMA interviews and sometimes flyouts from north american schools. Who knows, maybe few years down the line, PhDs from these schools will be competitive in the US market.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: If I attend a PhD Marketing at City Uni HK, will I find an academic job later?

I don't think there would be bias against the location of the school, though you would need to make sure you had well-known letter writers and signal strenuously that you would do well in a US MBA classroom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information