Urch Forums

GRE cut off Marketing CB

tryingfor2019

I'm applying next year and I'm pondering if I should retake the GRE or not.

My score is not bad, but I'm targeting top schools. So, I'm in this dilemma: should I spend the summer studying for the GRE or should I get more research experience?

My current score is GRE:159 (83%) Verbal, 170 (97%) Quant, 4.0 (60%) Analytical Writing.

Any advice?

I believe there is a GRE to GMAT converter on ETS website. For GMAT, generally schools look at 90th percentile which should be around 700-710. However, if you have/about to have great research experience, then the score matters less

Following that advice, your GRE scores convert to a GMAT of 740. As I said, this should be good enough.

GRE Comparison Tool (For Institutions)

• 2 weeks later...

Schools care much more about Quant than Verbal or AW. I had a 97% Verbal, 95% AW, and 87% Quant. Several schools asked if I thought my Quant score was an accurate reflection of my abilities (no comments about my higher scores on the other sections!) and I said that I probably could have done better but was working 60 hours a week and had just adopted a child when I was studying for the test. I have a high GPA from a top Engineering undergrad program, so most folks were happy with that answer. But I think you're probably fine; just make sure your statement of purpose is well-written.

EDIT: Consumer Behavior is probably the most competitive of the marketing disciplines, so make sure your application is tight and don't hesitate to go pretty far down the rankings if you want to be sure that you get an offer. Every department will have TONS of CB applicants, both from marketing and business backgrounds, but also psych, sociology, etc.

I disagree. For very best schools your verbal GRE will be off putting for CB. Try and get above 95th percentile. Research experience would only matter if it leads to a good letter from someone they trust.

If your statement of purpose is not well-written, or if your TOEFL is low (if not a native English-speaker), I agree that this verbal score will be a red flag at top programs.