Urch Forums

Male w/ Long Hair - Haircut for Interview?

TheOneAndOnly

Hey all,

Long-time lurker coming with a question: Now that the excitement of being invited for an interview has finally worn off, I'm wondering what to do with my hair. I wear it very long, usually tied together. I know that academics usually tend to be less conservative, but not sure how this holds for B-schools. I'd like to think that it can still look somewhat professional if tied together, but I was just wondering whether long hair was an absolute no-go at business schools.

I know that this is a very specific question, but I'd appreciate your input :)

Great question. I grew my hair out during the program and it was glorious If you keep it tied up you'll be fine. That tends to look more professional than down. You are correct that there will be some schools who will be slightly turned off by long hair, but you don't want to go to those schools anyway. Don't get a haircut just for this. Keep it long and love your life.

For the record I did eventually cut mine. I'm on the market this summer and that felt a little more like a gamble. But once I get tenure, I'm finally getting that hand tattoo I've always wanted.

• 2 weeks later...